Russian Trawler Update #7 (Final)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheAtomicDog

Vessel Name
Salty Seagull
Vessel Make
SSP Type 211
Hey guys,

Wanted to close the thread here. We have fled to Portugal and abandoned our boat (apartment, car, life, etc). It was simply time to go.

Once we are settled we hope to find another boat and try again someday.

Tough times and completely useless. Our thoughts are with those more directly affected by the senseless violence and stupidity.

Kind regards,

Brad

Brad,

That really sucks...

Sorry.

i admire your courage to cut and run after all that investment both in $ and sentimental.

I know i couldn't do same. i am sure you have made the correct decision.

Oh, that's such a waste. You were so close! I am glad you're safe though.

Yes, many people have been far more negatively impacted than you, and our hearts go out to them. But stories like yours are happening too, all over the world, due to this insanity. We can't forget those, either.

I only wish this were a wake-up call to all who support or endorse autocratic politicians. But sadly, we're seeing no sign of that here.

My prayers are with your family. You are probably lucky to be able to and had the means to get out while you were able. It is a shame you had to abandon your vessel, tragic.

That so, SO sucks for you, but I totally understand why you did it. Better than getting rounded up and used for bargaining chips by whomever.

Do you have things in Portugal organized? A place to stay/live, work, family? I hope you are able to adapt to the new reality for yourself and your family. Portugal can be a very welcoming place. Our daughter and family lived there for 4 years, from 2015 to 2019, and adapted easily, despite having no previous facility in the language. They will go back, when the opportunity presents, as they enjoyed the life there so much.

There is no reasonable way of moving to Portugal???

So very sorry that you had to uproot yourselves. But better to get out while you can. Best of luck for your future. I hope this insanity and heartache ends soon.

Glad to hear you were able to leave on your own terms.
There are boats elsewhere that will need your time and attention, I'm sure. ;)

Last edited:
Have stored the boat for the "future" or sold it or abandoned it?

Joining to see where this goes. Sorry you had to leave.

I feel for the OP. Emergency evacs are stressful, to say the least. When I fled Syria I didn't leave a boat behind like him, but I did leave a nice present of rotting, maggot infested chicken in my fridge for the general who took over my apartment - I heard later that he was mad at me :)

I feel for the OP. Emergency evacs are stressful, to say the least. When I fled Syria I didn't leave a boat behind like him, but I did leave a nice present of rotting, maggot infested chicken in my fridge for the general who took over my apartment - I heard later that he was mad at me :)

Good on you for leaving the chicken! I’m guessing the fridge was also turned off.
My heart goes out to any and all who have had to abandon their homes and homeland because of violence. The current mess is showing this guy to be of the same ilk as bloody Joe Stalin. The rest of the free world needs to pull up its big boy pants and support Ukraine by whatever underhanded means we can.
To the OP, may you receive any help you need and find a welcoming place to start your new life.

Hey guys,

Wanted to close the thread here. We have fled to Portugal and abandoned our boat (apartment, car, life, etc). It was simply time to go.

Once we are settled we hope to find another boat and try again someday.

Tough times and completely useless. Our thoughts are with those more directly affected by the senseless violence and stupidity.

Kind regards,

Brad

Wifey B: Just a reminder to us all that there are so many good people impacted horribly by bad governments like this, by self serving war lords. I know Chinese still reeling from the ugly prejudice shown them during the pandemic and good Russian immigrants who see and hear such horrible things and find it as deplorable as we do. Brad is among millions of innocent persons whose lives have been horribly uprooted. I wish you and your family the best as well as all your friends you left behind. :flowers:

I can't imagine leaving behind what you did, but I experienced just a small part of it years ago and left behind my life as it was. The key was one man who loved me and was by my side and you'll find the key to be family and loved ones who are with you and the new extended family you form in Portugal or wherever you ultimately stay. You will find those who accept and embrace you and support you as you move forward. :flowers:

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the kind words. We are settling in to life in Porto. its wonderful and we are incredibly thankful to all the help we've received.

We are still paying for the boat's storage while we figure out what to do. I would prefer to stop having economic ties of any kind to Russia. Even though I have many friends there (good, intelligent people who can't leave for various reasons), I don't want any of my money to end up as revenue for terrorism. Every passing day seems less likely that we will ever go back or see the boat again. We are exploring all options, but things look grim.

If anything changes I will let you know. I will continue to enjoy the forums and will live vicariously through you good people...

:)

AD, glad to hear you are doing well considering the terrible circumstances. Wish you the best, and if you are ever in the SD area let me know and we will go for a boat ride.

AD what would it take to get your boat operational tot he point where you can sail it out of there?

Glad to hear you're doing OK. I hope the friends you left behind are OK, too. Maybe there will be some way to tow the boat somewhere to continue the work, but obviously yours is a trivial problem compared to many others on both sides.

Having said all that, and if forum rules allow, would it be possible to share what your friends back in Russia think of all this? We in the West hear about propaganda and a lack of outside information, but things are never that simple. There's always more to the story. I know this is not boating related, so if it would be better to take that question elsewhere, like a PM or another site where it's OK to discuss, I'd like to hear more.

AD, glad to hear you are doing well considering the terrible circumstances. Wish you the best, and if you are ever in the SD area let me know and we will go for a boat ride.

Thanks!

AD what would it take to get your boat operational tot he point where you can sail it out of there?

It needs a new hull, which is getting less expensive by the day :) and to have new prop shaft installed and engine recommissioned. None of which is a showstopper.

The big problem is it is very unlikely Russia would clear it out of customs and equally unlikely Finland or Estonia would clear it in at the moment.

Having said all that, and if forum rules allow, would it be possible to share what your friends back in Russia think of all this?

For Russians it is complicated. Most of my friends see the history of the relationship with Ukraine as a grey situation versus black and white. That being said, they know their government lies to them, they have access to the internet, so they see the truth. Most want to or are leaving. Those who can't are just trying to get on with their lives like any human in a hopeless situation.

If you have more specific questions please feel free to ping me in DM

It needs a new hull, which is getting less expensive by the day :) and to have new prop shaft installed and engine recommissioned. None of which is a showstopper.

The big problem is it is very unlikely Russia would clear it out of customs and equally unlikely Finland or Estonia would clear it in at the moment.

AD, not trying to be disrespectful but honestly from your description it sounds like the boat needs to be scrapped. Perhaps it was just a hobby of convenience for you?

Regarding your second point, just walk away from it and move on with life. Consider it a refrig full of maggot infested chicken for the next guy to enjoy :)

@Mako, it was definitely a big project but it was affordable because Russia. But yes, I am likely going to give it up. The big challenge was the storeroom full of Victron AGMs, inverter/charger, transducers, bilge pumps and other things that I was stockpiling for the last year. Its a crap-ton of gear that I could use on another project, but have no way of getting out.

My grandfather's family somehow got him out of his village and on a train to Hamburg, Germany when the Russians moved in to crush a Polish rebellion or revolution in 1906. He came from a village called Krempna in the south near the Ukraine border. He lied about his age (he was too young to be an unaccompanied minor for immigration purposes at the time) and escaped to the U.S. -- and now here we are. He never saw his family in person again, and eventually they all disappeared when the Russians "depopulated" the village some years later. I know for him it was survival and we're talking a boat project here, but this is so discouraging. Here we are nearly 120 years later and it's happening all over again. Glad you got out though.

Dog: I feel for ya and do not envy your having to react to this foolishness so directly. Still, Portugal would also be my choice and there is such a rich tradition of life on the water. As difficult as it is now, I feel positive about your opportunity there. Keep us informed, please.

Kthoennes - a terrible story that I think we all thought we would never see in Europe in this century. :(

Dog: Still, Portugal would also be my choice and there is such a rich tradition of life on the water. As difficult as it is now, I feel positive about your opportunity there. Keep us informed, please.

Portugal is great. Definitely not sad to be here. So far, everything is amazing.

My stepson is already taking sailing lessons :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom