So what am I missing here? Enough power to melt a planet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simi 60

Guru
Vessel Make
Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
As a result of these high energy demands the owner/operator has been forced to run a 20 or 40 KW generator 24 hours a day, while cruising.

A forward-thinking owner’s 92-foot steel expedition trawler can cruise for months at a time without plugging in to shore power

A boat that can survive 3 months unplugged
Has 9 victron multiplus
2 X 40kw and 1 X 20kw Genset
Enough battery to run a city

We have been 6 years unplugged
Have 1 victron multiplus
Have 1x 7 kVA Genset rarely used
Run more electrical devices now than we did on the dirt.

Why would you need so much?
Is it a super villains water based lair and are they trying to melt a planet in a quest for world domination?
What am missing?

https://www.passagemaker.com/technical/pacific-powerhouse

https://revisionmarine.com/projects/new-pacific/

img_9449.webp

new-pacific-exterior@2x.jpg

Last edited:
Spy boat built to contain a lot of electronics monitoring gear?

I'd guess a few extra freezers for food storage plus unrealistic expectations around HVAC (or the boat design leave some spaces only really usable with HVAC). Some people just aren't willing to compromise on what they want, no matter how impractical. Heck, I've seen boats pull into the lift pit for a haulout with the generator running and the A/C on...

I was told the owner is working towards an electric drive system for the entire boat. I see her daily and NP is one of the coolest expedition yachts anywhere. I was told he wants some day able to cruise on amps alone.
Hollywood

Last edited:
I was told the owner is working towards an electric drive system for the entire boat. I see her daily and NP is one of the coolest expedition yachts anywhere. I was told he wants some day able to cruise on amps alone.
Hollywood

But he won't be cruising on amps alone
He'll need to run a lake of dinosaur juice through the multiple Gensets to get the amps.

All he can achieve for now, with today's tech, is a diesel electric boat, like the large trains. Still might be worth doing, as with a big enough battery bank he'd have the option of a short period of silent running with the electric drives running off the batts alone for a bit, like non-nuclear submarines.

Hey, there's an idea. Get recyclable ex-submarine batteries..? :)

Last edited:
Sexist to say this and apologize in advance. 5kw/ female. Older ones less.

Large enough boat, Bet it has a commercial constant pressure electric over hydraulic steering system, prob takes 10-15kw just to run the steering system. Something similar to this. Excuse the mess but it’s painting season on my boat so everything is in the rudder room as we are painting the engine room.

Attachments

• FEAE334B-CF66-4665-85EE-96E769ADF054.jpg
    FEAE334B-CF66-4665-85EE-96E769ADF054.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 38
I am doing a pretty major refit of my 1973 GB36 which never had a generator. I am considering installing a quantity of house batteries where the gen would go and use solar and a high output alt on the mains for charging. With a 3KW inverter I think I could do everything except run HVAC. I plan to cruise the East coast and anchor/moor a lot. If I were at a dock I could run the A/C. I was thinking of a last resort and have 2200W Honda suitcase gen on deck for any charging shortfalls. I know that the gen would have a shorter life due to exposure, but with 5KW diesel gensets running $7K and up, I may give this route a try.

I am doing a pretty major refit of my 1973 GB36 which never had a generator. I am considering installing a quantity of house batteries where the gen would go and use solar and a high output alt on the mains for charging. With a 3KW inverter I think I could do everything except run HVAC. I plan to cruise the East coast and anchor/moor a lot. If I were at a dock I could run the A/C. I was thinking of a last resort and have 2200W Honda suitcase gen on deck for any charging shortfalls. I know that the gen would have a shorter life due to exposure, but with 5KW diesel gensets running $7K and up, I may give this route a try.

i have a good friend with the same boat. he does exactly as you propose and cruises extensively all summer long with no issues. the solar addition was a game changer for him. not much need for the portable genset any more. he keeps it for emergency use though.

That's a good plan in my mind. I mostly use my genset to support high demand loads away from the dock. It's very rare that I use for A/C, especially overnight. Typically if the weather is such that A/C is really needed, we'll just plan to be somewhere we can plug into shore power.

I am doing a pretty major refit of my 1973 GB36 which never had a generator. I am considering installing a quantity of house batteries where the gen would go and use solar and a high output alt on the mains for charging. .

I was hoping for a similar result, big battery, big solar, ditch the Genset

Having a wet weather event here in "sunny" QLD Australia
Been a week or more with no real sun.
We have a few days worth of LFP and 2.5 kw of solar (9x 250)
7.5 kVA Genset running a 24v X 120 amp charger is getting 3 or more hours a day workout
What comes out must go back in

Thinking a BIGGER Genset and another 24v X 120ah charger would be nice

We have no air con.

I was hoping for a similar result, big battery, big solar, ditch the Genset

Having a wet weather event here in "sunny" QLD Australia
Been a week or more with no real sun.
We have a few days worth of LFP and 2.5 kw of solar (9x 250)
7.5 kVA Genset running a 24v X 120 amp charger is getting 3 or more hours a day workout
What comes out must go back in

Thinking a BIGGER Genset and another 24v X 120ah charger would be nice

We have no air con.

The 24V / 120A charger should draw somewhere around 3kw when charging full speed. Depending on how much other load you've got on the generator, you could likely add another charger (maybe not quite as big) without needing another gen.

Or, to save some charging time, try to shift some of your high power loads to happen while the gen is running when in periods of bad weather (rather than doing them on battery and recharging later).

Back
Top Bottom