trawler for sport fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For any kind of serious fishing (not salmon, ling cod and those other wet socks they call fish in CERTAIN areas of the world ;-)) you will need a cockpit, not an aft cabin style boat.

Hey wait a minute! I have had some pretty good battles with those wet socks type of fish!:rolleyes:

my chung wha has both a nice aft cabin and a lower copit Fishes just fine for us no problem trolling

Attachments

• Mike+Walters+007  me new boat.jpg
    Mike+Walters+007 me new boat.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hey wait a minute! I have had some pretty good battles with those wet socks type of fish!:rolleyes:

When I fished a lot in Hawaii the fish we most wanted were mahi mahi and ahi (yellowfin tuna) because they brought the highest prices at the fish auction. I've reeled in a fair number of ahi, a fish that can get up over 200 pounds although most of the ones we caught were in the 100-200 pound range.

After moving here and starting to fish for halibut up the north end of Vancouver Island I found that catching a big halibut is not unlike catching an ahi. Halibut don't fight in the sense of making fast dashes but, like ahi, they are amazingly strong. Ahi don't fight on the surface but go deep, thus forcing you to winch them up. And nine times out of ten, when they get near the surface and perhaps see the boat, they go back down and take all that hard-won line back down with them.

A big halibut will do the same thing. It's like winching up a dead weight until they decide to make a run at which point they take all the line you just retrieved, and sometimes more, back out again. When you get them up to the surface the smaller ones are usually pretty pooped but a big one can do the same thing as the ahi and head for the bottom again and you have to start all over.

Take it from a master fisherman...... see pic.

Go with a 'sedan' style trawler. :thumb:

561238_480407025302905_1948415530_n.jpg

Trawlers are great fishing boats with the walk around decks, but it depends on the type of fishing. If your mouching, spincasting, fishing for Lingcod, cabazon, halibut, crabbing they are very stable all weather platforms.

I would love to have downriggers for salmon fishing, but to date I haven't found an acceptable mount that would fit on my boat and not look like s#*'!. So that duty falls to the 14 foot Smokercraft. There are just some types of fishing that require a slightly different approach. :socool:
LB

Trawlers are great fishing boats with the walk around decks, but it depends on the type of fishing. If your mouching, spincasting, fishing for Lingcod, cabazon, halibut, crabbing they are very stable all weather platforms.

Too bad I don't fish.

232323232%7Ffp73438%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A33693336nu0mrj

See how good a fisherman I am? I figured I would catch Marin first, but being the wise, grizzled, lunker he is, he didn't bite. But I did catch Alaskan!

Larry,

Thanks for helping out a fellow Floridian. Wet socks, ahi, cabazon...never heard of them. I had no idea we were still talking about fishing. Now, catchiing King Mackeral, Wahoo, Grouper, Yellow Tail Snapper (yum), Dolphin (ok, Mahi-Mahi), now that's fishin'.

By the way, the picture of me with a Dolphin was caught on my 34' Californian LRC. Now,...is that an aft deck or a cockpit? Hmmmmm...... Oh well, enough room to bag that Dolphin.

Karl

Attachments

• DOLPHIN.jpg
    DOLPHIN.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 108
Larry, my mistake, for some reason I thought you were in SE Florida until I checked out your profile. You're in the reals tropics compared to the sub-tropics where I am. Karl

See how good a fisherman I am? I figured I would catch Marin first, but being the wise, grizzled, lunker he is, he didn't bite. But I did catch Alaskan!

Fish on!!!!! Yep you did!

:D With the exception of Karl-FL, it seems that you have to live in the PNW to fish.

I will have to say it is warmer farther south!!!:whistling:

For all you who fish.

I had a fellow working for me.
As he did his papers for his masters. On what spoils fish.

The first thing to do when you catch a fish that you are going to keep is.

Get the Gills out.

This is where all the bacteria that will spoil a fish comes from. This also serves to bleed the fish.

When the guys catch the copper river reds that sell for $25.00 a pound that is one of the first things done.

Sd

Nice Dolphin, Karl. A fish that jumps! And runs out line! And isn't gray! And doesn't live under a freezing cold rock!

For all you who fish.

I had a fellow working for me.
As he did his papers for his masters. On what spoils fish.

The first thing to do when you catch a fish that you are going to keep is.

Get the Gills out.

This is where all the bacteria that will spoil a fish comes from. This also serves to bleed the fi

When the guys catch the copper river reds that sell for $25.00 a pound that is one of the first things done.

Sd
I've been bleeding my redfish recently, it really does help. This is a great tip, I'd never heard that about spoiling.

Except for the summers when I'm in the cruising mode, I fish year 'round in my 34 Californian LRC. I bought the sedan trawler as a good fishing platform, yet suitable for family cruising. I wanted something with good accommodations, a fishable cockpit and wide side decks to allow me to walk all around the boat with a fish on the line and o barriers. This boat has filled the bill.

We typically head out with 3-4 anglers for day trips, 2-3 for overnights in the CA Delta chasing stripers and sturgeon. Unfortunately, trolling in the shallow waters of the delta is a bit cumbersome for the captain with this boat (all driving and no fishing!), so I limit it to anchor fishing or drifting. Open water trolling on the autopilot would be much easier, but I have not passed the Golden Gate with her yet. Next year, I'll take her up to Sacramento for a couple months for the fall salmon run.

Love the sedan layout, but the wide side decks come at the expense of salon width. My 12.4 beam only allows a 10.0 cabin width, but I get by!

img_107506_0_165ab060e84b723577e40669f542b4c0.jpg

img_107506_1_dfa421e80f4a79a7765d47a459f4c1b0.jpg

img_107506_2_66c19d06305a445ba1483f9f648ed197.jpg

... but I have not passed the Golden Gate with her yet. Next year, I'll take her up to Sacramento for a couple months for the fall salmon run.

Love the sedan layout, but the wide side decks come at the expense of salon width. My 12.4 beam only allows a 10.0 cabin width, but I get by!

What's holding you back, Al?

img_107520_0_a7cdc2cc949a09b2b738c3f90251f6af.jpg

And your saloon is plenty wide. (But when are you getting one of your saloon tables fixed? ... Never seen a man move so fast. ... Am awaiting your photo/journal account, on a new thread, of last week's SF adventure.)

What's holding you back, Al?

And your saloon is plenty wide. (But when are you getting one of your saloon tables fixed? ... Never seen a man move so fast. ... Am awaiting your photo/journal account, on a new thread, of last week's SF adventure.)

Three things are holding me back: 1. time, 2. experience and 3. courage!!

What a great week it was!! The write-up is coming. Since I've been home, I've been buried with work and getting my new laptop up and running. Finally got the pics loaded tonight.

I ordered 2 new table bases (1 spare) and a couple shiny new table legs yesterday. ;-) Tomorrow I start fashioning a custom fridge anchoring bracket.

Three things are holding me back: 1. time, 2. experience and 3. courage!!

Your retirement is quite soon, and I'll volunteer to buddy-boat. (In the sixties I was as far as 12 miles out to the lightship, now a big-buoy, in a 28-foot sailboat). So, there shouldn't be any excuses. But need to plan weather-wise. The autumn season is best, or a calm winter-window, but tidal currents need to be considered too.

Don't plan on using your flybridge.

Last edited:
I sure can see how the sedan would be an advantage. I'll need to weigh that against wanting a rear master cabin. Looks like a direct tradeoff to have a sedan or a 2 cabin boat.

I sure can see how the sedan would be an advantage. I'll need to weigh that against wanting a rear master cabin. Looks like a direct tradeoff to have a sedan or a 2 cabin boat.

The 34 Californian has 2 staterooms (fwd stateroom bunks and full size in master stateroom) and a separate shower.

The 38 Sedan LRC is a similar layout but everything is roomier. Maybe Per will post up some pics of his 38 Sedan.

img_107596_0_692815b94f284b7af51517c8e9df8af9.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom