Rotating Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartouche

Vessel Name
On The EdJ
Vessel Make
Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Can someone let me know how you rotate a picture on this site very frustrating I think for allot of users. Many thanks

I’ve found if I post photos in “landscape” format, they will post correctly. If a photo is posted in “portrait” format, it will be sideways. If you have a previous photo that was captured in portrait format, load it into any photo processing software and crop it (remove the top and bottom) to make it landscape.

I loaded my sideways pictures from the forum to the drop box app, was then able to rotate them and then return them to my forum pics.

Next time I'm going to hold my phone in the other direction to see if that works.

I loaded my sideways pictures from the forum to the drop box app, was then able to rotate them and then return them to my forum pics.

Next time I'm going to hold my phone in the other direction to see if that works.
Thanks for the replies I will try both. Just seems crazy that there is no rotate feature on the attachment section.

This is what has worked for me for the last ten or twelve years on similar forum platforms. My experience is using an iPhone- I can’t speak to other devices.

Just use your photo app to edit your photo a little first. I usually just crop my pics, even if they don’t need it. A tiny slice off one side is enough.

Any other form of editing in the iPhone photo app seems to do the trick, though I can’t say I’ve systematically tried them all.

This photo editing will, for whatever reason, result in the photo showing in the correct upright position after uploading.

I just took this photo as an example. First one I uploaded as is. The second time around I edited the photo first by hitting the ‘auto’ enhance button.

D098E306-23A5-4966-AE5B-72BE08A719F4.jpeg

F346997C-78AD-4CCE-B42B-31CA2C6426D4.jpeg

PS - The iPhone camera position that results in upright photos -is when you hold it horizontally with the top of the phone to your left. If you take all your photos in this orientation then you shouldn’t have an issue.

Since I just take my pics ‘however’ and know of no way to later determine which way my phone was held when photos were taken. I just go ahead and edit them all a little before uploading.

Maybe a small PITA but not much more than having to go back and rotate them within the forum, even if we could.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies I will try both. Just seems crazy that there is no rotate feature on the attachment section.

This is exclusively an iPhone problem. For some reason if photos are taken on one in portrait mode, then it turns them sideways. Take them landscape and you're fine. The site assumes you'll have them upright and from computers and Android it's not an issue.

Otherwise, upload it somewhere and turn before attaching.

In my experience landscape mode only works if you have the phone oriented with the top to the left, which isn’t my usual way of holding it. Any of the other three orientations results in upside down or sideways pics.

In my experience landscape mode only works if you have the phone oriented with the top to the left, which isn’t my usual way of holding it. Any of the other three orientations results in upside down or sideways pics.

Holding the phone in landscape mode. Not what you're selecting, but the way you're holding it. Length horizontal.

I understand.

That pic of the wd40 was taken in landscape mode. Top to right.

It only results in upright pics if the phone is held top to left in landscape mode.

Last edited:
I understand.

It only results in upright pics of the phone is held top to left in landscape mode.

I know this may not make sense, but true landscape is top to left. And I really don't like iPhones...lol. Sorry, but these things are really annoying for their owners and this isn't the only forum with the problem. Everywhere people post photos. I must be an iPhone in another life as it's the only thing I know with more idiosyncrasies.

Last edited:
I suggest all pics display on a spinning axis. Upside down, sideways, sideways, correct. And repeat. That way they will be correctly positioned, 1 out of 4.

My avatar picture shows my boat heading straight up like a rocket. However, if I tap on the picture it takes me to my profile page and my boat picture is correct. Go figure.

This is what has worked for me for the last ten or twelve years on similar forum platforms. My experience is using an iPhone- I can’t speak to other devices.

Just use your photo app to edit your photo a little first. I usually just crop my pics, even if they don’t need it. A tiny slice off one side is enough.

Any other form of editing in the iPhone photo app seems to do the trick, though I can’t say I’ve systematically tried them all.

This photo editing will, for whatever reason, result in the photo showing in the correct upright position after uploading.

I just took this photo as an example. First one I uploaded as is. The second time around I edited the photo first by hitting the ‘auto’ enhance button.

View attachment 126667

View attachment 126668

PS - The iPhone camera position that results in upright photos -is when you hold it horizontally with the top of the phone to your left. If you take all your photos in this orientation then you shouldn’t have an issue.

Since I just take my pics ‘however’ and know of no way to later determine which way my phone was held when photos were taken. I just go ahead and edit them all a little before uploading.

Maybe a small PITA but not much more than having to go back and rotate them within the forum, even if we could.
Thanks for that - a great tip because it is so simple.
I understand.

It only results in upright pics if the phone is held top to left in landscape mode.
Yes, Apple assumes we are all right-handed. If you think about it - it sort of makes sense in a percentage way, but some are left-handed, and maybe some folk feel they can hold the phone more steady in their right hand, so prefer to shoot with the left..?

However, we often do want to use the vertical portrait aspect because it fits the detail desired in better. In that case make sure the firing button is at the bottom - that often still works - but not in TF, so if not, do the tip above.
:thumb:

My avatar picture shows my boat heading straight up like a rocket. However, if I tap on the picture it takes me to my profile page and my boat picture is correct. Go figure.

Two different photos, one is a profile picture and the other is your avatar.
Here is your avatar photo re-oriented.

Attachments

7.6 KB · Views: 158
I always thought ‘landscape mode’ just meant either of the two possible horizontal positions. Now I can’t find a name for the top to right horizontal position. Sort of an anti-landscape mode I guess …

When you hold your iphone in landscape, be sure to have the camera lens up at the top.

I always thought ‘landscape mode’ just meant either of the two possible horizontal positions. Now I can’t find a name for the top to right horizontal position. Sort of an anti-landscape mode I guess …

Reverse landscape, much like turning the phone upside down is upside down portrait.

This is exclusively an iPhone problem. For some reason if photos are taken on one in portrait mode, then it turns them sideways. Take them landscape and you're fine. The site assumes you'll have them upright and from computers and Android it's not an issue.

Otherwise, upload it somewhere and turn before attaching.
I do not have an Iphone I am using an android phone I think it is a global problem.

I have found that if I take a picture with my phone (iPhone) send it to my computer and then grab it from within the forum it is often rotated for me. As in wrong.

If I download it to my computer, then OPEN it in a viewing program and SAVE it, without any changes, and THEN grab it from within the forum it stays oriented properly.

BTW, the problem is not just here, it's also on another V-Bulletin powered forum.

Cartouche I wonder if my editing trick I posted on page one would work for your Android. It’s an easy thing to try.

I have found that if I take a picture with my phone (iPhone) send it to my computer and then grab it from within the forum it is often rotated for me. As in wrong.

If I download it to my computer, then OPEN it in a viewing program and SAVE it, without any changes, and THEN grab it from within the forum it stays oriented properly.

BTW, the problem is not just here, it's also on another V-Bulletin powered forum.
Aha, something from Oscar's post just prompted me to consider a reason why many of us iPhone users find the issue variable. This may well be because many of us use the iCloud, where photos taken on the iPhone or iPad automatically populate our other devices, so the orientation error is not corrected.

But maybe if one sends the pic as a message or email to your computer, then open it there and save it to photos, the orientation might be corrected by that action - rather like just opening it in a photo app on the computer and clicking on 'auto-enhance' like oeanda suggested..?

Cartouche I wonder if my editing trick I posted on page one would work for your Android. It’s an easy thing to try.

Many thanks I will try it for sure next time just seems weird that the picture is right in my files and wrong when posted.

There are several free or cheap apps and computer programs that will allow you to rotate images, etc. Just do a search.

Can someone let me know how you rotate a picture on this site very frustrating I think for allot of users. Many thanks

What I found is is you load the picture on your computer (I use a Microsoft Tablet) then open the picture using the included Photo application. Then hit EDIT/Create. Rotate as needed and save as another name (version2). Doing this gets the upload orientation correct.

This works regardless of what you use to take the picture. I take most of mine with an iPhone, email them to myself and do what I explained. It works every time.

What I found is is you load the picture on your computer (I use a Microsoft Tablet) then open the picture using the included Photo application. Then hit EDIT/Create. Rotate as needed and save as another name (version2). Doing this gets the upload orientation correct.

This works regardless of what you use to take the picture. I take most of mine with an iPhone, email them to myself and do what I explained. It works every time.

cheers i will try it just seems really like a whole bunch of e that could be addressed to make it simple

cheers i will try it just seems really like a whole bunch of e that could be addressed to make it simple

We all sympathise and agree, however if using an iPhone to photograph, if you always take boat pics in landscape (horizontal position), with firing button to the right, and lens top left, they will always post ok. :)

Perennial discussion. Something TF could surely fix.S aving endless member reprocessing, neck and eye strain gymnastics,frustrations, etc.

Perennial discussion. Something TF could surely fix.S aving endless member reprocessing, neck and eye strain gymnastics,frustrations, etc.

Actually TF can't fix. It's the way photos are added to V-Bulletin and it's also true for most other forum software. Easy enough solutions provided to phone users above. The issue really comes from the phone side of things. Posting from computer isn't a problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom