View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
jeffnick
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
We've done quite a bit of the great loop...38' sloop, 41' sloop, 21' Sport Cabin, 18' cuddy, 16' cuddy, 35' trawler, 28' houseboat. Hands down the houseboat is my preferance. You can only find the kind I have, used, and after the very successful family vacation on Lake Powell (4 adults a two year old and a dog for a week with no overnights at marinas), I declare her 'Loop Ready' at about 5% of the cost allowed and that includes a total rework of her trailer.

There were 2 open berths at night unless the dog was in one of them, 4 burner stove and oven (we used both), stand up hot water shower, a/c w/ heat, microwave...you get the idea. Her quiet 350 Chevy delivered 2 mpg during the outing.

Like the fancy trawlers, she's an eye-catcher at marinas (and Rest Areas) but not because she's shiny, glamorous and expensive, but because she's ugly and functional.

Bahamas? I've run across The Stream in sailboats and even my 18' cuddy. I'd have no qualms about taking Big Duck across in decent weather, especially with her positive floatation and 30mph capability.

We don't plan on 'doing' the loop in one fell swoop, but you may well see us somewhere along your way, doing 3-4 days at a time.

PS. With the front door open, I can steer, throttle, shift and still HAND a line to a dockhand...or just jump ashore and tie her off myself.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote