View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
Animal

City: St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Animal-The rather obvious reason is that I own a Krogen-before buying we spent an tremendous amount of time looking at Krogen v. Nord and our preference, on all counts, was the Krogen. Too many reasons to list-many of them personal preference. The Nord is a good, well-built boat, but many of their design/machinery choices are not ones that I would have made. Both are capable, world cruisers that will take you anywhere you want to go, but for us, the Krogen was just the better boat.

As to range on the Duck and the 40 Nord, the listed range on the Duck is 2100 miles, the Nord even less. Yes, the Duck can be "sailed" but it is a very inefficient, slow sailing under limited points of sail. In my mind, not that useful either as propulsion or a fuel saver. A circumnavigation would require extra fuel to be carried by both-for instance, CA to HI is 2,200+ miles. Galapagos to Marquesas is 3,000+. I would prefer to keep my fuel in the tanks, not on deck.

I have always been a Hatteras fan having lived for manyy years in NC and knowing the original family behind Hatteras, but if I am not mistaken, the Hatteras LRC also has some range issues when it comes to a circumnavigation. I belive, without looking it up, that the range on the LRC is about 1,500-1,700 miles. The older ones had twin DD 671's in them.
Thanks, THD! Good info! Figured you might be a KK owner, but wasn't sure. I have to say I've been browsing the KK app on my iPad - looks like a very nice line of boats!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote