View Single Post
Old 02-15-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
tpfbdf
Veteran Member

City: Maitland
Why did you buy your boat?

Why did you buy your boat?

The recent posting titled “why are you selling your boat” got me re-thinking… about buying… and why people buy. You see… I’ve been dreaming of owning a boat since I was old enough to dream of owning a ‘60s muscle car. While other teenagers had subscriptions to Sport’s Illustrated, Motor Trend, etc. … I had a subscription to Motor Boating and Sailing! LOL!

Well… with a great wife (who loves boats) and kids in college… we seriously started the big boat search (think older trawler 36’-38’ give or take) several years ago; traveling all over Florida to see boats. Then covid hit and prices skyrocketed. So we dialed things back. (fyi - Our budget is “tens of thousands” not “hundreds of thousands”… LOL!)

We did see a boat about a year ago that we should have at bought… or at least made an offer. It was a beautiful boat, well maintained, checked off most of the boxes, we hit it off with the owners. Unfortunately… we could only afford about half the asking price… so I hemmed and hawed… not wanting to offend. Well… I guess I was two “cautious.” And while I don’t believe it sold… and have reached out several times… I’ve not heard back. So I’m thinking that ship has sailed. My mistake. (Well… live and learn… better to “offend” with a low offer than to have offended and have no clue how.)

Which leads to my question. How did you decide to make that most irrational of financial decisions to buy a boat? What was that final “thing” (or multiple “things”) that motivated you to bite the bullet, make that leap, take the plunge, throw caution to the wind, etc. …?

I’m looking for motivation and words of wisdom!

Peace - Pete
tpfbdf is offline   Reply With Quote