View Single Post
Old 04-25-2022, 02:17 PM   #18
Rick Hudson
Veteran Member

City: Sidney, BC
Vessel Name: Raincoast Gypsy
Vessel Model: Cheer Men 38
Hi Slowgoesit,

I recently bought solar panels directly from Hong Kong. This is the second time I've done this, and both times it's worked out fine. Two things - first, many of the spec sheets posted by China manufacturers have errors. For example, the spec will claim 100W, but when you multiply the max current by the operating voltage, it's only 75W. Or similar. Be careful about getting the actual wattage. Second, shipping has now become very expensive (7 years ago it was a lot less) so do your homework to decide whether you'll save enough to warrant the uncertainty of dealing directly with a supplier in PROC.

I have had good service from <jet@sunsunsolar.cn> but this is not an endorsement, only a comment. I needed panels of a specific shape to fit a specific location on my trawler, and Sun Solar had the product, and their specs checked out. I have not tested the panels since they arrived and were installed. Aligning a panel in full sun at 90 degrees and measuring current and voltage is tricky.

I also bought an MPPT controller from them. I know of no China-based supplier that actually makes a 'real' MPPT unit. They claim it's MPPT but in reality they are mostly PWM (pulse width modulation) which is not the same, but cheaper to build and almost as effective. Your $$, your choice.

Rick Hudson
Rick Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote