View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 05:16 AM   #10
Fish53
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I can understand the need for a pilot to navigate through the waterways, but I'm having a hard time seeing a pilot docking the vessel. I certainly understand the pilot explaining the approach to the captain, but would guess the captain has far more experience putting his vessel to the dock.

Have also watched the biggest ore carriers lock though the Soo Locks into Lake Superior. While I'm sure a pilot has great skill, I'm having a hard time seeing them more experienced with a specific vessel than the captain.

Maybe Wayfarer will answer these questions as he captains an ore boat in the Great Lakes.

Ted
Most ships on saltwater are docked with tugs and docking pilots are almost always ex tug captains, this makes communication between the ship and tugs much more effective. Great Lakes ore carriers are a specific type of ship for a specific job. Most newer ones have several bow and stern thrusters and while up to 1000ft long do not have the beam of saltwater vessels mostly so they can fit through the Soo.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote