Fly bridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my case, my preference has changed over time. When the boat was new to me, the FB was the place to be. Warm weather or cold, I liked the view and preferred the docking perspective. That's where my boating instructor preferred and that's where I learned.

Over time, I operated more and more from the lower helm, especially throughout the winter cold and fog. Besides, that's where my radar, autopilot and my best (largest) chartplotter are located. After a bit, it became my preferred helm due to its proximity to all the comforts of home and the ability to monitor and hear the engines.

Now, like the PO, I operate from the lower helm 80% of the time. In the summer, we still enjoy the FB for the leisurely cruise, but I have to admit that I feel a bit removed from the sound and feel of the engines. Maybe it's the pilot in me, but I like to listen to every sound.

I like having the FB and would probably miss it if I didn't have it, but it would be a "like-to-have" not a "must-have' in my next boat. Having the extra real estate for storage (cleaning supplies, grill, propane, extra cooler, folding chairs) is also a big plus. I should add that our lower helm provides uninhibited 360 degree visibility which helps make operating from the lower helm very comfortable.

"I don't like heights and prefer not to climb ladders or worry about being thrown out from an overlooked wake or errant wave." -Mark Pierce-

It was pretty rough up there on that day! We didn't stay long. ;-)

img_109248_0_f76a765eae844e68be29bae809f6bd75.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your understanding, Al. ... Your Calfornian LRC has several desirable features over my Coot, but then we all compromise in pursuit of the perfect boat. My saloon ...

img_109249_0_1e73de7b9d96d19c39c762a968f23f00.jpg

Last edited:
Fully enclosed Flybridge with U-zip windows for me. On my last boat I used the lower helm on 2 occasions in 6 years, one for the delivery as at the time it only had the bimini and was too cold to sit up there for three days. The second when I got caught in a fast moving thunderstorm that had a ton of lightning and didn't want to be up high. Now if I had a pilothouse I would probably use that more. But as far as docking, always from the bridge. I feel I have a 360 view and the fact on my 48 the lower helm is there but really not accomadating for alot of use but nice to know it is there as a back-up.

Our dislike of operating from a flying bridge has nothing to do with weather. We both dislike the sight picture from up there in terms of operations and we don't like being disconnected from the boat. At the lower helm we can hear, feel, and smell what's going on in the engine room.............
In both our opinions the best configuration for a cruising boat is a raised pilothouse. We would take that configuration over a flying bridge any day.

I'm with Marin and Mark here. Ok, we have a flybridge, but my depth sounder up there has gone on the blink and I don't have GPS up there, other than a hand-held. I don't really want to duplicate expensive and weather vulnerable equipment up there, but don't feel safe running the boat from there for long without it. The height magnifies the movement in a seaway, and moving between up there and down below is much more dangerous in unsettled conditions. I also look at the extra flat surface for mounting solar panels and how much easier it is to set up an uncluttered radar station without a bridge in the way. So, if there is ever another boat - it's a raised pilot house for me...those Nordys just don't need those flybridges.

My wife and I love our flybridge and that's one of the reasons she liked the boat in the first place. She (and I to a lesser extent) like being out in the sun. When the sun gets too much, the bimini top goes up.

Visibility is far better from the flybridge and our trips are as much for the scenery as for the destination, perhaps more so.

We operate from the flybridge unless it's raining or too cold for comfort.

Last edited:
Although there was no poll on this thread such as YES or NO on like or dislike a fly bridge... I'd gestimate YES nudges out NO. Maybe someone would like to begin some sort of a vote thread... could well be more detailed than simply YES/NO. I just don't have time to do it right now. Cheers! Art

With trawler speeds, there's simply nothing better for us than sitting up in the open air and enjoying the salt air. We have a Europa, so there's LOTS of room up there to stretch out.

My wife is a triathlete and even rides her bike up there. (on the trainer) :)

I've taken a friend out a number of times on Moon Dance. He's a lifelong powerboater, sailor, offshore racer, fisherman .... a real boater. We always drive from the flybridge. His first reaction was, "Man, this is great. It's like being on a sailboat except I don't have to fool with the %!)*@ sails and ... I can actually SEE."

My wife and I love our flybridge and that's one of the reasons she liked the boat in the first place. She (and I to a lesser extent) like being out in the sun. When the sun gets too much, the bimini top goes up.

Visibility is far better from the flybridge and our trips are as much for the scenery as for the destination, perhaps more so.

We operate from the flybridge unless it's raining or too cold for comfort.

On our 2012 trip to SE Alaska we spent a lot of cold, rainy hours operating from inside to warm comfortable pilothouse however, in the right areas and conditions the flybridge was the place to be!

Attachments

• blog 3 003.jpg
    blog 3 003.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 77
  • blog 3 018.jpg
    blog 3 018.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 75
  • blog 3 047.jpg
    blog 3 047.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 89
Last 3 boats (38' Bayliner, 40' Bayliner, and the current 52' PT Overseas) have had flybridges, and they are without doubt the preferred place to pilot from. Better sight lines and the simple joy of being outdoors- nothing better.

Never use ours. Wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there except for the cat. He likes to lie on the canvas on a sunny day. (yep, most days we leave the cover on)

When we on a cruise and actually going somewhere I use the lower station. Also locking is much easier from that station. Most docking in slips and local goofing around is done from the FB. It is a really nice place to have drinks at sunset.

A lot would depend on the model of the boat and the areas climate/weather Having a pilot house a fly bridge is no necessary. Our auto pilot has a 25 ft wire remote so I am not suck at the helm or pilot house. The only limitation I have found is stern tie docking. However, as mentioned with a pilot house you are closure and can feel/hear the engine room what is happening inside the boat, and closer to the dock.

As for sitting enjoying the evening we have the enclosed stern deck and our the roof of the salon. Besides a fly is another maintenance area which we would probable not use much in the PNW. If we had a fly it would be fully enclosed. So a lot depends on the layout, where the helm is located and the area climate.

We use our flybridge as often as possible. I prefer it when maneuvering in marinas and the locks. I like being outside. In calm seas, I am up there most all the time. Our flybridge is not enclosed. Summer evenings are usually spent on the flybridge as well.

RKL_1320504cbcaf63064.jpg

The flying bridge is a great place to sit once we get somewhere. The barbecue is mounted up there (it's the only place on the boat with stainless handrails you can mount stuff on). And the guests we take on the boat from time to time like riding up there if the weather is decent. So I'm glad we have it. But we would never drive the boat (or any boat) from up there for the reasons I've stated.

I hardly notice the difference on many trips....once autopilot is on...I'm up, down, all around....only steer when absolutely necessary due to traffic or confined waters.:D:thumb:

Oh yeah, the visibility thing.

img_109369_0_0bca1e513253bec0d7a59e0a01a56295.jpg

img_109369_1_a8bd9373499d4c50631e96639a14940c.jpg

Don - You have parallel vista visit-ability... Picts from nearly any FB is fresh aired higher elevation visibility! :whistling:

Attachments

• Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 82
Great! Let's all keep our distance.

img_109408_0_df86e9c3506f337e3a8db69897337016.jpg

Okay, here is a totally unscientific observation based on our own encounters with other boaters.

In every case I can recall where another boater did something stupid or unsafe---- passing us close aboard on a plowing plane with a giant wake, not giving way when they should, blasting at maximum plow through groups of fishermen in open boats, totally screwing up a docking in a marina to the point where (in one case at Friday Harbor) another boater actually boarded their boat and took over the helm, and a myriad of other inconsiderate or ignorant incidents---- in every case I can recall the boat was being driven from the flying bridge with it's "unlimited" visibility. In some cases I can recall the fellow at the helm had his head totally buried in his electronics (I assume) and never once looked up as he plowed past nearby boats.

But....... virtually every powerboater I know personally who is competent, courteous, knowledgeable, considerate, aware of the Colregs, and experienced drives from the lower helm or a pilothouse if their boat has one.

As I said, totally unscientific and based only on our observation and experience in these waters. But to us (and to a number of our friends, power and sail) a guy sitting stolidly on his flying bridge oblivious of everything around him is the poster image of a bad boater.

I have no scientific or psychological explanation for this. It's simply been our observation in all the years we've been fishing and cruising these waters. Your observations may vary.

The absolute classic occurred back in the early 1990s. We were fishing in our Arima off the east side of Whidbey Island. The channel between Whidbey and the mainland at Mukilteo is about a mile and a half wide. Suddenly, or so it seemed, the entire channel was full of Orcas. Apparently the two summer resident pods, perhaps even three, had joined up and were headed slowly north through the channel. There were Orcas everywhere from shore to shore and they put on quite a show. We were about mid-channel and we stopped to watch, as did virtually every other boat in the area from small open fishing boats to passing sailboats and cruisers. A few of the Orcas came right alongside our boat, even stopping and half-rolling to look at us.

And then from the south tip of Whidbey at Possession Point here comes some sort of big cruiser. I'm not going to say it was a Bayliner because I don't remember. But it was that type of boat. Probably 45 feet long or so. Plowing along putting out an enormous wake. The skipper was seated at the flying bridge helm looking straight ahead. And he headed directly through the multiple pods of Orcas and the boats.

Now the Orcas were in no danger--- they have no problem avoiding boats. But a lot of boaters yelled at this guy as he plowed through in an unwavering line. Some of them were pointing out the Orcas as in, "Hey, look at the neat whales!" Others were screaming at him to slow down because of his wake. And the radio lit up like a Roman candle with cursing.

And this guy looked neither right nor left nor did he change his speed or course one iota. He was driving the boat himself--- we could see his hands on the wheel. He passed close enough to us that we could hear the radio on his flying bridge broadcasting the cursing and requests to slow down. And he was totally oblivious.

Now, was his behavior somehow linked to the fact he drove his boat from the flying bridge? I dunno. He was probably an ******* in his car, too. But that is the image we have carried ever since of "flybridge drivers." And it's surprising how often that image has been reinforced over the years.

So Mark, you stick to your pilothouse boat. You're in good company.:)

Last edited:
With trawler speeds, there's simply nothing better for us than sitting up in the open air and enjoying the salt air. We have a Europa, so there's LOTS of room up there to stretch out.

My wife is a triathlete and even rides her bike up there. (on the trainer) :)
---------------------------------------------

She rides the stationary bike while underway?? I wonder how many people see her pedaling away and think she is driving the boat?? :whistling:

I will be watching for you!!

LB

Okay, here is a totally unscientific observation based on our own encounters with other boaters.

In every case I can recall where another boater did something stupid or unsafe---- passing us close aboard on a plowing plane with a giant wake, not giving way when they should, blasting at maximum plow through groups of fishermen in open boats, totally screwing up a docking in a marina to the point where (in one case at Friday Harbor) another boater actually boarded their boat and took over the helm, and a myriad of other inconsiderate or ignorant incidents---- in every case I can recall the boat was being driven from the flying bridge with it's "unlimited" visibility. In some cases I can recall the fellow at the helm had his head totally buried in his electronics (I assume) and never once looked up as he plowed past nearby boats.

But....... virtually every powerboater I know personally who is competent, courteous, knowledgeable, considerate, aware of the Colregs, and experienced drives from the lower helm or a pilothouse if their boat has one.

As I said, totally unscientific and based only on our observation and experience in these waters. But to us (and to a number of our friends, power and sail) a guy sitting stolidly on his flying bridge oblivious of everything around him is the poster image of a bad boater.

I have no scientific or psychological explanation for this. It's simply been our observation in all the years we've been fishing and cruising these waters. Your observations may vary.

The absolute classic occurred back in the early 1990s. We were fishing in our Arima off the east side of Whidbey Island. The channel between Whidbey and the mainland at Mukilteo is about a mile and a half wide. Suddenly, or so it seemed, the entire channel was full of Orcas. Apparently the two summer resident pods, perhaps even three, had joined up and were headed slowly north through the channel. There were Orcas everywhere from shore to shore and they put on quite a show. We were about mid-channel and we stopped to watch, as did virtually every other boat in the area from small open fishing boats to passing sailboats and cruisers. A few of the Orcas came right alongside our boat, even stopping and half-rolling to look at us.

And then from the south tip of Whidbey at Possession Point here comes some sort of big cruiser. I'm not going to say it was a Bayliner because I don't remember. But it was that type of boat. Probably 45 feet long or so. Plowing along putting out an enormous wake. The skipper was seated at the flying bridge helm looking straight ahead. And he headed directly through the multiple pods of Orcas and the boats.

Now the Orcas were in no danger--- they have no problem avoiding boats. But a lot of boaters yelled at this guy as he plowed through in an unwavering line. Some of them were pointing out the Orcas as in, "Hey, look at the neat whales!" Others were screaming at him to slow down because of his wake. And the radio lit up like a Roman candle with cursing.

And this guy looked neither right nor left nor did he change his speed or course one iota. He was driving the boat himself--- we could see his hands on the wheel. He passed close enough to us that we could hear the radio on his flying bridge broadcasting the cursing and requests to slow down. And he was totally oblivious.

Now, was his behavior somehow linked to the fact he drove his boat from the flying bridge? I dunno. He was probably an ******* in his car, too. But that is the image we have carried ever since of "flybridge drivers." And it's surprising how often that image has been reinforced over the years.

Having driven the ( Big Rigs) all over the country in all kinds of weather there is no doubt in my mind that an elevated vantage point gives better all around visibility. No matter where you drive from you should be aware of your surroundings. Please don't lump me in inconsiderate and selfish drivers.

Having driven the ( Big Rigs) all over the country in all kinds of weather there is no doubt in my mind that an elevated vantage point gives better all around visibility. No matter where you drive from you should be aware of your surroundings. Please don't lump me in inconsiderate and selfish drivers.

Steve, I don't believe anyone is lumping you in with the inconsiderate group. I have had 2 flybridge boats. My Black Fin had a tower that I have replaced with a T top. Elevated site lines are a good thing. As we age things change a little. Climbing ladders is not as much fun. The exaggerated motion in a seaway is a consideration, and the sun takes a toll on the skin. Our last two boats have been hard top express cruisers that could be opened or enclosed with climate controls. Everyone is within sight on the same level, and it is quite comfortable. I miss the flybridge in the Bahamas, but on balance I am happy with what we have. Oh yeah, I have seen express cruisers being some of the worst offenders in the discourteous department.

Marin, a few of my inputs re your statements... your quotes provided!

Maybe Hugh Heffner's center-of-mag (not electronics) had something to do with your following quote! - LOL “In some cases I can recall the fellow at the helm had his head totally buried in his electronics (I assume) and never once looked up as he plowed past nearby boats."

You bet cha! - "Your observations may vary."

I bet you and wife, as well as others on so equipped boats, may well have gone onto the bridge to look down at the Orca and get a best view! - "A few of the Orcas came right alongside our boat, even stopping and half-rolling to look at us."

Drinking and driving never mix!! LOL - "Now, was his behavior somehow linked to the fact he drove his boat from the flying bridge? I dunno. He was probably an ******* in his car, too."

Marin - The feelings we gain from life experiences are sure a hoot in regard to the "color" they place upon our considered opinions. That said: Early 60's (I was bout 12 yrs), on the South Shore of LI, NY, the best (worst) pleasure boat accident I ever watched as it actually occurred was a 40 + foot wooden Owens hitting a major a bridge abutment bow on at some 14 +/- knots. That cruiser's bow splintered like a match stick and shortened some 8 feet or more. With jaws dropped we watched her as she hit. Some injuries... and, pilot was stone drunk! Pop pulled alongside to assist best as possible. CG and police were soon there. Boat didn't immediately sink although it did nose down deeper into the water - that was amazing in itself cause the bow stem was totaled with a gaping hole into the hull. Must have had a sealed internal, vertical bulwark before amidships. Back then, on East Coast, Owens was referred to as Bayliner too often are now in the NWP. Anyway... that accident happened from salon piloting and I recall many cruisers on conjested LI channels being badly/inconsiderately operated from salon helms. BUT - That does not make me think that lower pilot station operators are all bad. It's the pilot that rules the roost, not the position of piloting that makes a Captain perform incorrectly!

PS: I've seen A-Hole pilots on the bridge too!!

Last edited:

But....... virtually every powerboater I know personally who is competent, courteous, knowledgeable, considerate, aware of the Colregs, and experienced drives from the lower helm or a pilothouse if their boat has one. ..............

That's about as unscientific as it gets. It's just another of the many "if you don't do it the way I do it, you're incompetent, a novice, etc." posts that are so common on this forum.

I hope somewhere deep inside, you are smarter than that. :banghead:

Marin, all I can say about your statement above is it a classic example of finding exactly what you are looking for. While I don't have but a few years cruising in the PNW, I have skippered and owned many boats, and have extensive experience offshore of California and Mexico, as well as many years cruising the Hawaiian Islands, along with some fishing and cruising in Thailand, the Philippines, and Australia (Navy and non-Navy). Your statements above can and do apply to any type of boater anywhere in the world- how arrogant of you to insinuate that your narrow minded sightlines as the preferred (only) way to pilot a vessel.

Yes, my observations and experiences have been vastly different from yours. I've seen courtesy from skippers driving from above, and rabid arrogance from a skipper (drive from his lower helm) hell-bent on getting into the locks and cutting all off. I've seen the best and the worst.- and don't judge any.

That's about as unscientific as it gets. It's just another of the many "if you don't do it the way I do it, you're incompetent, a novice, etc." posts that are so common on this forum.

I hope somewhere deep inside, you are smarter than that. :banghead:

Indeed.

I had some dead time after editing last night because my work PC was migrating to Windows 7, which at Boeing is an on-line, three-day, six-to-eight hours each day automated process during which you can't use the computer and I had to wait for it to finish before I could go home (at 2:00am). Why Boeing didn't take a page from one of its best customers--- Southwest Airlines--- and standardize the whole company (other than the engineers) on Mac I'll never know. We started with Macs way back when and then some fool decided to switch the company to PCs and Windows. Probably got a big kickback from Dell or something....

Anyway all the discussion about flying bridges and their advantages and disadvantages prompted me to write what I wrote. While I'm pretty sure (but not totally positive:)) that there is no real connection between a flying bridge and bad boating, the stuff I related is all true. We tend to judge the things around us by what we see and experience, so the image we have of an oblivious lug sitting up there plowing his way along regardless of the rest of the world is one we will have forever.

Actually what I've found to be most fascinating is (1) how many people took it all so seriously and (2) how the responses matched the forum character of the responders so perfectly.

And Art, given the choice of being up on a flying bridge and looking down on the Orcas or being at water level when they come up next to you three or four feet away and look you in the eye, I'll take the water-level experience every time.:)

Last edited:
............ We tend to judge the things around us by what we see and experience, so the image we have of an oblivious lug sitting up there plowing his way along regardless of the rest of the world is one we will have forever.

Actually what I've found to be most fascinating is (1) how many people took it all so seriously and (2) how the responses matched the forum character of the responders so perfectly............
You just can't admit that it was a bad post, can you? Yes, my response matched my character because I don't like BS and I call it when I see it. Your post deserved the response it got.

As for judging things by what we see, every night on TV I see pictures of black males who have been charged with crimes. Based on what I see, I might assume that all black males are criminals. Is that the conclusion you would draw? :rolleyes:

I had some dead time after editing last night because my work PC was migrating to Windows 7, which at Boeing is an on-line, three-day, six-to-eight hours each day automated process during which you can't use the computer and I had to wait for it to finish before I could go home (at 2:00am). Why Boeing didn't take a page from one of its best customers--- Southwest Airlines--- and standardize the whole company (other than the engineers) on Mac I'll never know. We started with Macs way back when and then some fool decided to switch the company to PCs and Windows. Probably got a big kickback from Dell or something....

Anyway all the discussion about flying bridges and their advantages and disadvantages prompted me to write what I wrote. While I'm pretty sure (but not totally positive:)) that there is no real connection between a flying bridge and bad boating, the stuff I related is all true. We tend to judge the things around us by what we see and experience, so the image we have of an oblivious lug sitting up there plowing his way along regardless of the rest of the world is one we will have forever.

Actually what I've found to be most fascinating is (1) how many people took it all so seriously and (2) how the responses matched the forum character of the responders so perfectly.

And Art, given the choice of being up on a flying bridge and looking down on the Orcas or being at water level when they come up next to you three or four feet away and look you in the eye, I'll take the water-level experience every time.:)

So shall your response be taken as that of a narcissistic, all knowing, unable to have rational conversation (except for the "I talk, you listen" type) type of character?

Forums are supposed to be about sharing of information and ideas- your post was anything but. Add to it some lame-ass excuses about computers, and what I see is a forum member unable to admit he put his foot into his mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom