Looking for our 1st trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyavater324

Vessel Name
Mutiny II
Vessel Make
Henriques SF
Hello, Looking for any thgts, tips, opinions for our first trawler. The perfect boat in my mind so far, is 1 that makes dollar bills each time the wheel turns, makes more fuel than it burns and of course has enough deck for a 90 lb dog, feels like a 120’ boat but handles like a 14’ skiff with twin 125s. Lol What’s the best boat for us. Budget is in the $250k range. Thx.
Al

Welcome aboard. I would start with a must have and must not have list. Good luck with your search.

Hello, Looking for any thgts, tips, opinions for our first trawler. The perfect boat in my mind so far, is 1 that makes dollar bills each time the wheel turns, makes more fuel than it burns and of course has enough deck for a 90 lb dog, feels like a 120’ boat but handles like a 14’ skiff with twin 125s. Lol What’s the best boat for us. Budget is in the $250k range. Thx.
Al

Not so sure I wouldn't keep the boat you have in your profile.

More living space on many trawlers, but would have way more fun on what you have.

Without knowing more of your likes, dislikes, wants and needs...hard to give much advice.

Have you tried cruising in your Henriques? What are its stortcomings and strengths? I would start from there and definitely not limit you search to "trawlers" as the term has no consistent definition in the recreational boater world.

While looking salty, many trawlers are pretty rolly sea boats unless some sort of stabilization is added.

Yes, the Henriques is quite the vessel! I have fished bluefin in 10-12 footers and never thgt twice bout her. She has the 480ce motors and does quite nice at 7 kts trolling. Maybe 3 gph. BUT.. She doesn’t have the nice bedroom, salon, etc. She does have dual A/C’s, full head and a small galley, a descent but quaint salon. I have the entire salon floor out of her right now, replacing it. I guess I could spend a few bucks and make a nicer salon. However… My intentions are to still work her 6 mos a yr, which my wife mates, and then go cruising. You guys have given me something to consider. Thx for all the replies.

you realize you may be asking the wrong people? For a cruising boat, your wife/significant other will almost certainly have a strong opinion about layout, appointments and ease of handling mate/admiral duties plus boarding/disembarking. You may find those concerns oppose some of your initial selections. Ignore these concerns at your peril.

Yes, the Henriques is quite the vessel! I have fished bluefin in 10-12 footers and never thgt twice bout her. She has the 480ce motors and does quite nice at 7 kts trolling. Maybe 3 gph. BUT.. She doesn’t have the nice bedroom, salon, etc. She does have dual A/C’s, full head and a small galley, a descent but quaint salon.

We "trawlered" for about 15 years in a 42' convertible (450Cs) much like yours. Island queen berth in the bow, and split head and shower, decent galley, saloon, and dinette helped. Fully enclosed flybridge also helped, since we use that a lot for social space.

Only changed boats this last year...

-Chris

I’m really starting to re-think the “trawler” thing. My boat is more of a nice work boat, but we have “lived” on it for a couple weeks at a time. ( me and the boys ) when we winter fished. Thx for the feedback!

Al,
In my opinion, you need to first start with the question: "how do you plan to use the boat"? For example, just the two of you or lots of guests often, short trips on weekends or out for months at a time, long passages, or shorter distances, marina to marina or lots of time at anchor, etc, etc.

From that info, what are the must haves, the nice to haves, and just as importantly the DO NOT WANT features on a boat as you see them. EG. for me, do not want included flybridge, twin engines, screwed down teak decks, and lots of exterior woodwork. We all have our own reasons for these things. Others will have different opinions, and there really is no right or wrong, just what works for how you plan to use the boat and your own experiences so far.

It is unlikely that you will find a boat that meets all of your wants, nice to have, and don't wants, and you and your wife will probably have to compromise on some things, but the advice about "keeping the Admiral happy" is something to keep in mind.
For us, some good boats ("trawler like") were American Tug, Nordic Tug, Helmsman, etc. Our NT 37 could run at 7-8 knots and burn 2 gallons per hour and was a very comfortable boat for a couple with occasional guests. It was very seaworthy, well built, and easy to operate and maintain (relatively), but it is definitely not an "off shore" boat. It was very capable for short periods in the open ocean as long as you were careful with weather and sea state. For example, many of these boats travel from the Puget sound area to Alaska and back with no major problems, requiring periods of open ocean travelling. They are semi-displacement and are capable of up to about 14 knots if desired or needed. This allows for increasing speed when helpful in some sea conditions such as following seas on the quarter, allowing for some "smoothing of the ride" for comfort.
Anyway, good luck in your search, and with your budget, you should be able to find some decent boats.

Since we’ll be keeping the work boat, low maintenance is prob highest on the list. We want to spend 6+ mos on the new boat. Since we venture up to 50 miles from shore during the summer, we’re not needing to cross the pond. But, we do want to spend several days to a week W/o having to hook up a shore cord. Looking at boats with stabilisers & solar. Don’t know N E thing about those! Lol But with input from folks like you, we’ll get a short list. Right now we’ve got our eye on a 58 Defever. Just THINKING about it?? Thx for you thgts..
Al

Back
Top Bottom