eBikes - thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You would be surprised at how much of a workout you can get on an ebike. Bikes with different levels of pedal assist let you choose how hard you want to work.
I agree HopCar. Instead of going 2-miles on a regular bike, I'll go 5+ miles on an eBike and exert similar overall effort. A good friend in Miami who is approaching 70 and an avid cyclist uses an eBike for errands and such. His big thing is he doesn't show up someplace drenched in sweat.

My goal in getting an eBike is transportation within an arbitrary 5-10 mile radius. For me, hills and intense heat/humidity are limits that an eBike helps overcome. If I could get similar benefits on a non-motorized bike and not worry about the weight, expense, and corrosion, would definitely be the route I'd take.

Peter

I received my eBike two days ago. Cool ride. Broadly, there are two modes. Pedal assist which provides extra power oomph when you're pedaling. And "scooter" mode where you don't pedal. On flat pavement, it's pretty easy to maintain 25 mph which is nice on busier streets with moderate pedaling.

Battery weighs in at almost 9-lbs, so the 65 lb weight can be trimmed a bit. Due to size and weight, not optimum for a boat unless you have an accessible dinghy crane and at a marina.

Its slick transportation. Will definitely get a lot of use out of it for terrestrial use.

You do get what you pay for. Although this bike at $1600 is a great deal, there are some features on a +$3000 eBike that are worthy.

For anyone considering an eBike, check out REI. Their prices are decent and their support fantastic. The small online retailer I bought from is okay, but I've had a problem with the charger and reaching them has been very slow.

We have a small camper van which these will be perfect for. And exploring the Florida beach communities. Possible on a boat.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Peter
20220203_180608.jpg

Just returning from a fishing trip to the St John’s River in Florida. We stayed in Blue Springs State Park. Saw a lot of bicycles. I bet close to half were electric.

E-bike

My wife and I each have a Pedigo boomerang. We have room in our cockpit and keep a cover over them. They do weigh about 60lbs but they are well worth as we can travel 40+ miles on a single charge. It definitely made getting around a much more enjoyable visit to different areas. We tried the folding bikes (Rad), but found they ended up taking more room then our standard bikes and the rides are much more comfortable on our Pedigo’s.

I've been on the fence about whether or not I want to get an e-bike. I enjoy pedaling the bike, but I don't go nearly as fast was Wayne does. The problem becomes an issue when we go on a bike ride together. If I want to keep up with him, it's not that much fun for me anymore. Maybe an e-bike could give me that extra assist so he doesn't have to lollygag and I don't have wear myself out trying to keep up.

I bought Janet an e-bike a year ago, but on our first ride together, she on e, me on my road bike, I observed that when going up hills, she would get ahead, down or on the level, I would. Thus we wouldn't be together very often. This has led to many fewer rides together than we had planned. On our present vacation, we brought only the road bikes and cycle together 100% of the time.
It doesn't take much effort to match speeds when on the road bikes. Tell Wayne he needs to get into a lower gear to avoid getting out ahead
If you really want to match speeds, I .highly recommend both riding the same, e-bikes or road bikes

UPDATE - I've had my Ride1Up eBike for a few weeks, and have been using it in Ensenada for parts-runs and shopping. Can really carry a load - I've had up to about 80-lbs of junk (windlass, bronze fittings, etc). Nice to have the motor in many circumstances - there are not many shoulders here, though drivers are very polite to bicyclists. Having the throttle for extra boost to start-off quickly or get through an intersection quickly is a decent safety feature.

The biggest down-side is theft potential, though that's a concern for any decent bike.

Range has been a non-issue. I've done about 16-miles in one trip and was about half-down on battery.

Pedal-assist mode is cool. The amount of 'assist' is adjustable - there are 5 levels of assist. Or you can just use the throttle which I do in rare circumstances (starting from a cold-start with a fully-loaded bike is great). For those who think there is zero exercise, well, it can be as little or as much as you'd like.

Things I would do differently are 1) beefier rack and maybe a HD front rack too; 2) slightly longer wheelbase (beach-cruiser style); and 3) step-thru 'girls' frame to make it easiler to mount when bike is fully loaded. When I get ready to follow KSanders south, I'll likely get a folding version.

Overall, I can definitely see the use-case for an eBike as a true vehicle replacement. The speed and agility is pretty amazing.

Peter

Attachments

• eBike.jpg
    eBike.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 15
Peter, thanks for your bike review. Many of the things you discuss are why we are looking at them as well.

Received an email from Rad this morning for their new folding e-bike,

RadExpand 5 Electric Folding Bike

$1,299

e63793a7-72b6-44bb-bb7f-b18505756936.png

Jim

For anybody who though any sort of biccycle was worth taking on board, an e- bike is even better.

Peter, thanks for your bike review. Many of the things you discuss are why we are looking at them as well.

Received an email from Rad this morning for their new folding e-bike,

RadExpand 5 Electric Folding Bike

$1,299

e63793a7-72b6-44bb-bb7f-b18505756936.png

Jim

Does look like a nice bike at a decent price, though I wonder how strong the folding connection is - doesn't look built-up, so I'd look at some of the better reviewers for feedback before pulling the trigger.

I knew I wanted fenders and a bike rack which was not included on many bikes and really added to the cost. The Aventon Synch looked like a nice folder too, though quite a bit more expensive. One thing I did forgot to mention is the hydraulic brakes are way-cool. Not sure how they compare to mechanical brakes, but they are sure nice - especially on a bike capable of 28 mph.

To those who say an eBike is cheating because of the motor, you will only get my attention if your dinghy has oarlocks and no outboard.

Peter

This thread got me thinking about my folding e-bike that I've had for 7 years but hadn't used in a couple of years. I bought it because it fit in the cockpit when cruising in my 16' C-Dory. The battery was dead and would not take a charge. It is a 16 amp hour 48V lithium. The bike maker is still around, but the battery looks fairly generic. Maybe $200 to replace from what I see on the web. I'm going to take it in to some of the e-bike shops in Seattle and see what they say. Cost and ease of battery replacement might be something to ask a dealer before you make a decision on which model.

Having a folding bike on the little 16 allowed me to rod around to the Zeballos museum on Nootka Sound and out the logging roads at Stehekin on Lake Chelan. Can't see those from the boat (or rent a car, hire Uber, etc. at either place).

Attachments

• 103_0368.jpg
    103_0368.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 29
  • 102_0109.jpg
    102_0109.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 32
Yes, another reason not to lock into manufacturer that doesn't allow plug and play elements.
I've read (but not confirmed) that the new Bafang M625, for example, requires their battery and won't work on any other.

So far have found your dingy is an important limiting factor in bike selection.

We cruise as two. Most dinghies don’t allow 2 people and two non folding bikes without a bit of wiggling things around. It’s tough on the bikes.

Also weight becomes a concern getting bikes safely in and out of the dinghy if there’s a chop running.

We have two nice e-bikes at home. But come to the boat personally thinking of the two smallest lightest folding bikes maybe more suitable. Tried the e-bikes and too much a hassle unless in a slip

I would agree with you. My ‘Lectric folding e bike weighs about 65 lbs, about 60 with the battery removed. My folding Dahon which I used extensively with my dinghy weighs about 30 lbs.

I could lift the Dahon with one hand while leaning over the dock. Can’t do that with the ‘Lectric.

David

I have a decent ebike weighing 65 lbs. I'm pretty strong and agile. Getting it on/off a boat even in a slip would be difficult to say the least. Dinghy would be a non-starter.

I've briefly looked at e-Scooters but small tire size is a concern as my intended cruising will not have smooth paved roads as the US does. So reluctantly re-looking at folding bikes - pair if Dahons I had 20+ years ago were less than comfortable.

Any suggestions for folding non-ebike that is fairly durable, light, and affordable?

Peter

E-bike conversion: Getting Started

Hi,

https://ebikes.ca/getting-started/start-here.html

If you have any questions about a conversion.Above is a link and website with all the information needed to start.

I've done 4 ebike converstions to date, and finished my last one a year ago. It was a foldable Dahon bike. Now we have one for both me and my wife to. We're able to throw them on a tender, cruise any island, and make getting supplies alot easier.

FYI- Grin Technologies is a Canadian company. They develop their own parts, and if needed they source well made components.

'Looking for an ebike conversion and not sure where to start?
One of the many things we do here at Grin is supply conversion parts to people who are making their own electric bicycle. We've been doing this as a business for over 15 years and most of our customers are quite seasoned too, often doing their 3rd, 4th, or 5th ebike build. But for those who are new to the scene on ebike build number one there can be a lot to take in and this page is to help you navigate through those initial steps.' - Grin Technologies

Regards,

Troy

Hi,

https://ebikes.ca/getting-started/start-here.html

If you have any questions about a conversion.Above is a link and website with all the information needed to start.

I've done 4 ebike converstions to date, and finished my last one a year ago. It was a foldable Dahon bike. Now we have one for both me and my wife to. We're able to throw them on a tender, cruise any island, and make getting supplies alot easier.

FYI- Grin Technologies is a Canadian company. They develop their own parts, and if needed they source well made components.

'Looking for an ebike conversion and not sure where to start?
One of the many things we do here at Grin is supply conversion parts to people who are making their own electric bicycle. We've been doing this as a business for over 15 years and most of our customers are quite seasoned too, often doing their 3rd, 4th, or 5th ebike build. But for those who are new to the scene on ebike build number one there can be a lot to take in and this page is to help you navigate through those initial steps.' - Grin Technologies

Regards,

Troy
This looks like a great company. They even have a marine version for 'sailboats'...
Anyone who want's to 'roll their own' with their own bike should check them out.

Last edited:
There is likely an e-Bike in my future. Best I've found is this list -

https://www.bikeride.com/best-electric-bikes/

Folding sounds handy, but not sure it buys much given they aren't exactly demure so maybe a regular bike-size. Any thoughts or experiences out there? For me, would be used when cruising in lieu of either walking or a car/taxi.

Peter

After a year of study, I voted against the Euro brands which obey the euro standards and limitations. I bought a Chinese ebike which offers a hand throttle twist grip, allowed in everywhere except Europe. All ebikes are by definition "pedal-assist", but non-Euro brands allow a hand throttle power which helps me get off from a standing start without even peddling, which is very helpful sometimes. I find the Euro rules to be a bit Calvinistic. I bought a Rad bike, I think probably the largest ebike seller. I like it and they are less expensive.

The new 16 Kg Ado Air folding bike looks interesting: https://evehicletrip.com/ado-air-review/

$USD 999. With an aluminium frame and belt drive it should be better suited to the marine environment. Has torque assist and throttle power. Downside is no suspension.

We got Riese & Muller Tinker Vario compact bikes when we purchased last year (and are very happy with them) but these would have been a contender if they were around at the time I think.

After a year of study, I voted against the Euro brands which obey the euro standards and limitations. I bought a Chinese ebike which offers a hand throttle twist grip, allowed in everywhere except Europe. All ebikes are by definition "pedal-assist", but non-Euro brands allow a hand throttle power which helps me get off from a standing start without even peddling, which is very helpful sometimes. I find the Euro rules to be a bit Calvinistic. I bought a Rad bike, I think probably the largest ebike seller. I like it and they are less expensive.
It's been close to a year that I posted this original query. I bought a Ride1Up Class 3 bike (28mph on pedal assist - the Euro models are Class 2 limited to 20mph) and love it. But I'll push back a bit on your non-Euro statement.

First, most manufacturers offer Class 3 in the US even if they are "Euro" builders.

Second, 20mph is pretty dang fast. I rarely exceed this. Occasionally go faster to keep up with traffic.

Third, I think torque is a more interesting number than watts. Torque tells you if you can ascend a hill.

Fourth, battery capacity is over rated. How many really need a 50 mile range? I'd trade weight savings for reduced range.

While I love my ebike, I could see a second bike in my future which would be chosen on significantly different criteria. Euro 'Class 2' would be way down the list, at least for me.

Peter

It's been close to a year that I posted this original query. I bought a Ride1Up Class 3 bike (28mph on pedal assist - the Euro models are Class 2 limited to 20mph) and love it. But I'll push back a bit on your non-Euro statement.

First, most manufacturers offer Class 3 in the US even if they are "Euro" builders.

Second, 20mph is pretty dang fast. I rarely exceed this. Occasionally go faster to keep up with traffic.

Third, I think torque is a more interesting number than watts. Torque tells you if you can ascend a hill.

Fourth, battery capacity is over rated. How many really need a 50 mile range? I'd trade weight savings for reduced range.

While I love my ebike, I could see a second bike in my future which would be chosen on significantly different criteria. Euro 'Class 2' would be way down the list, at least for me.

Peter

I remember your original posts. I'm not sure what you're pushing back about. I'm not interested in more speed, just that you end up with independent throttle power. Most "Euro_builders" do not offer throttle-assist, because it's not allowed in EU countries.

But, I think Rad bikes are too heavy to buck on and off a boat. Some of the foldable aluminum or carbon-fiber light bikes make sense if you're trying to take a bike along on the boat.

This is an interesting bicycle company. Many years ago I sold their folding bikes that were equipped with an aftermarket gas engine. I bought one for myself and carried it in my Cessna 172 a couple of times. It might be fun to put an aftermarket electric motor on them.Take a look at the industrial bikes and ice cream bikes they make. https://www.worksmancycles.com/folding-bikes.html

Attachments

• 94FBA4E3-88A2-42BF-96A8-B3F9181CAE74.jpeg
    94FBA4E3-88A2-42BF-96A8-B3F9181CAE74.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 35EC128B-F04C-491B-9302-F48F7B89A00E.jpeg
    35EC128B-F04C-491B-9302-F48F7B89A00E.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 22
Any suggestions for folding non-ebike that is fairly durable, light, and affordable?

You might have a look at this:

https://www.downtube.com/8h-internal-hub-belt-drive-folding-bike/

We have a predecessor of this model, with chain drive. Front suspension improves urban ride a bit. Solid rear, allows relatively good load-carrying capacity. Internal hub removes all that derailleur crappola. I'd think a belt drive would be a nice improvement over chain.

Some of the hardware that controls folding wants some extra attention, T9 spray down, etc... and we usually carry ours in a bag for extra protection from salt spray.

-Chris

Have hard 7 for me and a bull for the bride . Pluses for big batteries is you can run on turbo all day. You can carry a lot of weight. The speed limiting allows you to ride in parks where unlimited is illegal. Haven’t found 20 mph a problem. Faster than that I can’t look around.

They're so much fun and a great way to get around without relying on a car or taxi. A regular bike-size eBike is the way to go, especially if you're using it for cruising.

After looking for a long time we bought two Fiido D4S, six speed, twist throttle and/or pedal assist, 40#, foldable, and $800 with free shipping. Looked at many others that were $$$ or ### and couldn't justify them as it's likely none will survive 5+ yrs on a boat. It is limited to 25km/hr but we found a hack that now allows us to get to 38km/hr which is plenty fast! Quality is great, support was prompt and explicit. Would highly recommend.

Fun but heavy and expensive.

It's getting better though.

pete

I modified a Swifty Air scooter with a 250 watt front hub motor. The scooter has 16 inch wheels and max speed is 10 MPH. So pretty safe, slow and rut resistant - :)

51722535471_f4ec3c4f54_z.jpg

Pretty light and compact and is also rated up to 350 pounds.

My Rattan LF 750

I was going to get a scooter without pedals (stand up variety), but Local laws (NC) consider them a motor vehicle. I decided on this LF 750 and built a dockbox for it. 23 mph can be scary, but it stops fast and I keep the battery charging on board. I added the mirrors and the phone holder. I also bought soft panniers (6" wide seat). I think they are currently having a sale at about $1100.

Attachments

• 20230624_164611.jpg
    20230624_164611.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230624_165024.jpg
    20230624_165024.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom