AIS Transmit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don’t believe there is a Garmin transmit on/off switch, hardware or software. Others here have said they have added one, for their own reasons.
You must have a configuration or network error somewhere. Just a guess.

If there is no MMSI assigned it won’t transmit.
If there was one assigned you can not change it (maybe Garmin or the dealer can)

Installation manual

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/AIS_600_Instructions_EN.pdf

Manual states you need to set it up with it connected to a PC and using included cable and setup software from an included CDROM - might want to think of a newer B+ AIS!

Page 8 shows the connections for "Silent Mode".

Hmmmm, AIS, not required on recreational boats and if you have it, not required to turn it on and if you turn it on, there is no requirement to transmit.

I guess it is not required to transmit on commercial ships because there are a lot of 'ghost' ships out there.

In an area known for pirates, I can understand turning the AIS totally off. I sort of doubt the pirates will be transmitting their position. SHRUG
There is only one way to defend your self is to catch them off guard and it possible, run them down and "steam away."

I suspect the USCG and the USN can go silent too.

Last edited:
Not sure if it helps but i have a vesper 8000 ais and its wifi so easy to use with a phone app. If your looking to get things updated might be something to look at for removing stress. Couldnt be easier to operate. Only thing is you program your msi once and if you error it has to be sent in for reprogramming.
Twisted tree knows a lot about this stuff. I would listen to his advise over mine.Should be able to follow the antenna cable to find its location.

Bob,

On your questions:

(1) So, my basic question is how do I know if the correct MMSI was ever put into the radio<?>

(2)...is there a way to turn the Active transmit on and off?

(3)I don't know if you control this through the radio or the Garmin – GPSMAP 1242 Touch displays. Assistance and knowledge appreciated.

RESPONSES:
(1) A couple of easy ways:
-go to a neighbor's boat, look at your AIS info via their MFD and see what number and name are coming across.
-go to a site like www.marinetraffic.com, find your boat on the map, click on it and go to vessel details and the MMSI number will be on that page

From what you describe, it will probably show up under the original owner's vessel name and MMSI. You will most likely need to get a new MMSI and send it to Garmin to get the MMSI re-programmed

(2) The AIS 600 can go into silent mode only via a hard-wired switch. Look at the unit from the front side, the connectors going from left to right. The first connector on the left is a BNC style and goes to the remote GPS antenna. The second connector from the left is the SRM cable. If they didn't leave that cable hanging on/unconnected, you'll need to find one. The part number is: 010-11422-01

To wire up a "go silent" switch:
Connect the yellow and green wires on the SRM cable to a single pole, single throw toggle switch. When you close the switch, the AIS600 enters silent mode.

(3) the AIS600 is a legacy model and appears to only go into silent mode (transmit off) via hard wired switch

Last edited:
Ais

Twistedtree -

Under the flybridge brow was one of the first places I looked - no joy. I am betting it is under the console containing the flush mounted GPSMAP 1242s on lower helm station but have not looked yet - still a little cold up here. Once I find the little bugger I will be able to see if the second terminal from left has a wire attached to it. When I do find it I will try to do a set up program on it and enter the MMSI from PO and the FCC in case it was never loaded in first place. I am betting that second owner never got their PO MMSI and didn't send the Garmin AIS 600 off to have it reset and programmed with new MMSI. PO had boat in Bahamas and Cuba so if he followed the rules he had to have a MMSI from FCC. But he might have just put it into the Standard Horizon VHF DCS. More to come when I locate it.
Bob

Twistedtree -

Under the flybridge brow was one of the first places I looked - no joy. I am betting it is under the console containing the flush mounted GPSMAP 1242s on lower helm station but have not looked yet - still a little cold up here. Once I find the little bugger I will be able to see if the second terminal from left has a wire attached to it. When I do find it I will try to do a set up program on it and enter the MMSI from PO and the FCC in case it was never loaded in first place. I am betting that second owner never got their PO MMSI and didn't send the Garmin AIS 600 off to have it reset and programmed with new MMSI. PO had boat in Bahamas and Cuba so if he followed the rules he had to have a MMSI from FCC. But he might have just put it into the Standard Horizon VHF DCS. More to come when I locate it.
Bob

If no MMSI was entered, that’s good BUT you have one shot to enter it correctly. Therefore make sure it’s an MMSI you control.

Twistedtree -

Bob

I'm not sure what year your 47 EU is, but on my 2009 there was a panel in the guest room on the aft wall that opened up to provide access to the area behind the console. A bunch of my electronics were in there, as well as in the guest room overhead behind the ceiling panels.

Do you have one or two antennas for VHF? If just one then you might have a splitter in the line. Follow the antenna wire from the back of the VHF if just one antenna and you should find the AIS.
If two antennas then start at the antenna and work your way back.
In your search I’m sure you will find lots of other good to know things about your boat. Like looking for Easter eggs. Good luck

Ais

Twistedtree -

Thanks again - she is a 2008 and that was examined pretty closely by me first time around - I left it open to check again - didn't see it there the first time around.

DW19790A - I believe there are two - there is a fiberglass whip on port side of flybridge and I believe the AIS 600 comes with its own antenna (it could be receive only) on the mast mount. You ask a very good question. After I look at one place I have not looked yet (behind GPSMAPs at lower helm) I will have to start tracing wires back. It could very well be that there is a splitter down stream from whip. Thanks for your post.
Bob

How many VHFs do you have, and how many antennas? If the number of antennas is the same as the number of VHFs, then you have a splitter for the AIS. If there is one more antenna, then the AIS has it's own. There may be some freak exceptions, but this should be 90% true.

The Garmin AIS 600 has a built-in splitter. It can share an antenna with a VHF radio, if desired, or be installed with its own dedicated antenna. There are two RF connectors on the back of the unit. On the left is the antenna connector for the AIS. On the right, the RF connector for the optional interconnect cable to a VHF radio, if the antenna is being shared. BTW, all of this information is in the Garmin AIS 600 Installation Manual.

Attachments

• AIS 600 N2K Wiring.jpg
    AIS 600 N2K Wiring.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 42
I have a VHF antenna and an AM/FM antenna on opposite sides of the flying bridge. Both are 8', so I have the "matched set" look. Three feet behind the VHF antenna is the hardware for another antenna that was removed. No idea what it was for (CB?).

A dedicated AIS only antenna and cable are about $100, cheaper than any antenna splitter I have seen. Dual VHF/AIS antennas are also more than $100 and get mixed reviews. And dedicated AIS antennas are generally agreed to be better than using an antenna splitter, so long as there is enough distance between the AIS antenna and other antennas. But is that all antennas?

I can switch my antennas so that the AM/FM would be the one within 3 feet of an AIS antenna. The VHF antenna would then be 9 feet away (far enough by what I've read). Since the AM/FM doesn't transmit, is it okay that it is only 3 feet away from the AIS antenna?

Ais

Twistedtree & LarryM -

Okay so the boat has one VHF Radio (Standard Horizon P2000), and one fiberglass whip antenna on Port side of fly bridge. I know exactly where they both are. Seems like if I follow the antenna cable off that P2000 box over the center windshield at lower helm It will either go to a splitter or the Garmin AIS 600. Does that make sense to you guys?

Thanks for your inputs.

Bob

Bob,

With only one VHF antenna on your boat, it seems logical. I seriously doubt you will find a separate splitter since there is one already built-into the AIS 600. My bet is that following the cable from the antenna will take you right to the AIS unit, and from there you will find another RF cable that continues to the VHF radio. See diagram in post #42.

Alternatively, you could follow the cable from the GA38 GPS antenna back to the AIS 600. See diagram in post #42.

Good luck.

Larry

Larry, is the VHF antenna cable first hooked to the Garmin 600 and then a jumper goes to the VHF? It is like installing the AIS inline into the antenna cable.

Larry, is the VHF antenna cable first hooked to the Garmin 600 and then a jumper goes to the VHF? It is like installing the AIS inline into the antenna cable.

Yes, exactly. The antenna cable connects to the left RF connector. The jumper (interconnect) cable from the radio connects to the right RF connector.

Garmin.jpg

AIS Saga Continues

Hi All -
Well I got back over to the boat today and got house batteries hooked up and charged up - so at least I have power to troubleshoot some items. If you will recall I am trying to find my Garmin AIS 600 so that I can figure out why I only receive but do not transmit own ship to others.

So, I finally struggled to get the plastic caps off of one of the lower helm GPMMAP Touch units (Garmin needs to figure out something better than those caps) - all done so I could look behind the lower helm displays to see if the 600 was in that cubby. No joy - natta - nope.

So, I took a close look at the radio and the antenna jack cable to see where it was headed. The radio is in the overhead lockers where windshield wiper motors are. The antenna lead heads horizontally to the overhead above galley and seems to be tending to Port side - which is good because that is where the VHF antenna is located.

I ran out of time but I am thinking that the unit is tucked into the bulkhead where antenna attaches or in the forward Port locker on flybridge. Right now it has a few life jackets stuffed in there - but I have cleaned that locker up and don't remember seeing any thing there. We will see - more to come.

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• Lower Helm Display area 1A.jpg
    Lower Helm Display area 1A.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 28
AIS Saga continues

Hello Again -

So, today I set out to accomplish two things: (1) Turn on the Garmin equipment and look for AIS contacts and (2) Trace the coax cable from the whip antenna on Port side of fly bridge to where ever it goes.

Turned on GPS and radio and on the GPSMAP displays up came the few AIS boats transmitting this time of year where we are. Then I went to the Marine Traffic app on my iPhone and there was no Serenity or previous boat owner boat's name displayed. Conclusion - the boat is not actively transmitting her MMSI and GPS position.

Now I went to flybridge and opened the locker with all the life jackets are stowed - they were damp so took them (6) out to air out. On the outboard side of this locker is the VHF whip antenna. I took the panel off (see photo) and sure enough their was the coax cable from antenna. It came thru outer fiberglass and went forward into the area where AC blower is located just forward of fly bridge helm. So, I crawled thru access doors on starboard side and scrunched my way all the way over to the Port side. Positively located the coax and it went directly to forward bulkhead (see Photo) in that equipment area and thru it. Two items of note: (1) there is am old Furuno antenna in that space and a 18" diameter disk with "SeaWatch" on a label - I have no idea what they are for - I think just old equipment abandoned in place.

Okay I got myself out of this pretty tight area and went below (lower helm area) to find the VHF coax coming thru fiberglass bulkhead. Sure enough located it with my hand and followed it to just above VHF radio (see photo) - you can see two white wires in photo - the one on the left is from the antenna and the one on the right from the VHF Radio. It then disappeared thru a hole along with coax coming off VHF radio and one black wire (see photo). This hole is the same one I described in last post that disappears to over the overhead panel (see photo). In the last photo of the panel you can see the lockers open and VHF radio shown just to left of centerline.

I stopped there because I have never taken an overhead panel down. Can some one help me by describing how to remove one panel with a light fixture and I think the center overhead hand rail also preventing removal? That would really assist - also prevent me from screwing up the panel.

Help appreciated,
Bob

Attachments

• VHF Antenna wire 2.jpg
    VHF Antenna wire 2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 18
  • VHF Antenna wire 4.jpg
    VHF Antenna wire 4.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 16
  • VHF Antenna wire 6.jpg
    VHF Antenna wire 6.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 16
  • VHF Antenna wire 7.jpg
    VHF Antenna wire 7.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 16
  • VHF Antenna wire 9.jpg
    VHF Antenna wire 9.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 16
My boat had a bunch of stuff above the ceiling panels, so I think you are on the right track.

You should be able to grab the light around the rim and pull it down slowly. They are held in by mouse-trap springs. As you are pulling is down, go slowly and try to grab the springs to hold them. Otherwise when they clear the hole, they will snap down on your fingers. It's not lethal, but will get your attention. The light wires will almost certainly have spade or barrel connectors so you can disconnect the wires.

The panels are held in place with plastic plugs and sockets, so it just snaps into place. Once the light is out, grab the panel through the light hole and give it a sharp tug. That should release it, and be ready for it to come down all at once. Or it might just partially release and you can then pull down the other edges.

Ais

Twistedtree -

Thanks for the rapid response. The end of the center overhead grab rail touches the Port and Starboard forward panels. Does that have to be unscrewed to also release a panel? Or do you think they (the panel & Grab rail) just abut each other?

Thanks,
Bob

It's too long ago for me to say with any certainty. I know I had the guest room overhead panels down a number of times to access the electronics above it, including the area behind the displays. I'm not remembering any salon panels specifically. On my current boat they are a snug fit to surrounding woodwork, but not attached.

I think I'd just try carefully removing that panel. Or maybe try to get a think blade into the gap to see what it feels like?

Hopefully another more current 47 EU owner can help. It's been close to 10 years for me.

s

This thread is like a great mystery tour - Will he find it? Where did they hide it?

One thing not to lose sight of is the MMSI for the VHF radio. Without the MMSI your DSC emergency button will be way less useful. The Standard Horizon VHF will likely have to go to a electronics shop for reprogramming to your current MMSI. You should also check that the VHF is hooked to your GPS - easy to determine because these radios display lat/lon on the screen if hooked up. The advantage of the DSC is that it typically has greater range (small data package is transmitted) and with the MMSI number, will include location, vessel info and emergency contact info for Coast Guard.

I have been told that Coast Guard in Canada hates DSC alerts because something like 90% of the DSC emergency calls have no position or vessel info. Because the radios are not connected to GPS and do not have an associated MMSI.

I am betting that it is not above the ceiling panel.

AIS Located

Hi All -

There she is - in all her AIS glory. Thanks to some advice from Twistedtree about the overhead panels - this morning my wife and I located the Garmin AIS 600. Also I want to thank Larry M for telling us that the AIS 600 has a splitter within it - both of you guys were right on. Photos of the AIS 600 and overhead panel attached.

Now I need to get ahold of Garmin for the next steps in troubleshooting the black box. There are 8 lights on the box and when powered on:

"All On" - Solid Green Light
"RX" - Blinking Green Light
"TX" - No Light
"RX Only" - Solid Yellow Light
"Warning" - Solid Yellow Light
"SRM" - No Light
"Error"

AIS Located

Sorry - hit wrong button

"Error" - No Light
"VHF TX" - No light

So I will look at the manual to see if I can learn anything and also call Garmin tomorrow.

Thanks, for the assist and I will let you know what I find,
Bob

Attachments

• Garmin AIS 600 1.jpg
    Garmin AIS 600 1.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Garmin AIS 600 3.jpg
    Garmin AIS 600 3.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Salon Overhead Panel 3-22.jpg
    Salon Overhead Panel 3-22.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 12
I loved following the adventure of finding it!

Manual suggests using the AIS 600 set up software to determine further. Need to get the software and a cable to attach to the PC. Probably a hassle given it may be incompatible with current generations of operating systems.

One quick question: manual says it won't share GPS information with the chart plotter and it needs its own GPS antenna. That's the far left plug coming in to it. Does that antenna work? Are you able to receive information just not transmit it?

Last edited:
There are 8 lights on the box and when powered on:

"All On" - Solid Green Light
"RX" - Blinking Green Light
"TX" - No Light
"RX Only" - Solid Yellow Light
"Warning" - Solid Yellow Light
"SRM" - No Light
"Error"

Mystery continues..

So what color lights are on? I believe you mentioned you are receiving but believe it is not transmitting. (Note that the online AIS apps have at least a 10 minute delay)

Ais

All -

On page 10 (ten) of AIS 600 manual there is information on how to interpret the LED lights. Basically with the solid yellow "RX only" light on it appears (at first blush) that no MMSI was entered into the unit - it clearly states the unit will not transmit w/o the MMSI entered. Possibly it was installed and then no one ran the startup software. Like I said i will call Garmin to get their recommendations.

Thanks,
Bob

Ais

SoWhat -

The name of the light is in quotes and when powered on today the info next to each show light condition, otherwise with no power on all is dark. I left the unit on for well over 1/2 hour to ensure there was plenty of time for Marinetraffic.com to respond with our contact - nothing.

Bob

I have had a couple of AIS tracking sites take up to several hours to show a new position for our boat after the AIS is turned on. One of them took almost 3 days to update after we updated our vessel name and call sign on the on-board AIS/DSC, so just from my personal experience your 1/2 hour of on time may not have been enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom