Can I anchor in Canadian water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In BC, the ocean bottom is federal so if you only anchor you are on federal property. There was an interesting article on private buoys here in coastal BC. The water the buoy floats in is BC territory, but the anchor system on the bottom is federal territory. I'm to lazy to look up the rules with the province you would be in, but you could be anchoring on Canadian federal territory.

If you believe the author, B. Van Drimmelem of the PY July 2021 pg.58 article on mooring buoys, (I have no reason not to) you have it reversed.

The Federal Government owns the water, while The Provincial Government owns the seabed of the "inland seas." and the foreshore.

Either way there seems to be a complete lack of enforcement by any Government including the City, look at False Creek, just disgusting. Don't fall in!

The Port Authority seem to be the only agency with any nerve to enforce the rules.

Let's hope they improve.

The answer for you should be easy - just anchor to the west of the downbound channel in US waters

Crystal Bay

Crystal bay is 1 mile away from my dock (Mich)
If you drop anchor you are under the same rules as going to Canada- no difference at all.
I would suggest anchoring about 1/2 North in a bay called Dunbar & Sullivan. It’s American water and you will have a beautiful view of the large ships going by.
Canada is a headache right now.

Crystal bay is 1 mile away from my dock (Mich)
If you drop anchor you are under the same rules as going to Canada- no difference at all.
I would suggest anchoring about 1/2 North in a bay called Dunbar & Sullivan. It’s American water and you will have a beautiful view of the large ships going by.
Canada is a headache right now.

Now that's what I'm talking about! I'll check into it. Thank you, Waterman!

Specifically Crystal Bay on the Canadian side of the Detroit River. I get that I do not meet the criteria to enter Canada, but the rules for entering Canada are muddy these days. The page below summarizes important information for private boaters who are navigating Canadian waters or hoping to enter Canada by boat.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html

The language in question is about a third the way down the page:

If you enter Canadian waters for leisure and touring, including pleasure fishing, sightseeing and other discretionary purposes (known as loop movements), you are not required to report to the CBSA as long as the boat does not land on Canadian soil, anchor, moor or come alongside another boat in Canadian waters.

I do not plan to land on Canadian soil nor anchor alongside another boat in Canadian waters. My plan is to anchor all by my lonesome on some quiet weekday and enjoy the clear waters and nearby ship traffic in the Detroit River. It really comes down to how you read all those commas in that last compound sentence.

Anyone know of a ruling or clarification on that section?
Note the comma between anchor and moor making them separate from coming along side another boat.

To paraphrase the words of US industry about compliance with ANY regulations:
"Well, Ottawa didn't tell me that I couldn't do it."

From US CBP website: "If your boat has anchored or tied up, you are considered to have entered the United States."

SAME RULES FOR CANADA - FULL STOP.

Canadian Boarder Patrol is quite clear hear in the PNW. Don't drop your anchor unless you have cleared Customs. There is an understanding that if you have an emergency that you can drop anchor after declaring the emergency to the Coast Guard and fly the Quarantine flag. I have seen this happen on boats intending to pass through the inland water way with out stopping.

A couple of years ago the CBP started cracking down on US fishing boats that dropped anchor to fish. They were fine with you fishing and trolling but no anchor dropping.

This right here. ☝️
Was listening to radio one day and a boat from Alaska was having trouble and this is what he did.
He was given permission to anchor until the problem was fixed and was told that when it was, to immediately haul anchor and proceed to destination.
If he had to come ashore was given instructions as to where and how to do it.
It is not something to be taken lightly.

I agree with all of you who have correclty interpreted the comma.

Coming into Canadain waters: no Anchoring, no Mooring and no coming alongside another vessel.

In the PNW I listen to the Canadian Coast Guard advise US transiting boaters going to and from Alaska about this regulation. As long as they transit they do not need to report other than contact the CG with travel itinerary and expected transit time.

I do see that interpretation, and I also see this one.

I do not intend to land on Canadian soil, and I do not intend to anchor, moor or come alongside another boat in Canadian waters. I plan to be anchored all by myself well away from any other boat.

One of Winston Churchill's famous quotes was his description of the USA and England as "two peoples separated by a common language". The Canadian English interpretation is that the word "alongside" only applies to the phrase "come alongside". "Anchoring by yourself" is anchoring.

Why not give it a try and see what happens.. just be prepared to move all of your personal stuff off the boat…because they can confiscate your boat …worst case is loose the boat and a fine.. the Canadian authorities are not going to argue over semantics..

Friend of mine works with the Canadian Coast Guard. You cannot anchor, you cannot moor, you cannot come alongside another boat, you cannot touch Canadian soil without going through CBSA. Once your anchor hits the ground even in the water, you are considered “landed”. So sorry to say.

Why not give it a try and see what happens.. just be prepared to move all of your personal stuff off the boat…because they can confiscate your boat …worst case is loose the boat and a fine.. the Canadian authorities are not going to argue over semantics..

I'd do it for the day. Worst case you had some engine issue you worked on and it's have a nice day thanks officer.

As long as no part of you or your boat touch Canadian soil (or something registered to Canada) you are ok.

Your anchor touching the bottom in Canadian waters counts as touching Canada.

Just an observation. The Canada Border Services, although we like to think it is friendly service, I will tell you that if you try to “out think or out reason” custom rules, they have little tolerance - just like US Customs.

Seems to me that you are trying to be the "Philadelphia Lawyer" type, but this (from https://boating.ncf.ca/canadaborder.html ) seems pretty clear to me:
"The captain of a boat arriving in Canada must report to Canadian Border Services Agency immediately upon arrival at designated reporting stations. As a convenience, many marinas are eligible and have instructions posted by the docks with toll-free phone number to call. It is illegal to dock or anchor in Canadian waters before checking in."

Last edited:
One more for the ignore list

Ha! My internet noise tolerance is really high, but I still have just a few on ignore -- can count them on the fingers of one hand -- but just a little makes a big difference in my peace and serenity. (Aqua's not on it for that minor post necessarily, I'm just sayin')

Back
Top Bottom