diesel prices near me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swa

For what ever reason you may point to. Its getting crazy

Anclote River Tarpon Springs Florida (Tampa Bay Area) 3/6/22

Diesel- $5.18 gallon

Wonder what diesel is running in Southern California.

I heard LA hit over $7 per gallon for gas. Here in Central Florida we hit $4.

Last edited:
Diesel is $9.68/US gallon here in southern Sweden right now -- at the local gas station. And that's with an unusually STRONG dollar right now.

I haven't gone to check a marina pump price here recently -- but they are typically 10-20% higher than local gas station prices. This is all roughly 50% higher than a year ago.

I just saw $5.99/gal for diesel at our local station that is usually competitive. This is in San Diego. Seems prices are all over the place at the moment. Next week will be ugly I suspect.

We spent the weekend in Delaware, before driving home (for the next two weeks!) to Southern PA.

Delaware prices were $3.99/gallon for gasoline (I have a love/hate relationship with my 33 gallon tank) and $4.49/gallon for diesel. Here is southern PA, prices are currently $0.20/gallon higher (PA taxes are 25 cents/gallon higher).

Jim

Diesel is still just under $4.00 here, but the higher grade (winter mix) is $4.05. That's a street price, not the marina price. I'll bet our marina gasoline will be $6.00 by May.

Great Scott! Diesel at $9.68/US gallon in southern Sweden. Gulp! Um glad to see you own a hybrid boat. So my take is I'll be running jerry cans to the local gas station several times next fill up. I never thought I'd consider that. Were spoiled brats here is the US for sure

Diesel today at Gulf Harbor in Fort Myers is $4.32 per gallon. New River marina in Sneads Ferry, NC is $4.45 per gallon. Atlantic Yacht Basin in VA Beach is $3.45 per gallon. Seems like a number of places haven't bought fuel since the price increase.

On road diesel is running around $4.60 per gallon here in Fort Myers.

Ted

Diesel today at Gulf Harbor in Fort Myers is $4.32 per gallon. New River marina in Sneads Ferry, NC is $4.45 per gallon. Atlantic Yacht Basin in VA Beach is $3.45 per gallon. Seems like a number of places haven't bought fuel since the price increase.

On road diesel is running around $4.60 per gallon here in Fort Myers.

Ted
Oil and byproducts are highly fungible and are traded in a global market. Price of stored fuel is connected to spot market, not what the service station paid for the fuel. A big change from 30+ years ago when many service stations were independently owned.

Marine fuel docks operate on cost-plus basis. You can definitely arbitrage price in a rising market.

Peter

$4.54 here in Jacksonville today. Visitors from Atlanta saw $4.99 on their way through Georgia along I-95.

I just saw $5.99 here in Northern CA for road fuel. I hunted around and found the lowest price of $5.25. It's up $1 in a week. It is hard to say where it will go over the next couple months. I heard a report that XOM is trying to ramp up production in the Permian basin but knowing what's going on in the oil industry most companies are afraid to lease lands to explore due to fear that the government will change the rules and they'll lose any investment they make.

We are sneaking up on AUD $2.00/ltr here (USD5.60/Gal). Slowing down by half a knot is going to save a lot more than waiting for prices to drop.

From the WSJ this morning : "Brent crude futures, the benchmark in international energy markets, rose 9.8% early Monday to $129.69 a barrel after earlier reaching $139.13." `.

Oil and byproducts are highly fungible and are traded in a global market. Price of stored fuel is connected to spot market, not what the service station paid for the fuel. A big change from 30+ years ago when many service stations were independently owned.

Marine fuel docks operate on cost-plus basis. You can definitely arbitrage price in a rising market.

Peter

But even then, I see many of the fuel docks around here set their prices early in the season and then they stay until winter, regardless of whether prices go up or down. I'm guessing many of them are buying fuel on bulk contracts to keep the price steady.

Diesel- $5.18 gallon

I'm new here and just saw this. I don't think $5 diesel is crazy, in fact that's probably the lowest we'll see this summer, if that.

I'm new here and just saw this. I don't think $5 diesel is crazy, in fact that's probably the lowest we'll see this summer, if that.

It's not necessarily just that prices are crazy, but the rate of price increase over the last couple of weeks is unusually rapid.

It's not necessarily just that prices are crazy, but the rate of price increase over the last couple of weeks is unusually rapid.

True, but isn't that to be expected with a similar rate of increase in the price of oil in the past few weeks?

True, but isn't that to be expected with a similar rate of increase in the price of oil in the past few weeks?

Absolutely. But rapid increases like this don't happen often, so it throws people's planning off more than just a steady high price would. At this point, I have no idea whether gas for the boat will be $4.79 when we launch or if it'll be $5.99.

Of all the years for me to have a winter project that needed empty fuel tanks (vs our usual procedure of filling before winter storage)...

Absolutely. But rapid increases like this don't happen often, so it throws people's planning off more than just a steady high price would. At this point, I have no idea whether gas for the boat will be $4.79 when we launch or if it'll be $5.99.

Of all the years for me to have a winter project that needed empty fuel tanks (vs our usual procedure of filling before winter storage)...

I'm glad my tanks are full, as usual in the spring. I can probably last the season if I'm careful. I don't know why the rapid rise should surprise you. The price of oil is double what it was a year ago, up over 30% in the last month, and still rising. I'm expecting most fuel docks will be somewhere in the $6-$10 range this summer. I hope I'm wrong.

My brother-in-law says it costs less than $6 to fully recharge his Tesla at a commercial charging station, which gets him about 300 miles of range.
More electric boats have to be showing up soon!

I'm glad my tanks are full, as usual in the spring. I can probably last the season if I'm careful. I don't know why the rapid rise should surprise you. The price of oil is double what it was a year ago, up over 30% in the last month, and still rising. I'm expecting most fuel docks will be somewhere in the $6-$10 range this summer. I hope I'm wrong.

2020 through early 2021 was an anomaly, so I figured that would go away. By summer last year, gas docks were back into the low to mid $4 range, which was about what they were prior to COVID. But right now, it seems like every time I drive past a gas station, the prices are up another 10 - 15 cents.

Until the current crap with Russia, there was no reason to expect fuel costs to increase this dramatically. It was looking like this year would be a bit more expensive than last year. But now I'm figuring we may be easily 50% more than last year.

Diesel- $5.18 gallon

Turtle Cove (close by) is showing $3.95 and down here in Madiera Beach we have $3.99 fuel.......

going up......

My brother-in-law says it costs less than $6 to fully recharge his Tesla at a commercial charging station, which gets him about 300 miles of range.
More electric boats have to be showing up soon!

Funny I was just thinking about Tesla. I drove by a local mall yesterday. They have a dozen or more Tesla charging stations in the parking lot. Every time I drive by there are always a few Teslas parked there charging. I doubt any of them are shopping but rather just getting a quick re-charge. Teslas certainly have a lot of pros, but sitting in a car in a parking lot on Sunday morning is not one of them.

Yep, me too. Small price to pay for trying to resist barbarism. Normally I would be annoyed and frustrated, but not for this.

:thumb::thumb:

And not being full time boaters, I don't need to go great distances to enjoy boating. Sometimes it's just a short trip to drop the anchor and enjoy the day, or an hour or so to anchor in a nearby harbor. Probably be doing more this year than extended trips, but the enjoyment is still there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defiantly worth topping off now. Hopefully the prices will calm down in the next 2100 miles.

Attachments

• BBYH_Diesel.jpg
    BBYH_Diesel.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 21
I'm the rare guy. I very much want higher diesel and gas prices at the marina pumps. The marinas, anchorages, and channels are filled with boaters who flocked to the isolation of boating during Covid coupled with a strong economy.

I want room in the anchorages. Room at the dinghy dock. I want a marina that doesn't have a 100 person wait list.

I'm the rare guy. I very much want higher diesel and gas prices at the marina pumps. The marinas, anchorages, and channels are filled with boaters who flocked to the isolation of boating during Covid coupled with a strong economy.

I want room in the anchorages. Room at the dinghy dock. I want a marina that doesn't have a 100 person wait list.

I figure that will be the upside of expensive fuel this year. I'm hoping it tames the rapidly exploding idiot population we suffered last year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom