View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 07:30 AM   #22
mvweebles
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Funny how cruising for a few months means different things to different people. Over the weekend my wife and I started a conversation about whether to do the Baja Ha Ha this falll. The Ha Ha is a loose knit cruisers rally from Southern California to Cabo San Lucas, about 750 nms though we'd leave from Ensenada so a 75nm headstart. There are two stops, only one of which has a town (and even that is around 20 miles from a paved road). The three legs are 280nms, 230nms, and 225nms. Like many who join the Ha Ha, it's a stake-in-the-calendar that will force us to depart. The Ha Ha is 98% sail - a few years ago a much smaller "powerboat" rally was started. "CUBAR" I believe was started out of San Diego yacht club. From my vantage, has more of an armada feel to it than the austere west coast style sailor vibe imbued by Latitude 38, the free magazine distributed throughout the west coast.

We enjoy shopping locally in Mexico. Over the years, small tiendas have given way to large American style grocery stores in many places, but not all. I recently purchased a dozen eggs from a store that sold them individually. Many stores carry Kirkland (Costco) products - toilet paper is especially welcomed as the Mexican versions of TP are not great.

For us, for remote cruising, having a good larder of staples is important. Olive oil, vinegar beyond standard white, coffee, spices, cured meats, cheese, etc. Our cooking emulates local influences but still, it's nice to have familiar ingredients. My wife really enjoys a Bloody Mary from time to time. Horseradish is impossible to find in Mexico so we stock up in the US.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote