View Single Post
Old 03-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #19
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
The more I think about it, what I keep is a detailed Journal, not really a log. What would really qualify as my maintenance log is sorest sparse. Just date, hours, and task like “main oil & filter”. And my ships log is equally terse, with entries like 08:00 departed xxx for YYY, the 17:00 Anchored, YYY. The journal is supplemental to the logs, and contains my own train of thought in things, rants, etc. But it really covered everything done to the boat in a lot of detail. The last boats journal was well over 100 pages, single spaced in a word doc. Before passing it to the next owner I had to sanitize it since I had bitched out various people and products along the way.

I also keep a spreadsheet with all the spares and supplies on board. When my maintenance log shows service due, I can check to see what I have in stock, and what I need to get to replenish. One key element in the spreadsheet is where the item is stashed. It’s easy to forget things that are infrequently used.

Last, I have built up another document that is a pretty comprehensive list of the boats details and equipment. This is particularly important to me since I’m not on the boat full time. So if I need to get a part for some piece of onboard equipment, I have the make, model, and serial number on hand, can check my parts list to see if I already have the part, and order it if needed, all while away from the boat.

There are infinite ways to do all this with lots of “right” answers. This happens to work for me.