2022 cruising, So Where are You Going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Your half loop back flip sounds fun too. Maybe we should do it. :D

I think most likely 2C but could morph into 3. Probably a very fast run at the Gulf Coast and wait on the rivers until our next loop. :)

I think there's a lot to be said for half looping from the top like you, getting the great lakes and then other times go in from the other end and cover the lakes and rivers. It creates more manageable half loops but doesn't get your boat stuck in ice world for the winter. :D

For any who think they can't do the loop because they won't fit under 19'6" (up from 19'1"), let me point out this as an option. At normal pool, you can do the Erie and Oswego with up to 21'4" and go all the way on all the Great Lakes. You have no major bridge issues south of Chicago either. So if you're between 19' and 21', you could do an OCDiver plan and enjoy have the loop, then another year to an Australian plan (go down under) and enjoy the other half. :lol:

While I immensely enjoyed the Great Loop, early on I figured out that the Loop was an exotic buffet. You make a trip around and put as many different interesting things on your plate as time allows. The second trip allows you to bypass some, not go all the way around, try a few you may have overlooked, and obviously come back for a few favorites.

From a couple of tee shirts I purchased. " There are 5 Great Lakes, only one is Superior. The Lake is calling, I must go".

While it would be a tough slog up current with my boat, I would like to go back up the Tennessee Tombigbee. Would like to do the Ohio, Allegheny, and Monongahela rivers (over 2,500 miles round trip). Then the Tennessee river to Knoxville. If time permits, maybe some of the tributaries.

Time to get back to boat projects.

Ted

Depart Liberty Landing Marina April 1st ish, to Half Moon Bay Marina for about six weeks (May 15th). Then in Limbo until the Erie and Champlain Canals open, scheduled for May 20th. A little nervous about the locks especially if they are crowded. Then up the Champlain Canal to Lake Champlain for the summer. If all works to plan we should be on the lake for Memorial Day.

New to us budget trawler, just hoping we don't run into any problems on the way to the lake.

We work full-time so trying to do this around work schedules also.

Depart Liberty Landing Marina April 1st ish, to Half Moon Bay Marina for about six weeks (May 15th). Then in Limbo until the Erie and Champlain Canals open, scheduled for May 20th. A little nervous about the locks especially if they are crowded. Then up the Champlain Canal to Lake Champlain for the summer. If all works to plan we should be on the lake for Memorial Day.

New to us budget trawler, just hoping we don't run into any problems on the way to the lake.

Very early in the season the locks on the Erie will be busier, but once you get past the initial rush it's pretty quiet. Most of the times we've traveled on the canals so far, we've been alone in the majority of the locks. As far as doing the locks, once you get through the first 1 or 2, you'll start to get a feel for it and what works best for your boat. If you've got a good fender setup, 2 crew, and are able to adapt to different line / cable / pipe setups in the locks, you'll do just fine. If you've got 3 crew it starts to feel like cheating, as the helmsman just gets to sit there and watch most of the time once you're in position.

Very early in the season the locks on the Erie will be busier, but once you get past the initial rush it's pretty quiet. Most of the times we've traveled on the canals so far, we've been alone in the majority of the locks. As far as doing the locks, once you get through the first 1 or 2, you'll start to get a feel for it and what works best for your boat. If you've got a good fender setup, 2 crew, and are able to adapt to different line / cable / pipe setups in the locks, you'll do just fine. If you've got 3 crew it starts to feel like cheating, as the helmsman just gets to sit there and watch most of the time once you're in position.

That's a good point, the Champlain canal will probably have less traffic on it. I don't think I'll have a problem getting unskilled crew(friends) to get up the Champlain canal, I could pick them up at the Troy Marina, it's only about 40 minutes from our home town.

I plan on some sizable fenders. Should I dare ask... what is the preferable fender shape for locking? The big round ones or the cylinder shape?

That's a good point, the Champlain canal will probably have less traffic on it. I don't think I'll have a problem getting unskilled crew(friends) to get up the Champlain canal, I could pick them up at the Troy Marina, it's only about 40 minutes from our home town.

I plan on some sizable fenders. Should I dare ask... what is the preferable fender shape for locking? The big round ones or the cylinder shape?

Personally I prefer round ones, as they slide well on rough lock walls if you get pressed against them. And using separate fenders for locking and tying to concrete walls keeps my regular set from getting filthy (and tearing up the covers, which I don't use on the balls).

I generally go for a large ball (18") right at the stern corner and one further forward, just above the water. And then 3 or 4 small balls (12") along the side tucked just under the gunwale. That works with no adjustment for locks where they fill very close to the top (the big balls protect you at that point, the small ones do most of the work when you're down lower). Works well for tying to walls overnight as well, although I tend to lower one of the small balls in the middle to just meet the top of the wall if it's a low one.

The round fenders can also be deflated for easier storage between trips that require them.

Champlain locks are easier with much less lift and on average better protection from winds. I went up in late June and back in early September. With the exception of maybe 3 lockings, I was the only boat in the lock. The Troy lock had a few boats, but that's a much larger lock. It seems like you've gone the wrong way after Waterford as all the traffic has turned to port for the Erie canal.

Fender balls are my preference for locking, the bigger the better. Some of the lock walls have larger pot holes in the concrete. Bigger balls more easily pass over them. The pot holes are easy to avoid locking up as you can see them when picking your spot. Locking down, they seem to rise out of the water.

Ted

Two months in the Bahamas this summer, early June through early August. Plan is to cross to the Abacos, pretty quickly work our way south along the usual route or cut through the Bight of Abaco and pop out at Sandy Point. Then cross to Spanish Wells, and from there work our way south along Eleuthera or cross to the Exumas. Spend some time in the more northern Exumas, then cross to the Berrys. Spend a little time in the Berrys, then from there to West End, then West End home.

Weather permitting, of course.

While it would be a tough slog up current with my boat, I would like to go back up the Tennessee Tombigbee. Would like to do the Ohio, Allegheny, and Monongahela rivers (over 2,500 miles round trip). Then the Tennessee river to Knoxville. If time permits, maybe some of the tributaries.

Time to get back to boat projects.

Ted

Lessee here, up the TennTom three times and down twice now all in trawler speed boats, and I would have to say it's a bit easier coming south but not greatly so. With ten locks over 450+ miles, the current never gets too fast except near a dam which is relaesing recent rain water. I'd say to expect average of a 1.0-1.5 MPH head current. Leaving a lock heading upstream usually sees almost zero head current gradually increasing as you near the next lock. BUT, then there was the time I exited the Demopolis lock making turns for 8 knots doing around 12, but then there had been a big storm and the water was literally roaring through the adjacent spillway. An hour later we were down to below 9 knots.

Something about those friendly inland marinas and their unique collection of "marina cars." Never see borrow cars anywhere else, but they can indeed be an adventure!

The locks are likely much easier than you imagine. Wife and I had no issue in the Champlain canal on our very new to us boat we purchased in VT. First power boat after many years off from sailing. If we can do it, anyone should be able to. We found the locks very uncrowded, often the only boat in them. Very easy to just grab a line and enjoy the ride up and down and admire the engineering feat from early 1800's. Suggest you have some good sized and sturdy fenders (leave the fancy covers off) as well as some work gloves for both of you. Lock masters are also very helpful. Any other questions, please ask. (Sorry, don't know why most pics are sideways when uploaded)

Attachments

• 20190613_110445.jpg
    20190613_110445.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190613_135501.jpg
    20190613_135501.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190613_135701.jpg
    20190613_135701.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190614_105108.jpg
    20190614_105108.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190614_112135.jpg
    20190614_112135.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190613_115957.jpg
    20190613_115957.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190614_111951.jpg
    20190614_111951.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190503_141928.jpg
    20190503_141928.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190503_141946.jpg
    20190503_141946.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

The biggest threat to a budget trawler will be the price of a slip at Liberty Landing. First class accomdations, but you certainly pay for it. Location, location, location! Good news is you can ferry into lower Manhattan from there. I can recommend some good restaurant/bars in historic old NY if interested.

Circumnavigator. You’re right of course. But the great thing about being a cruiser is the absence of schedules beyond rough plans and the absence of fixed destinations.

Know NS from motorcycle touring. Done Evangeline, Cabot and lighthouse trails in the past. Also thought about having Covey Island build us a boat so have spent time in Ludendburg. That trip will be a straight shot except maybe a stop in Washington county. And again in P’town. Just really want to spend time buddy boating in the Lake. Think we can do it it time allowed or make up time by skipping the Hudson. Real requirement is to miss another New England winter.
Went R.I. to Deltaville in 2 days so think we can do the reverse in time allotted. Think we can vary time in the Hudson and Chesapeake depending upon how much we enjoy it. Posted the above as a rough. In the past a days work was ~170nm with rare 200nm. Now I know a 240nm days work is very feasible without difficulty. A whole new level of freedom. Think this is the huge advantage of SD boats.

BC, SE Alaska, and Prince William Sound. At least that's the plan. We will see what becomes reality....

Hopefully Still the One will be ready to splash in mid April and plans are to finish outfitting and provisioning and to head north from Oriental, NC around the 1st of May, (likely single handed, but no schedule like the run from Florida in the spring:facepalm:) and heading for our home state of Maine for the summer. Planning to work the bugs out and update some systems before Looping in 2023. Hopefully we can meet Hippocampus up here as apparently we have much in common including motorcycle touring. Hopefully can also put the face to a name with many of you, and visit Capt. Tom. Officially retired but finishing pool shifts because we're so shorthanded and burnt out, I'll be officially free 2/19 and flying to NC.:dance:

BC and SE Alaska. Hoping for more normal relaxed cruising this year.

Fenders in Locks:

Rather than subject Fintry's fenders to the 40 lockings on our Great Lakes trip in 2018, we used a suggestion from the Great Lakes Cruising Club. Buy 4x4s and cut them to four feet, with a hole in one end to take a line and hang them vertically over the side.

Since Fintry has an 8" rubber rub rail all around, all we need them for was to protect the rub rail, so we left them as naked wood. The GLCC suggested that they be covered in canvas which would certainly be easy.

Jim

That last post gives me a thought. I just added things up, and since purchasing them, our current set of ball fenders has done a total of 66 lockages (plus somewhere around 20 overnights against walls). They've got some staining that I haven't really tried to remove (beyond just cleaning the grime off), but other than that, they're still in as-new condition.

Jim,

Appreciate the heads up on closed Nexus ports. Was aware or the testing requirements, but having to find an open entry point may be a little more difficult.

Ted

Rapid PCR testing may also be scarce, depending on where you are. They are available around international airports and busy land crossings.

Ted, Did you consider going through Montreal to Ottawa? It's a bit of a variation from the up and back on the Rideau.

Since we sold Willy the trawler, trawler cruising is over.

But there’s other ways of getting around.
We have several small OB boats and a small motor home.
Probably will take the motor home up Vancouver Is.

Since we sold Willy the trawler, trawler cruising is over.

But there’s other ways of getting around.
We have several small OB boats and a small motor home.
Probably will take the motor home up Vancouver Is.

And you have many anchors.

Rapid PCR testing may also be scarce, depending on where you are. They are available around international airports and busy land crossings.

Ted, Did you consider going through Montreal to Ottawa? It's a bit of a variation from the up and back on the Rideau.
In 2020 I was planning on going Erie canal to Oswego to Kingston to Ottawa to Sorel Tracy and down to Lake Champlain. Going counter clockwise is a lot more cruising against the current. Also, as Montreal and Ottawa are in different provinces, I would need to clear Covid testing for both Quebec and Ontario, from what I understand.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. OC. You are correct about the currents. I'm not sure about needing Covid testing if going from Quebec to Ontario or vice-versa BUT entering either province from the US you probably DO need some form of health "certification".

Things appear to be in a constant state of flux at the moment so it's difficult to predict WHAT will be going on in 2-4 months....

Greetings,
Mr. OC. You are correct about the currents. I'm not sure about needing Covid testing if going from Quebec to Ontario or vice-versa BUT entering either province from the US you probably DO need some form of health "certification".

Things appear to be in a constant state of flux at the moment so it's difficult to predict WHAT will be going on in 2-4 months....

Yes, from what I understand, I will need to get tested (probably in Oswego) and then clear customs in Kingston within 3 days, starting the day after the test. Was planning on a one day stop in Oswego to get the test and cross Lake Ontario the next day. Then there's the issue of the weather.....:rolleyes:

Ted

backinblue. Please go back and edit your photos, there is one that is not turned and I had to straighten my head.

backinblue. Please go back and edit your photos, there is one that is not turned and I had to straighten my head.

I don't know how to turn them once they are posted, but if someone can tell me how I'll be happy to. The look fine when I view them on my laptop before I post them. Don't know why they rotate 90 degrees sometimes.

Last edited:
Yes, from what I understand, I will need to get tested (probably in Oswego) and then clear customs in Kingston within 3 days, starting the day after the test. Was planning on a one day stop in Oswego to get the test and cross Lake Ontario the next day. Then there's the issue of the weather.....:rolleyes:

Ted

That weather thing is definitely an issue... So far in several trips over the last few years, every time we've planned to depart Oswego onto the lake we've ended up waiting an extra day for weather. The intended departure day has always varied between "I don't want to run in that for that long" and "it would be stupid to run in that".

Hopefully, the west coast of FL (via the Okeechobee Waterway) and up to Tarpon Springs.

That weather thing is definitely an issue... So far in several trips over the last few years, every time we've planned to depart Oswego onto the lake we've ended up waiting an extra day for weather. The intended departure day has always varied between "I don't want to run in that for that long" and "it would be stupid to run in that".

When we reached Oswego, Lake Ontario was 12' seas so we also got an extra couple of days in Oswego, plus was extremely cold.

I was planning on hanging out on Oneida Lake or between Lock 7 and 8 till I had a window to go. Then get my test, and cross the lake the next day.

Ted

I was planning on hanging out on Oneida Lake or between Lock 7 and 8 till I had a window to go. Then get my test, and cross the lake the next day.

Ted

That spot between 7 and 8 is the best spot to be in Oswego in my mind. Easy enough walk to most places nearby (including getting onto the outer most bridge for a better view of lake conditions). Only 1 lock to get out (so more protected than being down in the harbor) and it's free. If you haven't stopped in Phoenix at the bottom of the Oswego Canal, that's a good spot as well. Not a lot there, but the people are friendly, good docks, etc.

Sounds wonderful!

We’ll be heading down to FL in the land trawler for March.
No plans yet for trips on the water. Too many friends from far away coming to visit us this summer.

But maybe…..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom