Hurricane Sandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Good luck to you guys along the Eastern seaboard. Sandy could be a big one. Hopefully, many of your boats have been hauled for the season.

I have been talking with the captain that looks after Moonstruck in my absence. We have decided not to haul as we did for Isaac. Ft. Pierce is forecast for about 40 mph winds from the NE to NW for the next 48 hours or so. That will blow a lot of water into the lagoon from the ocean. We are getting the lines reset for high tides, and doubling them up. Some covers are coming off. Thankfully we are in a snug corner with some wind protection, but the surge does bounce around the harbor. Hopefully, the storm will take a turn out to sea and get away from the East coast.

So far they are saying it won't be much to worry about in Charleston. We shall see.

Best wishes to all along the path.
It is interesting to hear some of the comentators description; Monster storm on steroids, Frankenstorm, Stormzilla and so on. Hoping for a right turn!
Good luck all.
Steve W

I am here just south of port everglades. The wind has been picking up all day. I have doubled my lines, still wanna put more fenders out when it stops raining. The electric has just flickered off and on. Waves in the gulfstream are 14-17 ft

Skinny Dippin' has already got her hard on from working on her bottom. We are headed down tomorrow to strip her of her top and put some junk in her trunk. :blush::rofl::lol:

I am re-reading the perfect storm, and just have gotten to the part where the waves are reaching 100'. They think that some reached a height of 120'. I hope the sword fishing fleet headed back in on the warnings. If they are far to the east it takes a week of steaming to get back home.

The perfect storm was caused by a low pressure area along the Canadian border moving offshore while a hurricane was coming up over the gulf stream. They the whole thing was stirred up by the gulf stream winds. It was a witches brew. Hopefully, nothing like that this time.

From one who has hauled out already this year due to a hurricane, prayers and well wishes.

Screws up our annual run South.

The bride comes back from Vancouver Sat nite , and it takes time to winterize the house water system.
Sunday departure (even Sat nite) looks like too late depending when/where Sandy swings ashore.

Looks like it will be a good one ,

FF

Last edited by a moderator:
Big moon and a good blow should be interesting.

Already falling apart from the horror story first being reported (sensationalism anyone?)...the media, politicians and average boaters/marinas need to get a grip.

This storm from 3 days ago had some real forecasting issues to surmount....tomorrow afternoon will be the real time to make decisions for the Mid-Atlantic to New England coasts...till then it's only been a guess.

Actually this storm seems unique in that the high wind bands extend 400 miles from the center.

So the possible track bubble seen on TV is NOT the size of the storm footprint.

Our fear , in an attempt to get out before it , is the closure of roads and bridges to our passage.

We tow a trailer , and empty ones can be flipped going over a bridge with high winds.

Ours is full ,full. full, and probably right at its 1500lb load rating , but rules is rules.

Interesting choice , stay home and sir probably in the dark for 4 days or run ,possibly to get stopped before a bridge and sit on the side of I-95 for 4 days?

My company does hurricane disaster relief, and I'm already planning to head that way next week. Also, FEMA has put all it's inspectors on standby.

Good luck Don, (Moonstruck). Let us know how things turn out.
We're snug and experiencing 20 kt gust over here on the west coast.

Good luck Don, (Moonstruck). Let us know how things turn out.
We're snug and experiencing 20 kt gust over here on the west coast.

Thanks, Tim. I talked with Capt. Tris last evening. He looks after Moonstruck in my absence. His charter boat the Last Mango sits in the slip next to us. That gives a great level of comfort. He says it looks like things were calming down to about 20-25 mph winds and gusts to about 35. Looks like the worst is over. The lines were adjusted for the extremely high water. I don't know if the water rose over the dock, but it was near there. So far so good.

By the way, I recommend the Last Mango for a fun day of fishing.

Deep sea Charter fishing in Ft. Pierce Treasure Coast FL  Vero Beach Port St. Lucie Charter Deep Sea Sport Bottom Fishing Florida

"Also, FEMA has put all it's inspectors on standby."

Wonder IF I have time to cancel my homeowners insurance.

Fema gives out checks by the bushel basket , but NOT to folks with any insurance .

Looks big and dangerous..

Attachments

• Sandy.jpg
    Sandy.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 83

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom