View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 01:35 PM   #51
kthoennes
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I never have quite understood the aversion to cruising based on disease exposure. Now crowds on the other hand, or frankly gross behavior on especially lower-end, high-volume cruise ships, being treated like cattle, obnoxious passenger behavior -- all that I get as aversions. But I'm sure we've all seen incredibly gross behavior on long haul flights, and to me air travel has always been far more disgusting, pre- or post-pandemic. I know I'm living in a state that almost never closed or disrupted anything so my perspective is skewed, but state fairs, major sports events, air travel, the subway in any major city, public bathrooms, 500 people groping the fruit in supermarkets (ironically and comically wearing masks), gas pump handles -- they're all potentially disgusting exposures. I've just never understood why cruise ships seem to trigger so much germ aversion when so many other things are just as gross, if not worse, and in confined spaces. But then risk perception is often highly subjective.

It's certainly something the cruise lines are going to have to overcome or address though, if they ever do hope to recover.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote