Old 04-25-2022, 07:47 AM   #29
Gdavid
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
How'd you do the second roller? I've been thinking of that modification for my pulpit in place of the metal wear plate I have now.

Also, consider adding a metal plate directly under the shank. With my Vulcan pulled up into a similar through-pulpit roller I found it necessary. When dropping the anchor, the shank falls and hits the pulpit in the split-second before the anchor starts to drop off the roller. Without the plate, it would have beaten up the top of the pulpit. In your case, the second roller might be enough to catch the shank, but I'd suggest testing for it.
The yellow roller is mounted on a 3/8" bolt with a bronze bushing for the roller to roll. The bolt is mounted as high as possible in the stainless steel insert which can only be accessed when the insert is removed from the platform. I had to notch out the fiberglass in the for head of the bolt and nut of the bolt.

I'm planning to mount a section of starboard or cutting board material to the top of the platform to prevent the shank from tearing it up, something sacrificial. I'm also planning to mount my two bow cleats just forward of the windlass and as far apart as I can.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote