Old 02-15-2022, 10:13 AM   #20
ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
When you look at the current offerings in MFD's, compare them to the first generation of color Chart Plotters and then compare them with functionality of a tablet running navigation software, it is pretty evident to me that tablet based navigation is the future for the recreational market.
I like having tablets as backup, but can't say it's clear to me that's "the future." Too many things not solved yet (direct sunlight visibility, heat, etc.), too fragile (in case some dufus like me drops the thing), and too dependent on wireless technologies for sensor connections. Perhaps solvable, but I dunno that the recreational marine market is big enough to drive those solutions quickly.

But maybe. Like I said, just not obvious to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
As for useful vs glitz, I think AIS definitely goes on the Useful list. Same with the DSC distress function in VHFs. DSC calling, on the other hand, I think is a giant belly flop.
Ah. Forgot those, thanks. I agree, AIS is nifty, DSC distress calling is nifty.

I find no value in DSC calling. (Don't know anybody I'd want to call that way. Not sure I know anyone local who knows how to use it, anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
In practice, I never bother to chase "radio fish".
We have those around here, too. Haven't ever found a useful recipe for 'em.

-Chris