Trying To Rig Up A Simple Backup Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squidward

Veteran Member
Hi, I've got a Bayliner 3888 that has the aftermarket cockpit roof extension, as well as a large davit system. A lot of junk in the trunk, as it were, and it makes it really difficult to see my stern from the flybridge while docking.

I'd like to set up a simple, wireless camera that connects to a tablet, which I could easily monitor on the flybridge.

Sounds easy, but it's become a confusing endeavor. Most cheap cameras are sold with home security in mind, so they're cloud-synced, motion-detecting, night vision, requires an existing WiFi network, blah, blah, blah...

If I end up needing a WiFi network for this then I'd need to run it off the inverter, etc, and this becomes more complicated than it needs to be.

I also see pricier RV/Truck systems for sale. They come with a dedicated monitor that I'd have to mount on the bridge and connect to power...again, more complicated than it needs to be.

Anyone have any advice?

In the film/TV business we often use a GoPro that can be monitored on iphones and ipads.

Last edited:
My wife with Ear Tech provides dock assist visuals from the cockpit. We recently got a new pickup with the 360 degree view camera setup. For bigger rigs it is a game changer when maneuvering in tight places.

This technology should be entering the marine business, albeit a small market vs a few million units per year in the car and truck business.

In the film/TV business we often use a GoPro that can be monitored on iphones and ipads.

Thanks for the idea! The GoPros are a bit overpriced, but Amazon has a bunch of knock-offs that should perform the same function. Just needed a simple, WiFi-enabled camera with an easy connection and I think this fits the bill.

My wife with Ear Tech provides dock assist visuals from the cockpit. We recently got a new pickup with the 360 degree view camera setup. For bigger rigs it is a game changer when maneuvering in tight places.

This technology should be entering the marine business, albeit a small market vs a few million units per year in the car and truck business.

Totally going to pick up some of those headsets. Shouting at my girlfriend when she's out of sight doesn't work so well ;)

Maybe I am missing something but I can't see how to 'live-stream' a GoPro wirelessly. Are you able to provide some insight?

Maybe I am missing something but I can't see how to 'live-stream' a GoPro wirelessly. Are you able to provide some insight?

I know you weren't asking me, but newer models with WiFi capability would have an associated app. You'd join your phone to the camera's WiFi network and then open the app to view and control it.

I know you weren't asking me, but newer models with WiFi capability would have an associated app. You'd join your phone to the camera's WiFi network and then open the app to view and control it.
No problemo. I realize that the newer models have wifi, however, that only seems to be used for uploads. Live-streaming seems to require a USB link. I share your frustration in trying to find something simple for this particular application.

Last edited:
And, you need a reverse image camera

For at least the last decade, GoPro has supported live monitoring on the iphone app.
I personally don't use it so I don't know if it needs a wi-fi router or not.

Last edited:
And, you need a reverse image camera
I suppose if you are emulating a rear view mirror but not if you'd prefer the actual view.
Image flipping is usually one of the viewing options available in most video cameras.

Last edited:
Thanks, will check this out.

I am selling my wireless camera kit, if interested

Hi, I've got a Bayliner 3888 that has the aftermarket cockpit roof extension, as well as a large davit system. A lot of junk in the trunk, as it were, and it makes it really difficult to see my stern from the flybridge while docking.
I'd like to set up a simple, wireless camera that connects to a tablet, which I could easily monitor on the flybridge.
Anyone have any advice?

If you are interested, this may be a solution for you.
I ended up installing a Raymarine aft-facing camera and no longer need it.
If interested: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3105120329731131

Stephan

No power cables to run. Battery operated, self-contained.

That one is tempting. Might mess with it in the long run. Running power to it from the engine room would be fairly simple.

No power cables to run. Battery operated, self-contained.

That was the appeal for me, initially. NO fusss.
One of my friends uses the same kit to monitor his engines, with two cameras, like mine.

All the best.
S-

camera system for boat

Try looking up the WYZE system. i have about 6 of their cameras. on my house, in my basement, in my vacation house outside. in my office.
excellent system. low cost, good support.
they have a battery powered camera you could use if you have wifi.

no conflicts. just satisfied long term customer

Please let us know how this works out for you! I'm considering something similar.
Thanks.

I am using the WYZE Indoor/Outdoor camera and have it connected to my tablet and phone on the flybridge via wifi. So far it has been a very good experience. I run a local wifi using a peplink LTE router.

The camera is only $35 at Bestbuy and has worked in a variety of conditions. I can view the camera locally or remotely via livestream on the web. I run

Like this photo showing my dinghy cover is almost off and I will run during lunch to fix it.

I use it underway, when docking and checking on crew. So far no complaints.

Attachments

• TollySternnoback.JPG
    TollySternnoback.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 26
  • TollySternbackon.JPG
    TollySternbackon.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Check Amazon for Yakry back up cameras. I bought one with two cameras. One on the transom and one in the engine room. All self contained with monitor. Need 12v at each location. The ER camera is powered by the light circuit so when hit the switch it turns on the light and activates the camera.

I am using the WYZE Indoor/Outdoor camera and have it connected to my tablet and phone on the flybridge via wifi. So far it has been a very good experience. I run a local wifi using a peplink LTE router.

The camera is only $35 at Bestbuy and has worked in a variety of conditions. I can view the camera locally or remotely via livestream on the web. I run

Like this photo showing my dinghy cover is almost off and I will run during lunch to fix it.

I use it underway, when docking and checking on crew. So far no complaints.

That's pretty sweet.

Yeah, an onboard WiFi network is definitely on my long-term wish list, but for now I really needed something that was ready to go out of the box. I just moved to a new slip, and there's practically no clearance between boats.

Pics show what I've go so far. An Apex camera and a Telesin quick release mount. The idea is that I'll only have it up when the boat is in use.

Early impressions, the camera is a pretty good quality knock-off. The only fly in the ointment is that the "Up" button on the camera doesn't function quite right when inside the waterproof shell. When the camera is on, you're supposed to be able to just tap that button to activate WiFi, but the outside button isn't perfectly aligned with the inner button. You can still turn on WiFi via the menus but it's a few extra steps. Going to try and fix this by adding a shim or something. I'm sure an authentic GoPro wouldn't have this problem, but I made my choice and I stand by it.

Tested the app on my phone and was able to view the camera from a couple of rooms away, so I'm sure it'll work fine on the boat. Going to find out this weekend.

Attachments

• 20220513_112943.jpg
    20220513_112943.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220513_112950.jpg
    20220513_112950.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 26
I use an Amcrest ASH42-B camera. I already had a 12 volt WiFi router on the boat. The camera communicates wirelessly with the router. The camera requires a 12 volt power supply. The camera is accessible with IOS, Android and Windows operating systems.

There's a POE (Power Over Ethernet) Amcrest camera, which can be useful if an Ethernet cable can be routed between the router and camera. This cable provides both communication and power.

Try this one. Creates its own wifi network that we connect our iPad to. No routers, networks etc required. Functions as a true backup camera with reversed or regular view. Backup grid on or off. Excellent quality and low light vision. Simple mounting. Does require a 12v connection, I’ve got ours switched to enable turning it on before we need it so iPad can connect. Photos from the radar arch of our 3888.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/type-s-solar-powered-backup-camera-1080p-hd-0350726p.html
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/type-s-solar-powered-backup-camera-1080p-hd-0350726p.html
IMG_0752.JPGIMG_0753.jpg

Ok, first results of using the Apex camera. For this test, I mounted it at the base of a flagpole at the rear of the cockpit roof. Selected video quality is 1080/30FPS.

Video quality is quite acceptable for my needs. In terms of coverage, it's alright but it could be better. I think I need to take it up higher. It's raining right now, so maybe I'll try later.

On another note, I'll want to keep this thing charged, because even just messing around and not recording anything really taxes the battery. Again, GoPro knockoff, so results may vary. For the price I can't really complain.

Attachments

• 20220514_074845.jpg
    20220514_074845.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220514_074643.jpg
    20220514_074643.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 18
So here is what I get when the camera is mounted at the boat's highest point. Admittedly I was hoping I'd get to see the boat's corners, but the cockpit extension makes that impossible I'm finding. I'd have to build a whole other mast to overhang the stern.

Still, I'd say it's better than nothing. I'll give it a proper test when I go out next weekend.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220514-155311.jpg
    Screenshot_20220514-155311.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220514_154705.jpg
    20220514_154705.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 16

Sounds easy, but it's become a confusing endeavor. Most cheap cameras are sold with home security in mind, so they're cloud-synced, motion-detecting, night vision, requires an existing WiFi network, blah, blah, blah...

If I end up needing a WiFi network for this then I'd need to run it off the inverter, etc, and this becomes more complicated than it needs to be.

I also see pricier RV/Truck systems for sale. They come with a dedicated monitor that I'd have to mount on the bridge and connect to power...again, more complicated than it needs to be.

Anyone have any advice?
Heres the camera https://www.amazon.ca/Camecho-water...pd_rd_i=B078W61DLF&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_i
Heres the wirless unit no network required
https://www.amazon.ca/AKK-625-600-A...7&sprefix=wireless+cameras+bac,aps,97&sr=8-58

I weould hook it up to your video input on your MFD

Back-Up Camera

So, here’s what we did: went to Costco and bought an auto license plate back-up camera. We hang the license plate surround (with integral camera and solar cell to charge the camera battery) from our upper-deck railing, facing aft, using hook and loop straps from the big box marine store.

The unit came with a small monitor, about the size of a cell phone, that plugs into 12-volt via a 12-volt power port//cigarette lighter plug, and included a suction mount that we use on the interior window at the lower helm station (when docking we use the lower helm).

We use the unit for docking and also when there’s a lot of traffic in tight quarters.

It works pretty good for the price, which was about $120. It’s functioned for a year+ We store the license surround in the lower pilothouse when not in use, the integral solar array keeps the unit charged up.

Perfect solution? No, but we side-stepped a lot of issues like hard-wiring, need for wi-fi (I’m assuming it’s using some sort of Bluetooth or similar tech to link the camera to the monitor).

I use an Amcrest ASH42-B camera. I already had a 12 volt WiFi router on the boat. The camera communicates wirelessly with the router. The camera requires a 12 volt power supply. The camera is accessible with IOS, Android and Windows operating systems.

There's a POE (Power Over Ethernet) Amcrest camera, which can be useful if an Ethernet cable can be routed between the router and camera. This cable provides both communication and power.

Bob, What is the latency on this camera? A 1 or 2 second delay?

The simplest solution for me was to run a wire and forget about fiddling with a phone or tablet. I got this inexpensive backup camera system:
71PWtUHO3ML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DK81QZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a great color picture, is easily configured for reverse or normal image, has infrared LED lighting so works well at night, and comes with a second camera that you can put wherever you like: engine room, blindspot, etc. It's designed to be used with a truck and trailer, so there's plenty of cable. I like being able to glance at the screen to watch for overtaking vessels (who don't know how to use their horn) and to check that the dinghy is still with us when towing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom