AIS Transmit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kernr

Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Europa
Good Evening -

A couple of questions to get our boat to transmit on AIS. The boat is a GB 47 EU and she receives other AIS equipped boats but doesn't currently transmit. She has Vertex Standard PS 2000 VHF with 2 CMP 25B hand mikes and a Garmin 600 AIS. Because we want the capability of going to Nova Scotia I have been dealing with the FCC. The previous owner canceled his MMSI license and I have gotten the boat's MMSI license from the FCC. I have also gotten the FRN and Restricted Radiotelephone Operator permit. So, my basic question is how do I know if the correct MMSI was ever put into the radio or is there a way to turn the Active transmit on and off? I don't know if you control this through the radio or the Garmin – GPSMAP 1242 Touch displays. Assistance and knowledge appreciated.

Bob

That AIS is controlled through your chart plotter. I'm not on the boat at the moment, so I'm not sure if it's in the main menu under configuration or under in the chart plotter section under my vessel. The manual is downloadable online or I could check my system later today.

Ted

The AIS seller discouraged me from including a picture of or too much information on my boat, for security reasons. He said there have been incidents where pleasure boats were tracked and stolen by unsavory people. Having a picture might make it too easy to find and identify your boat. Power to my AIS comes from the ignition.
I too have a switch to turn off the transmit feature.

You will need to get your new MMSI programmed into the AIS, and also the VHFs so their DSC function works correctly. Worst case all will need to be sent to their respective service centers for reprogramming.

First, check what MMSI is programmed currently. If you are lucky, none will be programmed and you can just program yours. Otherwise the change will have to be made by a dealer or service center. Check with each manufacturer for guidance.

Ted - Thanks for the feedback. I do have the Garmin chart plotter instructions on my computer and it does have some advise / instruction on AIS but mostly contact data info. I could not really find anything on turning AIS Transmit on or off. Also I didn't see anything about reading a MMSI from my own system. The Garmin 600 AIS box instructions talk about putting the MMSI into the device and how once saved it can't be changed.

So I am thinking that what I need to do is get the AIS 600 sw disc downloaded onto my portable computer and use a usb cord to talk to the AIS 600. Possibly that will allow me to see if the MMSI was ever entered and if so what it is.

I am the third owner of the boat and it is possible that the first owner entered an MMSI and the second owner never adopted the first owner's MMSI and got his own but never sent it back to Garmin to be re-programmed with a his new MMSI. PO does not recall much about MMSI or AIS.

Bob

I have Garmin plotter & AIS on my boat.

When I entered my MMSI I'm pretty sure it said that subsequent
changes or re-programming would have to done by a Garmin tech
or sent out to a service center.

I did have to use a laptop to run the AIS setup disc with a
USB cord going into a network plug.

Assuming we're speaking of a Class B AIS, they are not expensive. It may be worthwhile and less hassle to get a new one that interfaces with say Coastal Explorer and your Garmin MFD. We have a Simrad AIS that connects easily to the Furuno MFD system and laptop charting systems.

As far as VHF DSC that is a different story. But, an EPIRB or similar is the fail safe method IMHO for a real emergency as they are not limited by VHF range.

Ais 600

Silly Question:

Does any one have an idea where they might have placed the Garmin AIS 600 on a GB 47. Yesterday I looked for it with no luck. I looked behind the electrical covers in guest stateroom, above the windshield where the radio is located, and under the console on the fly bridge - not seen in any of those places. Would it possibly be behind the Garmin Flush mounts at the lower helm? Where do others have their AIS box mounted? Trying to avoid ripping apart boat to find this little rascal. It's 9" X 7" X 2" (deep) and ways 4lbs. Could be anywhere. Where else can I look?

Bob

Lift the slope area in the instrument panel.
Any panel that has piano hindges at the inside steering station.
OR, trace the antenna wire back. I am lucky because my antenna is white, as I recall. You should see the wire color at the base of the fold down antenna.

If you talk to the past owner you can do a transfer of MMSI numbers though BoatUS.

Now a Garmin AIS 600 is only a receiver so there is no programing!

Is the FFC now taking over MMSI numbers now?

The AIS seller discouraged me from including a picture of or too much information on my boat, for security reasons. He said there have been incidents where pleasure boats were tracked and stolen by unsavory people. Having a picture might make it too easy to find and identify your boat.

I neither have AIS (yet) nor am I remotely qualified to discuss it, but it doesn't seem to me that a picture of one's boat would aid someone in finding a boat broadcasting its location to the world on something called Automatic Identification System. What am I missing?

Ais

Hi everyone -

Iggy - As I stated in the beginning we are thinking about both Nova Scotia and the Bahamas. So, international travel with boat requires an FCC MMSI license. The good news is I do have the FCC MMSI license number from previous owner - I just do not know what is in the AIS 600 and PO did not recall and I am the third owner. The Garmin AIS 600 is programmable and needs the correct MMSI in it. For domestic marine travel Boats US is a viable option.

Old Dan 1943 - So, my 47 does not have a hinge and lift up as you described. Also from the guest stateroom I can see all of the controls on that surface and there is no AIS 600 there. Possibly under the enclosure for the Garmin flush mounts - just reluctant to take them off their mounts.

Headed to Texas - I will let Old Dan answer your question.

Thanks for the responses,
Bob

Attachments

• DSCN0043.jpg
    DSCN0043.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 28
If you talk to the past owner you can do a transfer of MMSI numbers though BoatUS.

Now a Garmin AIS 600 is only a receiver so there is no programing!

Sorry, but the Garmin AIS 600 is most definitely a transceiver that both receives and transmits AIS position data. It is controlled by the connected chart plotter.

From Garmin's product page: "Add a new level of safety and convenience to your vessel with Garmin AIS 600. This black box AIS transceiver allows you to receive AIS target data as well as transmit your own vessel information to other AIS receivers in your area."

I neither have AIS (yet) nor am I remotely qualified to discuss it, but it doesn't seem to me that a picture of one's boat would aid someone in finding a boat broadcasting its location to the world on something called Automatic Identification System. What am I missing?

There is a school of thought among some cruisers that by transmitting AIS information, and especially if you have a pic associated with your AIS, unsavory characters can "window shop" from far away, or even on shore as to what boat they wish to go after. . . . I'm kind of on the fence on that, but I can see why I might want, at times, to receive AIS information, but not transmit MY AIS information . . . . although that practice may lead to less safety in the event that others in your area (who don't harbor ill will toward you) may not be able to see you unless they have radar, and know how to use it.

As I understand, AIS, VHF, RADAR are as good as the eyes can see. Cell phones depends on the 'station'. All are restricted by the height of the antenna. If you need look further , look at SSB, sat com.
I dont want folks to window shop for my fabulous American Tug soooo, upon recommendation, I have not posted a picture in the AIS transmitted information.
I do have a switch to shut off the 'transmission' part of my AIS. It may be a foolish decision upon my part but until the Feds mandate recreational boats have AIS, I want the ability to 'disappear'.

Headed to Texas - I will let Old Dan answer your question.

Thanks for the responses,
Bob

Dont look at me for THE answers, I am guessing.
The cabinet space behind the helm wheel is a great place to search.

Last edited:
The AIS seller discouraged me from including a picture of or too much information on my boat, for security reasons. He said there have been incidents where pleasure boats were tracked and stolen by unsavory people. Having a picture might make it too easy to find and identify your boat.

It's not uncommon for someone who has taken a picture of your boat -- perhaps as you were passing by -- to upload that picture to MarineTraffic.com (or equivalent).

FCC is (and has always been) the issuing authority for MMSIs. The BoatUS thing is a courtesy they've allowed.

-Chris

It's not uncommon for someone who has taken a picture of your boat -- perhaps as you were passing by -- to upload that picture to MarineTraffic.com (or equivalent).

FCC is (and has always been) the issuing authority for MMSIs. The BoatUS thing is a courtesy they've allowed.

-Chris

I Pic of my old boat showed up one day. It was taken as I was going though the Cape Cod Canal.

SeaTow did it to when DCS radios first came out. But was short lived if my memory is right.

There is a school of thought among some cruisers that by transmitting AIS information, and especially if you have a pic associated with your AIS, unsavory characters can "window shop" from far away, or even on shore as to what boat they wish to go after.

I dont want folks to window shop for my fabulous American Tug soooo, upon recommendation, I have not posted a picture in the AIS transmitted information.

That makes sense. Damn thieves! Thanks guys.

I do have a switch to shut off the 'transmission' part of my AIS. It may be a foolish decision upon my part but until the Feds mandate recreational boats have AIS, I want the ability to 'disappear'.

Excellent point there too. Thanks Dan.

Seems to me some folks (not referring to anyone in this thread) work overtime trying to give us still more stuff to worry about.

Our AIS is transmitting when underway; off at the dock to reduce congestion. We also have some pics of the boat on marine traffic posted by the PO.

I figure 99+% of the people who would access this information do so for benign purposes. I'm not sweating the rest.

Seems to me some folks (not referring to anyone in this thread) work overtime trying to give us still more stuff to worry about.

Agreed. Kind of like blurring the license plate out on pictures of their car...

Our AIS is transmitting when underway; off at the dock to reduce congestion. We also have some pics of the boat on marine traffic posted by the PO.

I figure 99+% of the people who would access this information do so for benign purposes. I'm not sweating the rest.

Yep!

AIS transmit

You don't mention if you have an NMEA backbone.

I believe you would need the backbone to have receive and have it show on your MFD.

The 600 is a transducer meaning it will transmit & receive but without the backbone and an antenna you will lose some of the benefits.

You also don't mention if your 1242 is an xsv model.

You mention going to Nova Scotia and I think that to be safe, this is my opinion based on what we carry to do the Loop. I'd think about adding Radar for fog as well as a sounder. The 1242, I believe, will work with a number of sounders.

You also might want to update your charts to Vision+ and g3, call Garmin to see if the 1242 will support g3 & Vision.

Also, not knowing where you are starting from Saunderstown is in both RI & NC, you might want to consider an autopilot and autorouting that would help you with keeping your boat in safe water (after you had put your boat characteristics in the MFD/chart).

As to the MMSI you can check (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/685370) here for the units documentation, under Accessories then Manuals. Depending on the PO you might be able to reprogram your MMSI number or you may need to return it to Garmin. The documentation in a PDF is searchable so once downloaded search for MMSI in the document.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Good luck with your cruise.

Nepidae -

Thanks for a response targeted to the question I originally asked.

The boat is kept in Newport, RI and the Saunderstown, RI where we live is just below the Jamestown bridge on the West passage of Narragansett Bay. I did not know there was a Saunderstown, NC.

She is pretty well equipped electronically but I feel very safe with the electronics currently onboard. Could there be upgrades = absolutely but for now I am okay. She has:

RADAR: Garmin
VHF: Two hand mikes with a Standard Horizon P2000
SATCOM: KVH TracPhone
SATTV: KVH TracVision 3
AUTOPILOT: Simrad AP26
GPS: 4 Garmin GPSMAP 1242 (do not believe it is an xsv model)
PLOTTER PROGRAM: Nobeltec
DEPTHSOUNDER: Garmin
COMPASS: Two Richie magnetic

All the above currently communicate well through a backbone.

I currently do not transmit on AIS from my boat and after spending too much time reading the Garmin chart plotter manual I have not been able to figure out if I can turn the AIS transmit function ON / OFF from the GPSMAP touch screens. I have also tried to ask the question of Garmin Support but that has not provided many answers. I do have the FCC issued MMSI license from PO. If it can't be turned ON/OFF from GPMAP and I do not believe I have seen a manual switch connected to the AIS 600, then I need to try to program the AIS 600, That is once I can locate where it is on the boat. Believe it could be behind the chart plotters so next warm day in NE I will take a look.

Again i appreciate your response - Thank You,
Bob

I think I mentioned, my AIS has a separate physical switch that will shut off the transmit part of the AIS.
Yes, I can still be found on RADAR but 'who am I', on the RADAR.

As it was pointed out, I have a pic of my boat displayed here PLUS other information about my boat posted here. I'm not sure if the average thief knows of this forum or will take the time to do the research. They generally just want to know, where is this 'beautiful, unidentified, mysterious boat and, is it worthwhile stealing.'
WINK WINK Little do the thieve know, I use gold bars for ballast. LOL Shhhhhure.

Last edited:
Nepidae -

I currently do not transmit on AIS from my boat and after spending too much time reading the Garmin chart plotter manual I have not been able to figure out if I can turn the AIS transmit function ON / OFF from the GPSMAP touch screens. I have also tried to ask the question of Garmin Support but that has not provided many answers. I do have the FCC issued MMSI license from PO. If it can't be turned ON/OFF from GPMAP and I do not believe I have seen a manual switch connected to the AIS 600, then I need to try to program the AIS 600, That is once I can locate where it is on the boat. Believe it could be behind the chart plotters so next warm day in NE I will take a look.

Again i appreciate your response - Thank You,
Bob

I don’t believe there is a Garmin transmit on/off switch, hardware or software. Others here have said they have added one, for their own reasons.
You must have a configuration or network error somewhere. Just a guess.

If there is no MMSI assigned it won’t transmit.
If there was one assigned you can not change it (maybe Garmin or the dealer can)

Installation manual

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/AIS_600_Instructions_EN.pdf

Manual states you need to set it up with it connected to a PC and using included cable and setup software from an included CDROM - might want to think of a newer B+ AIS!

Last edited:
Sorry for the miss information. I had the Garmin AIS 300. I was confused on the model numbers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom