2022 cruising, So Where are You Going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
2022 has arrived. If you're cruising this year, you probably have your plans already made. It could be a trip to Fort Pierce to the TF rendezvous, a couple of weeks on the St Johns river or the Great Loop. Always fun to hear about where people want to cruise and why.

I'm headed North April 1st. Heading up the Hudson to the Erie canal in May. Then up the Oswego canal across Lake Ontario to Kingston and up the Rideau canal to Ottawa. Back down the Rideau to Lake Ontario west to Trenton and then the Trent Severn canal to Georgian Bay and The North Channel. From there, summer in Lake Superior. Heading home through Lake Huron, St. Clair river, Lake St. Clair, Detroit river, Lake Erie, and the Erie canal to the Hudson River. Then back South crossing the Florida line by mid November. That's the plan anyway.

So where are you going?

Ted

We are still doing our 2021 cruise. We will be in Key West tomorrow. We are planning to go to the Dry Tortugas if the weather holds out.

We will then wander our way up the east coast back to our home port in NJ.

The Rideau canal is on our list, but I don't think it'll happen this year. We're working on planning a trip to meet up with friends in the Thousand Islands and cruise around that area and the east end of Lake Ontario for a few weeks. Not quite sure when in the summer we'll do it yet though. Anything else will probably just be long weekend trips around the south shore of Lake Ontario.

I am doing the Great Loop starting 6/1 leaving from Mount Hope Bay in MA. Going solo with my dog and I can't wait to get started.

Pursuit is presently in Melbourne, FL. Vero Beach next, then Fort Pierce and Stuart. Then back to see what we skipped and on to Cape Canaveral for summer storage.

Homer Alaska to Baja Mexico is on my agenda, with a couple of months of Prince William Sound to kick off the summer before heading down across the Gulf of Alaska to the Inside Passage. Planning to be in the San Diego area by November and then crossing the border, the plan is mostly the Pacific side of the Peninsula but I am sure I will make at least a brief excursion into the Sea of Cortez along the way.

What a year it's going to be!

I am doing the Great Loop starting 6/1 leaving from Mount Hope Bay in MA. Going solo with my dog and I can't wait to get started.

Excellent trip! Did it solo in 2017. What route are you taking through the Great Lakes and maybe Canada?

Ted

Homer Alaska to Baja Mexico is on my agenda, with a couple of months of Prince William Sound to kick off the summer before heading down across the Gulf of Alaska to the Inside Passage. Planning to be in the San Diego area by November and then crossing the border, the plan is mostly the Pacific side of the Peninsula but I am sure I will make at least a brief excursion into the Sea of Cortez along the way.

Wow! What do you think, 2 maybe 3 tanks a fuel? :rolleyes: That ought to be an amazing trip. What a selection of scenery along the way.

Ted

We would like to go to the North Channel but Canada is still an unknown. So if we can’t do the NC then we will do the Drummond Island area instead.

Two tanks from Anacortes coming North, hopefully I will have a "tailwind" going South and I will cruise slower once I make the Inside Passage. I bucked a mostly 1 knot current going North pretty much all of the way, it would be a blessing to have it from the same direction going the other way...

2022 has arrived. If you're cruising this year, you probably have your plans already made. It could be a trip to Fort Pierce to the TF rendezvous, a couple of weeks on the St Johns river or the Great Loop. Always fun to hear about where people want to cruise and why.

I'm headed North April 1st. Heading up the Hudson to the Erie canal in May. Then up the Oswego canal across Lake Ontario to Kingston and up the Rideau canal to Ottawa. Back down the Rideau to Lake Ontario west to Trenton and then the Trent Severn canal to Georgian Bay and The North Channel. From there, summer in Lake Superior. Heading home through Lake Huron, St. Clair river, Lake St. Clair, Detroit river, Lake Erie, and the Erie canal to the Hudson River. Then back South crossing the Florida line by mid November. That's the plan anyway.

So where are you going?

Ted

One helluva trip you got planned there Ted! I'm jealous, and prob will never get to do that or the Great Loop either.

Our cyclone season ends on 30 April, so sometime after that I can go out the Brisbane River, turn left and mosey north into various parts of the Great Barrier Reef. A couple of years back I almost reached the top of Cape York (a bit under 1500 nm) but this year I'll likely stay around the southern end. Plenty of interest there. Hopefully our coast will not be as cluttered with southerners this year as it was last year.
:hide:

Last edited:
Holding out for things to fall into place for a North Puget up to Glacier Bay trip for the summer where we will cruise - and work part time - in Gustavus. Hopefully in our own boat and not on the Alaska Marine Highway ferries lol. On the other hand, we also own an expedition kayak with a sail rig if we don’t close a deal in time :thumb:

Mostly local San Diego cruising and a trip or two to Catalina. Then October if all goes according to plan will join CUBAR headed to La Paz and Puerto Vallarta mid Nov.

same here. not sure I'll make all the way to my hometown of so cal. I am not in a hurry there is just so much to see in the pacific NW.

Saint Mandrier-sur-Mer, France > Italian coast > Corsica > More Italian coast to Reggio (i.e. the "toe") > Sicily > Malta. Leave the boat on land in Malta for the winter.

I'm heading north from Mobile in a few days. Hope to do the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers end to end, and arrive in Chicago in May, Ontario in June. Then go sailing for the summer.

We're planning to circumnavigate Newfoundland in Morning Light, including a two week Cruising Club of America cruise on the East Coast with the RNYC.

Best current information on entering Canada on a pleasure boat is that you have to have a negative PCR test done no more than 72 hours before you arrive at the check-in dock in Canada -- time taken from when you phone from the dock. Each province requires a separate check-in in person. That's expected to ease some by summer, but no guarantees. Note in 2019 there were eight or ten ports of entry in Nova Scotia -- now there are three. The same is probably true in other provinces.

Jim

Last edited:
Back to SEAK with stops in B.C. this year. Biting my tongue on fuel prices.

AKDoug hope to run into you on your way south.

Hey Ted - sounds like a great trip. Are you departing from your home port in Fort Myers?

We have been in Key West since Jan 7, depart later this week for Marathon and then slowly cruise north back to Sarasota. Then in the early fall we will head across Okeechobee and up the east coast to Hilton Head, Charleston and beyond before heading back south for two months in Key West next Jan / Feb ‘23.

So where are you going?

Ted

After she gets out of shed in Deltaville Va. meander around Chesapeake Bay. Then head to Naragansett Bay for installation of new flooring early/mid June. Then join friends to buddy boat and head up through Maine to Bras d’or. Then coastal hops over Maine, Ma, R.I. to though L.I. Sound and go up + down the Hudson for a few weeks until insurance allows us to go south. Then south to buddy boat with friends who own an Al one off. Will meet them in South Carolina or northern Florida. Then Bahamas for next winter. Next spring undecided but probably skip up east coast to be in R.I. by summer.
We know little about the maritimes having only done motorcycle touring. Have only used the Chesapeake as a starting point to go to the Caribbean. Have virtually no experience of the south east. Other than man of war cay and Georgetown being draft restricted not much of the Bahamas either. So being liberated by modest airdraft and a draft <5’ much to see and do. First trawler for us. Wife and I are excited by these new opportunities.

Last edited:
After she gets out of shed in Deltaville Va. meander around Chesapeake Bay. Then head to Naragansett Bay for installation of new flooring early/mid June. Then join friends to buddy boat and head up through Maine to Bras d’or. Then coastal hops over Maine, Ma, R.I. to though L.I. Sound and go up + down the Hudson for a few weeks until insurance allows us to go south. Then south to buddy boat with friends who own an Al one off. Will meet them in South Carolina or northern Florida. Then Bahamas for next winter. Next spring undecided but probably skip up east coast to be in R.I. by summer.
We know little about the maritimes having only done motorcycle touring. Have only used the Chesapeake as a starting point to go to the Caribbean. Have virtually no experience of the south east. Other than man of war cay and Georgetown being draft restricted not much of the Bahamas either. So being liberated by modest airdraft and a draft <5’ much to see and do. First trawler for us. Wife and I are excited by these new opportunities.

Ambitious. You might want to take a look at the charts. The trip you outline can certainly be done, but would leave little time for enjoying the various places unless you like to do straight shots. For example, it's a little over 500 miles from the Cape Cod Canal to St. Peters Canal, the southern entrance to the Bras d'Or. About 40% of that is a straight shot to Cape Sable, then you either keep going or day cruise. Day cruising will take you ten days to St. Peters. So, if you allow ten days to explore part of the Bras d'Or and the island, you'll be a month in Nova Scotia, without touching Maine. On Cape Breton Island, don't miss Louisbourg, the Cabot Trail, and the Bell Museum at Baddeck. On the way, both Shelburne and Lunenburg are great stops.

Incidentally, the photo of Fintry was taken just outside of Maskells Cove in Bras d'Or Lake.

Jim

Last edited:
Wifey B: Don't know, not sure, no idea, maybe here, maybe there, maybe some thinking out loud here - ok, I know it's not out loud, but the written equivalent. :lol:

Went briefly to Bahamas, but we have a daughter, topic of another thread in Harbor Chat, who is getting married next Saturday so we just had to spend all the time possible with her. So, thinking we'll leave March 1-March 10 or so. We have the following trips planned to choose from. :confused:

Option 1-This was our original plan. To the Caribbean, cruise 6 weeks, fly home 3, cruise 6, home 3, cruise 6 ending at home. That would take us from early March to late August. Just don't think it's Covid smart at this time though, so pretty much a "No".

Option 2-We've not cruised the East Coast extensively since 2018 and even then it was a trip geared toward getting us to Montreal by water. So, we'd like to spend time between Florida and Maine. Not sure how practical it is yet, but we do have some Covid cruising experience, having cruised Europe last year. Another problem, tooooooooo cold :oops: until at least April. :eek: But leaning strongly toward heading north for the summer. :) :thumb:

So, what till then or is there a better plan?

Option 2A-Just cruise locally and to Keys until April. Works fine. :)

Option 2B-Back to Bahamas for a month. Works fine. :)

Option 2C-Cruise the Gulf of Mexico prior to or instead of East Coast. Could do same type schedule as Option 1. Maybe even head up to the TN River. Oh, dagnabbit :censored: See what happened. I was all set on Option 2 and maybe just a month of the Gulf first but now there's 2C for a month

and there's

Option 3-Cruise the Gulf, 6 on 3 off 6 on 3 off 6 on including to the TN River, instead of the East Coast this year. Omg, so many places to go and so little time. :thumb::nonono::thumb::nonono::thumb:

Now see what you people did to me. :eek:

Wifey B: Don't know, not sure, no idea, maybe here, maybe there, maybe some thinking out loud here - ok, I know it's not out loud, but the written equivalent. [emoji38]

Went briefly to Bahamas, but we have a daughter, topic of another thread in Harbor Chat, who is getting married next Saturday so we just had to spend all the time possible with her. So, thinking we'll leave March 1-March 10 or so. We have the following trips planned to choose from. :confused:

Option 1-This was our original plan. To the Caribbean, cruise 6 weeks, fly home 3, cruise 6, home 3, cruise 6 ending at home. That would take us from early March to late August. Just don't think it's Covid smart at this time though, so pretty much a "No".

Option 2-We've not cruised the East Coast extensively since 2018 and even then it was a trip geared toward getting us to Montreal by water. So, we'd like to spend time between Florida and Maine. Not sure how practical it is yet, but we do have some Covid cruising experience, having cruised Europe last year. Another problem, tooooooooo cold :oops: until at least April. :eek: But leaning strongly toward heading north for the summer. :) :thumb:

So, what till then or is there a better plan?

Option 2A-Just cruise locally and to Keys until April. Works fine. :)

Option 2B-Back to Bahamas for a month. Works fine. :)

Option 2C-Cruise the Gulf of Mexico prior to or instead of East Coast. Could do same type schedule as Option 1. Maybe even head up to the TN River. Oh, dagnabbit :censored: See what happened. I was all set on Option 2 and maybe just a month of the Gulf first but now there's 2C for a month

and there's

Option 3-Cruise the Gulf, 6 on 3 off 6 on 3 off 6 on including to the TN River, instead of the East Coast this year. Omg, so many places to go and so little time. :thumb::nonono::thumb::nonono::thumb:

Well if we are lucky this year, Alaska may turn into shorts and tee shirt kind of weather....maybe....wishing

We're planning to circumnavigate Newfoundland in Morning Light, including a two week Cruising Club of America cruise on the East Coast with the RNYC.

Best current information on entering Canada on a pleasure boat is that you have to have a negative PCR test done no more than 72 hours before you arrive at the check-in dock in Canada -- time taken from when you phone from the dock. Each province requires a separate check-in in person. That's expected to ease some by summer, but no guarantees. Note in 2019 there were eight or ten ports of entry in Nova Scotia -- now there are three. The same is probably true in other provinces.

Jim

Jim,

Appreciate the heads up on closed Nexus ports. Was aware or the testing requirements, but having to find an open entry point may be a little more difficult.

Ted

Hey Ted - sounds like a great trip. Are you departing from your home port in Fort Myers?

We have been in Key West since Jan 7, depart later this week for Marathon and then slowly cruise north back to Sarasota. Then in the early fall we will head across Okeechobee and up the east coast to Hilton Head, Charleston and beyond before heading back south for two months in Key West next Jan / Feb ‘23.

Hi Den,

Yes, I'll be leaving from Fort Myers on or around April 1st, assuming the St Lucie lock is back in operation.

Sounds like you have a nice year planned. Will you be coming by Fort Myers before April 1st?

Ted

Wifey B:

I'm having a hard time picturing you as undecided when summer boating season is less than 4 months away. Impulsive, yes; undecided, no.

Ted

I'm having a hard time picturing you as undecided when summer boating season is less than 4 months away. Impulsive, yes; undecided, no.

Ted

Wifey B: Your half loop back flip sounds fun too. Maybe we should do it. :D

I think most likely 2C but could morph into 3. Probably a very fast run at the Gulf Coast and wait on the rivers until our next loop. :)

I think there's a lot to be said for half looping from the top like you, getting the great lakes and then other times go in from the other end and cover the lakes and rivers. It creates more manageable half loops but doesn't get your boat stuck in ice world for the winter. :D

For any who think they can't do the loop because they won't fit under 19'6" (up from 19'1"), let me point out this as an option. At normal pool, you can do the Erie and Oswego with up to 21'4" and go all the way on all the Great Lakes. You have no major bridge issues south of Chicago either. So if you're between 19' and 21', you could do an OCDiver plan and enjoy have the loop, then another year to an Australian plan (go down under) and enjoy the other half. :lol:

If you are looping through the Panama City area of the FL panhandle and need anything give me a PM. One of our fine crew just departed our "marina" this morning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom