ANZAC Day 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
April 25 is ANZAC Day, observed in Australia and New Zealand, paying respect to those who suffered for their country in wars. It`s our Veterans Day. Originally for those engaged in WW1,especially at Gallipoli in Turkey in 2015, it came to include all who served in all theatres of war, long past, and recent.
The last 2 years, Covid truncated observances and ceremonies. In 2020 we stood in families, at dawn, with candles, and devices playing "The Last Post",in our driveways adjoining the street. This year,there are no restrictions.
This news article pays respect to an Australian Nurse, Nurse Bullwinkel,captured by the opposing forces of a Pacific country(now an ally and major trading partner). It`s a story of heroism in the face of terrible adversity,of a strong, resilient, and determined member of a fine generous profession.Well worth reading.
Lest We Forget.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-24/wwii-nurse-lieutenant-colonel-vivian-bullwinkel/101005050

Another(almost) human touch to Anzac Day, the story of Jeep, the Belgian shepherd service dog. Funny, anyone that age who served gets to ride in a Jeep.
f9fe3cc61982c8eb2961d1131756d1b6

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04...mmemorates-animal-service-anzac-day/101013480

Mum was in the same battalion as Bullwinkel. She was born in the same year and was also a lieutenant in the nursing Corp.

She was with the battalion that was lined up on the wharf in Darwin awaiting embarkation when she was told by their commanding officer and told she was not going with the battalion.

The army had a policy at that time that no married or engaged woman was to be sent overseas to fight. Dad, who was serving in Borneo as a MO did not want mum in the overseas theater and wrote to mum's commanding officer to tell her they were engaged. Mum was furious, not sure she ever really forgave dad for that.

Maybe if dad hadn't written, you would not have been reading this piece of family history.

Mum marched every year, till in her late nineties it became a bit much for her. Four months before her centenary she went to bed and that was that.

Mum is on the far left in the photo.

Attachments

• Mum WW 2 Hospital.jpg
    Mum WW 2 Hospital.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 16
Your mum was obviously made of excellent stuff Andy. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

G Captain e magazine ran a nice article about the Merchant Mariners that served.

I know everyone doesn't subscribe, but recently a lot of recognition has started for the Mercant Mariners who die in war are sometimes the forgotten heroes.

We hear too little in this part of the world about the Aussies’ and Kiwis’ exploits and heroism during the great wars. Kind of like my dad who fought with the Canadians from Normandy all the way into Germany and would never talk about it. Thanks for the reminders.

Somehow, I have recently read the account of the nurses. Horrible what happened to them and the other survivors, but not surprising if one knows a bit of history. The Japanese were very cruel and that is putting it lightly. I have read accounts of commanding officers in the Japanese Navy beating lower ranking officers. If you do that to your own subordinate officers...

The Japanese se...xual assaults were widespread but under reported.

Later,
Dan

Mum was in the same battalion as Bullwinkel. She was born in the same year and was also a lieutenant in the nursing Corp.

She was with the battalion that was lined up on the wharf in Darwin awaiting embarkation when she was told by their commanding officer and told she was not going with the battalion.

The army had a policy at that time that no married or engaged woman was to be sent overseas to fight. Dad, who was serving in Borneo as a MO did not want mum in the overseas theater and wrote to mum's commanding officer to tell her they were engaged. Mum was furious, not sure she ever really forgave dad for that.

Maybe if dad hadn't written, you would not have been reading this piece of family history.

Given what happened to the nurses, if your dad had not written that letter, I don't think you would be here. :(

My grandfather was married, had two children, and was building aircraft so I think he was exempt from the draft. However, his brothers were fighting, one was a pilot and disappeared in the Pacific, and I think that he could not stand the thought of being at home with a sorta normal life while his brothers, and others, were off fighting. So he enlisted. :eek:

He was sent off to fight in the Philippines. He saw combat but he never talked about it and my mother saw some photographs that have haunted her all her life. The photos, along with my grandfather's military records have disappeared. His records were lost, best we can tell, when a government building burned down years ago.

Looking back at their life, how they lived, and a bit of what I have heard, I think my grandfather's enlisting caused great stress to his marriage. He gave up a well paying job building medium bombers which allowed him to stay at home with his family when he enlisted. He left his wife to care for two kids while he was shipped overseas earning much less money and with a good chance he would not return home. The odds of him surviving the invasion of Japan were not good.

I think he had to do what he did but the consequences of his decision echoed throughout his marriage until they day he died. There were no arguments at all but there was something far more subtle.

Later,
Dan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom