Bridge clearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oliver 1

in the near future I would like to change my boat. we fell in love with the Nordhavn models at first sight. we have now read everything and seen what the net offers. we would love to stay in the size of 47 to 55 feet. Unfortunately, I have a bridge clearance of no more than 18 feet to consider. is that even possible? email with Nordhavn Europe has stated that the height of N51 at laid mast is 18 feet above the water.
waiting time, however, already now 2026 ……

Best regards
Oliver

Oliver,
Great boats for sure but there are other brands you could consider. You can find these covered in threads on the forum. If you are not open to other brands buying used would be an option. I suspect that some of the pandemic buyers might start thinking of selling in the next couple of years.

I see that just like you do Ken, that some will sell again after the pandemic. What remains, however, is the bridge clearance of 18 feet with the mast and antennas folded. Do some of the NH owners know the exact heights of their boats?

According to this 2003 promotional magazine, the N47 has a mast-down air-draft of just over 15-feet. However......keep in mind the exhaust runs up the mast and is not easily laid-down. Lowering the mast might be practical for completing the Loop, but if you have a bridge you need to regularly transit, I doubt a dry-stack boat is the right pick for you. Also, keep in mind most N47s (and many N43s and N40s) were delivered with flybridges.

https://issuu.com/k-c-mediaworks/docs/circumnavigator01

A lot of speculation on maket influences when Covid declines. Quality boats sell well in any market; and Nordhavn have done an amazing job of defending their resale value so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a steal. In general, if/when the market aligns to a more traditional buyers' market, I would think the lower end will be the first to feel the pinch as that is where the new-buyers likely clustered.

Peter

N47 Specs.jpg

Last edited:
Have you given thought to any of the four long, low displacement 58-65’ AL boats currently available. All are European canal capable and solid blue water boats built for owner operator use? Delivery time summer of next year.

A few individual boats were built with folding stacks, but in general 18' will be a no-go for a Nordhavn. I has an N60 which is the same height as an N55 that you mentioned, and the air draft was around 35' with the antennas down. The stack is the big issue for air draft.

Oliver & MV Weebles (Peter): I agree that I don't think we will be looking at bargain pricing on the best boats. But I think supply and demand will be restored back to some semblance of balance and boats that have been WAY overpriced (for a normal market) will come back to earth. The RV market will likely correct earlier as they tend to be easier to buy and sell than boats. But both are luxury items, fuel cost is a factor for those who are stretching a bit to afford a purchase and both turn out to cost a lot to operate and maintain.

There were so many people these last 2+ years that jumped into these with no experience and likely did not find what they expected over time. I had a friend who bought his first RV during the pandemic. Had to wait 7 months for a new delivery of a Class C on a sprinter chassis. About $150K. Made 1 trip and realized he hated driving it and much preferred simplicity of hotels. He is not hurting for money so it was not an economic decision. Sold it right back for about what he paid. He made this decision much earlier in the cycle. I fear those that might try to sell now will find the market much more competitive and facing the normal losses when you drive something off the lot (or move it from the dealer marina slip!!).

I don't have the luxury to buy new but when it comes to boats I am not sure I would do that even if I could. I know what money gets put into making a boat really useful and I would prefer to have someone else spend that money. My 1976 48' Hatteras is 4 slips away from a shiny new yacht (Broker owned, for sale). Mine has more room, more range, equally good genset and lithium setup, equally reliable, easier to service but far less beautiful and sexy. You could buy my boat for less than the 7.25 % California sales tax in year one on the new one! At $2.8Mil the market value will likely drop 20% after it is sold. Mine is at the bottom of the depreciation curve and while one rarely can sell for more than they have invested (cost plus improvements/repairs) it will hold the value fairly well as long as reasonably well maintained.

Some people who are very wealthy might care about this value decision but most won't. I am sure it would be nice to be in that situation, I just have not been there!

You're not alone in your forecast - many experienced owners believe the reality of boat/RV ownership will dim the spirit of many newbies and thus flood the market with near-new boats/RVs. I'm tired of being constantly wrong so have given up. I'll believe it when I see the 'shorts' come hunting for CWH (Camperworld) and HZO (Marine Max). Prognosticators have been remarkably wrong about market conditions these last 2-years. And not just in boats/RVs - even with all the brainpower of the Fed, Jay Powell got it wrong.

Peter

Thanks for the clarifying words. I think then I can cross the NH off my list. it always hurts when a plan doesn't work.
I will then have to look around in the Netherlands to find something suitable with a lower overall height. The Altena Raised Pilothouse 50 could be such a boat. Class A rated, steel and a height mast down of 13.1 feet.
We will see

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom