Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a crazy length-to-beam ratio on the United Spirit.
Yes - it's only 1 .3 meters wider than my little puddle-jumper.
What's even more amazing is that the draught is only 1.10 meters. I almost don't believe this number -- but it does appear on both web sites.

United Spirit in Stockholm.
Not a trawler or anything like a trawler.

I include it here because I was simply stunned to read that it was built in 1938/9(!!!) They've certainly given it some pretty impressive "face lifts" over the years.
2,750,000€

Curious that they don't provide more and better photos of the engine room...

https://www.superyachtsmonaco.com/sales/united-spirit
Edit: If you scroll down a little on the monaco site, you will come to a picture with left and right < > arrows. These will lead you to many more pictures (but only one of the engine room).
DO MAKE SURE TO SEE THE HELM PHOTO...

https://www.blocket.se/annons/skane/united_spirit_classic_one_off_yacht/99265790
You can paste the text into Google Translate...

Looks sweet. No tender though?

Here's an odd one: Mumby 47' aluminum power cat with what looks like an afterthought sailing rig tacked on.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2019-mumby-catamaran-motorsailer-8176211/

Very strange layout as well - almost looks like the aft deck and pilothouse weren't fully finished; no real dining area that I can see. The hull looks amazing, and I imagine it's extremely efficient (claimed 3000 mile range on 350 gallons, which I understand was achieved by running a single engine; props are feathering).

The 20' stick is laughable; 40-60' would make more sense and move the boat OK.

I include it here because I was simply stunned to read that it was built in 1938/9(!!!) They've certainly given it some pretty impressive "face lifts" over the years.

Yeah, right. I'd be surprised if even the keel is original from 1938. That's a modern day super yacht by every sense of the word: styling, engineering, decor, helm, etc.

Here's an odd one: Mumby 47' aluminum power cat with what looks like an afterthought sailing rig tacked on.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2019-mumby-catamaran-motorsailer-8176211/

Very strange layout as well - almost looks like the aft deck and pilothouse weren't fully finished; no real dining area that I can see. The hull looks amazing, and I imagine it's extremely efficient (claimed 3000 mile range on 350 gallons, which I understand was achieved by running a single engine; props are feathering).

Seems expensive ^^^^^
55ft "essentially" a Mumby for a fair bit less coin in Thailand
And a real mast

https://www.multihullsolutions.com.au/boats/pre-owned/sail-multihulls/2016-oceanic-55-siesta/

Seems expensive ^^^^^
55ft "essentially" a Mumby for a fair bit less coin in Thailand
And a real mast

https://www.multihullsolutions.com.au/boats/pre-owned/sail-multihulls/2016-oceanic-55-siesta/

The 47 seems like a custom project for a very quirky owner. $700k is a lot, but the owner must have spent a multiple on that & has barely used it so probably anchoring on their build cost.

I don't get the "mast" at all, nor the pilothouse layout. Agree that 55 is a much better deal at 2/3 the price.

Is the layout similar to yours? It's an intriguing boat, but looks sort of cramped inside for more than a couple. It's hard to visualize how that raised settee would feel & how it would transition to the salon area and galley. I love the efficiency & simplicity.

Layout is very similar, except for the master suite, which is very different. We've had two couples on for 2 months, very doable. Lots of room. 3 couples would get pretty tiring after a few weeks probably, but not if lots of outside activities to do! We're planning on going to Glacier Bay in AK this Spring/Summer, with probably 4-5 people, so we'll see . . . :D

Layout is very similar, except for the master suite, which is very different. We've had two couples on for 2 months, very doable. Lots of room. 3 couples would get pretty tiring after a few weeks probably, but not if lots of outside activities to do! We're planning on going to Glacier Bay in AK this Spring/Summer, with probably 4-5 people, so we'll see . . . :D

I'm jelly, that sounds amazing.

How's your master suite arranged? I can't quite tell from the pics whether the berth is a walk around.

I'm jelly, that sounds amazing.

How's your master suite arranged? I can't quite tell from the pics whether the berth is a walk around.

Berth is walk around king. Master stateroom is full beam width, with all built in drawers/cabinets/closets. LOTS of storage. We love it!:thumb:

Always have concerns when glass is put over wood. All to often makes things much worst. Not an issue if part of original construction as done with strip plank or cold molded. Then between epoxy and moisture controlled wood with glue/resin not mechanical fasteners for integrity a layer of glass or aramid isn’t a problem. But for plank on frame think you’re just looking for trouble. Would not own a plank on frame boat which has been glassed.

Always have concerns when glass is put over wood. All to often makes things much worst. Not an issue if part of original construction as done with strip plank or cold molded. Then between epoxy and moisture controlled wood with glue/resin not mechanical fasteners for integrity a layer of glass or aramid isn’t a problem. But for plank on frame think you’re just looking for trouble. Would not own a plank on frame boat which has been glassed.

It CAN be done right. Problem is telling whether is was........

If you're talking about United Spirit - the Monaco link says the hull material is aluminum.

Very strange thing about those Kotters. They appear to be capable boats, likely class B or possibly class A, but none have pilot houses. Just fly bridges with canvas covers, in Northern Europe!

If I ever bought one then that would be the first modification I’d make.

You could

Very strange thing about those Kotters. They appear to be capable boats, likely class B or possibly class A, but none have pilot houses. Just fly bridges with canvas covers, in Northern Europe!

If I ever bought one then that would be the first modification I’d make.

use the inside control. I like this boat if she was in alloy for save may be 10t she could be perfect. She was well priced don't remember exactly but somewhere around 350k€.
If our was sold at this moment we could try to buy her even with her very large stern, not central "driving" position.

Attachments

• whe.JPG
    whe.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 26
.........Is it just me, or do others find this really UGLY?Sort of brings to mind the old Cargill Cutter -- on just a bit larger scale...

Tread lightly "me hearty" As I type I am looking out the window at my CARGILE Cutter. It is a thing of beauty!

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 52
Tread lightly "me hearty" As I type I am looking out the window at my CARGILE Cutter. It is a thing of beauty!
Oops - sorry about that!

My boat can be strange looking to some. I've heard remarks that the lines are similar to those of a 1950's refrigerator...

Last edited:
Didn't even have to click the link. Saw "Princess yachts" and knew what it would look like.

I believe that ostentatious is the preferred word for ugly, when speaking of yachts.

Yeah, it's a yacht for someone who wishes they were a Russian oligarch.

like a son of the "the spirit of nashville" who had the same profile
1978 Ensign Magazine Article 1.jpg

At the conclusion of the unassisted transatlantic crossing, NYC to Paris in 1978.

Last edited:
That's a remarkable picture! I guess this is the one I read about that crossed the Atlantic on its own keel! I wonder where this very hull is now? Has it been preserved? Is it yours, Friz??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom