Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a remarkable picture! I guess this is the one I read about that crossed the Atlantic on its own keel! I wonder where this very hull is now? Has it been preserved? Is it yours, Friz??

No it is not mine. Do not know where it is now. It was/is a single Volvo diesel with a Volvo 280 outdrive. There were 600 Cargile Cutters made from 1970 - 1980 various engines, gas and diesel, singles and twins, 28' and 30'. Alan Cargile was the builder in Nashville.

A picture I took about 1974 at the Annapolis boat show. This one appears to be twin i/o.

Attachments

• A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 74
nice review of a unique boat: https://youtu.be/trE4JOeYb8M

Had not heard of this trawler-specific youtube channel before

- OK looking exterior profiles - not too great

- Well designed exterior layout for comfort, usability and reliability - great

- Interior looks and design/layout - appears to be really great

- Rather small engines may enable good mpg at considerably slow speeds [well below hull speed] - HOWEVER... the bow wave it pushes in photos must be costly at speed shown. Interesting that video announcer mentioned more than once he could not locate stats for speed, fuel use nmpg.

Google translate says it is Slovak and translates as:

Hello, add your free ad to our site for buying and selling boats in Australia www. Boat24. Com. Au.
Have a nice day.

One thing for consideration. If you buy one at auction and when the previous owner wants his boat, you might end up dead when you say "NO"

Scott, I agree on the ugly factor, but pretty common design style for new boats these days. I wonder how the style will hold up in popularity in the long term. I guess time will tell.

Last edited:

interesting boat!
but holy crap.. add a bit of color to the palette.
One would need sunglasses to keep from going snow blind ( a rare thing in Australia ) inside that thing.
Pilot house at night would SUCK from all the reflection of the instruments.
whats with the covered motors, inferior desecrator's idea to make the ER pretty?. So much for engine checks.

If it wasn't for all the above it looks like a great boat

HOLLYWOOD

interesting boat!
but holy crap.. add a bit of color to the palette.
One would need sunglasses to keep from going snow blind ( a rare thing in Australia ) inside that thing.
Pilot house at night would SUCK from all the reflection of the instruments.
whats with the covered motors, inferior desecrator's idea to make the ER pretty?. So much for engine checks.

If it wasn't for all the above it looks like a great boat

HOLLYWOOD
Agree and for me the interior design is more apartment than expensive yacht.

You can tell that the bridge deck was an add-on, it doesn't blend in perfectly like Simi's, but I would guess that Simi's was perhaps an entirely new deckhouse as well.

A paravane stabilized alloy 20m with a single Deere just on the market in Nelson. The ask is USD1 mil give or take. Already circumnavigated Australia. A lot to like.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/3530126148?bof=ADqb7lPa

View attachment 127132
-

That's a "Stout Trout"... cuts/glides through water beautifully; imagine video was at WOT?? Damn near looked ready to go on full plane, naw - not really.

I'd enjoy piloting that baby in rougher than normal seas, if that became required for one reason or another!

-

That's a "Stout Trout"... cuts/glides through water beautifully; imagine video was at WOT?? Damn near looked ready to go on full plane, naw - not really.

I'd enjoy piloting that baby in rougher than normal seas, if that became required for one reason or another!

Great deal! Only $1.5M to be able to "cruise economically". :banghead:

A paravane stabilized alloy 20m with a single Deere just on the market in Nelson. The ask is USD1 mil give or take. Already circumnavigated Australia. A lot to like.
WOW initially
On second look low engine room height was a turn off

A lot to like.

Price tag not being one of them but nice none the less
Add: though is lacking in refrigeration and solar
Big eyebrow out front to cut down on glare and heat (alloy frame covered in panels) and framework at stern is already there ready to add more panels.

Last edited:
You can tell that the bridge deck was an add-on, it doesn't blend in perfectly like Simi's, but I would guess that Simi's was perhaps an entirely new deckhouse as well.

Awww, thanks

Yes, ours was new build from deck up when converted around 2005
New engine at around the same time

Price tag not being one of them but nice none the less
though is lacking in refrigeration and solar

I'd have to gut and redesign the lower deck. The master is more or less in the laundry and that lower saloon would never get used so wasted space.

I've stood next to the boat and the cockpit is a little industrial but good enough. Love the protected helm doors, very shipy.

Even with that if I was in the market for an expedition boat that would be near the top of my list.

Knowing the designer and the builders reputation I think the price is about right.

To me solar is for boats that sit around. For boats that go places power is not an issue. This is designed to go places.

To me solar is for boats that sit around. For boats that go places power is not an issue. This is designed to go places.

And when you have got to those places?

Or do you really think cruisers burn 1000 litres of fuel getting somewhere so they can up anchor the next morning and burn some more?

You may as well say a boat doesn't need an anchor as its designed to go places (-;

Or do you really think cruisers burn 1000 litres of fuel getting somewhere so they can up anchor the next morning and burn some more?

Yes I do. More than think, it's how we cruise. During our five year circumnavigation it was pretty rare to sit around in a bay for too long. There is always somewhere else to see, that's the adventure for us. We moved most days. The exceptions was when we tied up in a marina to land travel.

Now we never stay in a bay all day except for weather. Always off somewhere to fish or dive or sightsee, even if heading back to the same anchorage.

Some prefer to sit for sure, but not us.

Besides the electrical draw at anchor doesn't have to be that much. Unless you have excessive electrically driven refrigeration of course.

Not anti solar, we are installing a little on the new build, but the alternators and LFP storage will do the heavy lifting.

. There is always somewhere else to see, that's the adventure for us. We moved most days.

Sounds like all you are really seeing is the inside of your wheelhouse ;)
But, whatever floats your boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom