View Single Post
Old 02-16-2022, 11:17 AM   #18
Marco Flamingo
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
Puget Sound is easily explored (and too busy). Desolation and the Broughtons are fine (although too busy in the summer). I bought this boat to go "halfway" to Alaska.

A lot of people in Seattle buy a boat to cruise to Alaska. I think the Alaska goal may have become a tradition because of the Seattle fishing fleet, now largely extinct. Travelling to Alaska became a "thing" because the fishing fleet didn't have licenses to fish in Canada. They had to beat to AK in the spring, then turn tail and get back to Seattle in the fall. But when I look at a chart I see Cape Caution as the gateway to a lifetime of exploration without ever bothering to make it too Alaska. In fact, many of the passages to Alaska look boring compared to the northern B.C. islets and gunkholes. There is more than a summer's worth of boating between Calvert Island and Bella Bella. No need to slog on to Alaska with the ferries and cruise ships.

Overall, Covid was probably a good thing for my boating plans. It made me cool my jets. I've now had a chance to go through the boat in detail that I would not have done had I been able to get across the border last year. I spent a lot of time (and some money) getting things right or at least better. I have a much better understanding of the boat. Now I'm chomping at the bit again.