30 to 50 amp breaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vandeusen

Okay guys can you please tell me out with this one currently my trawler is 30 amp main using 8 gauge wiring which says 600 volts my breaker box has a double 30 amp breaker meaning it's one breaker with two switches so if I blow the fuse I have to reset both in other words

My question is couldn't I replace the outside connector to a 50 amp and then since its eight gauge wire which should/ can handle 50 amps, replace the 30 amp main breaker to a 50 amp main breaker? All the wiring in the trawler is the same 8 gauge wire thank you for your attention in this matter

This is the panel and breaker

Attachments

• 16520257822611912840603123718891.jpg
    16520257822611912840603123718891.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 16520258346426954119703509926502.jpg
    16520258346426954119703509926502.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 37
50A 125/250 cords are usually 6ga.

I changed our, but also did the panel, inlet, and wiring from inlet to panel.

I suggest a lot of research on your part and take very few suggestions here seriously as electrical systems without a complete review become from problematic to dangerous.

50A 125/250 cords are usually 6ga.

I changed our, but also did the panel, inlet, and wiring from inlet to panel.

I suggest a lot of research on your part and take very few suggestions here seriously as electrical systems without a complete review become from problematic to dangerous.

Okay so then couldn't I just simply from the outside of the trawler where I replace the outlet to a 50 amp run 6 gauge to the 50 amp Breakers in the panel? When you look at the panel in the big picture some of the breakers are 20 amps and some are 15 app so there is a lot running on 30 amps as it is

Slow down here. What is your real question. I believe you have a double pole breaker so that both the neutral and the power are tripped together. This is a safety item. Changing to a 50a breaker dose not change anything,

Unless your problem is tripping the breaker because you need more power. So again, what is the real question?

If you decide to upgrade to 50a you will need to do a few things. First decide if you are going 50a 125v (becoming obsolete in my neighborhood) or 50a 125/250 ( more expensive but capable of delivering 100a of 125v or 50a of 250v ). Then you will need to run 6ga to the breaker. Now comes the tricky part. From the breaker to the distribution needs to also be capable of handling the 50a. There are so many different ways used in boats that it is hard for me to recommend an action with out seeing more of your distribution setup.

Okay guys can you please tell me out with this one currently my trawler is 30 amp main using 8 gauge wiring which says 600 volts my breaker box has a double 30 amp breaker meaning it's one breaker with two switches so if I blow the fuse I have to reset both in other words

My question is couldn't I replace the outside connector to a 50 amp and then since its eight gauge wire which should/ can handle 50 amps, replace the 30 amp main breaker to a 50 amp main breaker? All the wiring in the trawler is the same 8 gauge wire thank you for your attention in this matter

Whoa there, Vandeusen. Suggest you take a breather, and call an ABYC-certified marine electrician aboard for a look-see. They'll be able to accurately assess your needs and desires, and advise you on how to proceed accordingly. Trying to use an open forum for this sort of electrical advice is NOT a great idea.

Regards,

Pete

There are some tricks to the trade for upgrading distribution. I was upgrading a 30a boat to 50a. The panel was tied together with copper strips that were adequate for 30a but not for 50a. I was able to cut one copper strip breaking the panel into two separate panels. I then ran two 8ga wires from the 50a breaker, each to its own 30a breaker and then from each 30a breaker to the panel. This gave me two panels each with its own 30a breaker.

Absolutely get a certified marine electrician to consult with and buy off on any action you take.

I was also considering just running a complete separate breaker box / panel and write it from outside the boat next to the current one and into the closet to its own breaker box and 30 amp breaker then I can take the onboard AC and move it over to that breaker box my problem is with this Marine Trader nobody took into account hot water heater and the AC combined would be 30 amps by itself anything else that you turn on IE TV microwave coffee pot is putting the 30 amp over its capacity I'm trying to as one would say relieve the stress of the electrical system by either converting 2 a 50 amp or putting 2 30 amp systems

Last edited:
I have done it both ways. Having two 30a shore cords and sockets. I have done 50a upgrades and I have converted to 50a 125/250v into two separate 30a systems. Seeking professional help to either design or review your work is sound advice.

Often people get the power side right and fail to do the neutral side correctly.

Good advice so far and agree.
Spend the $ to get a pro (ABYC Not dirt house) electrician to assess what you have and layout best way to accomplish what you want.
Then OK so save $ by DIY for the labor intensive & messy stuff of running new cables, mounting any new panels, etc.
Then have the pro make final connections or inspect what you've done depending on what you are capable doing.

I’m not clear on the problem you are trying to fix. Are your breakers flipping frequently?
How much are you actually drawing with max load? Have you checked with a clamp meter?

The sub panel breaker #’s don’t necessarily mean what they draw - just what wire gauge they protect (at least they should)

Unless the main breaker panel in your boat is rated for 50 amps, you cannot simply change the breakers.

ABYC requires that the main breaker disconnect both the hot and neutral connections simultaneously.

You really need a qualified marine electrician to make any changes such as you are considering.

Add a separate 30-amp service to your boat and run with 2-30 amp cords. Easiest to do for these old MTs. I added a new one in my 1979 MT. It handles one of the hot water heaters (I have two) and two of the ACs (I have three total). This was an easy way to add more service to the boat and distribute the load easier. The additional panel is located under my PH service area inside a cabinet.

Add a separate 30-amp service to your boat and run with 2-30 amp cords. Easiest to do for these old MTs. I added a new one in my 1979 MT. It handles one of the hot water heaters (I have two) and two of the ACs (I have three total). This was an easy way to add more service to the boat and distribute the load easier. The additional panel is located under my PH service area inside a cabinet.

Tend to agree . ..it is easier.

But in todays world, if living aboard, a 50A service does bring in even more available power for luxuries for those who desire them.

I was also considering just running a complete separate breaker box / panel and write it from outside the boat next to the current one and into the closet to its own breaker box and 30 amp breaker then I can take the onboard AC and move it over to that breaker box my problem is with this Marine Trader nobody took into account hot water heater and the AC combined would be 30 amps by itself anything else that you turn on IE TV microwave coffee pot is putting the 30 amp over its capacity I'm trying to as one would say relieve the stress of the electrical system by either converting 2 a 50 amp or putting 2 30 amp systems

I gave up reading this halfway through. It gives the impression that you never inhale. Call in an expert to take a look at your current situation while you chill on the back deck or flybridge. :cool:

I gave up reading this halfway through. It gives the impression that you never inhale. Call in an expert to take a look at your current situation while you chill on the back deck or flybridge. :cool:

Why stop reading?

Simple answer, simple solution for a common problem.

No need for a pro if the OP doesn't seriously take internet advice without lots of other investigation.

Some people are actually really smart despite starting off with simplistic questions that make all of us doubt that they should tackle serious/dangerous projects. But we shouldn't assume anything till they pretty much prove reason is not required on their part.

Why stop reading?

Simple answer, simple solution for a common problem.

No need for a pro if the OP doesn't seriously take internet advice without lots of other investigation.

Some people are actually really smart despite starting off with simplistic questions that make all of us doubt that they should tackle serious/dangerous projects. But we shouldn't assume anything till they pretty much prove reason is not required on their part.

It's not the content. It's the style. I don't feel the need to subject myself to that. Sorry, I thought my response would have revealed that. My bad. I should have spelled it out.

Back
Top Bottom