Whine Cellar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captrigney

Vessel Name
Meander
Vessel Make
1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
I hear a high pitch whine in my aft cabin that seems to be from my starboard shaft. It goes away at certain RPM's. Could this be from a cutlass bearing asking for replacement?

No idea on the tech side, but have have you tried pouring a little full bodied red over it? BruceK

A whine might be a "singing" propeller. One cure is to dull the trailing edges of the blades down s bit with a file. The singing is a high-frequency vibration caused, I believe. by the water flow coming off the prop.

Transmissions can whine, too, and it's not always the sign of a problem.

Transmissions can whine, too, and it's not always the sign of a problem.

I have an SUV with 250,000 miles on it and it has had a whine in the differential all the while. It all depends on how the gears mesh and a whine is not always an indicator of trouble to come.

Thanks for the info on prop singing. Searching for that in the forum has brought up lots of hits.

When MY Twin Disc 506 was low on oil it wined.

Sd

We are getting a whine on the port side in the shaft packing / transmission area when we shift into neutral. It stops whining when the prop stops spinning. I sure hope it is nothing but we are having it looked at next week.

So you have a port whine? :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom