New boat Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hey All,

We are on the hunt for our next boat. Anyone want to make suggestions?

Must Haves:

36 to 43 feet
Aft Cockpit
2 cabins (we have 2 sons)
Flybridge
15 knots minimum cruise
Workable Engine room

Strongly Prefer:

Twin Engines
Island Queen Berth in Master
1995 or newer
Little or no exterior teak
Galley Up
Some provision for carrying a 10' RIB

Not interested in:
Sundecks
Sportfish (too much HP for my budget)
Teak Decks

$200,000 budget.

We are closely looking at Mainship 400, we love the sabre 42 FB, but they are out of our price range.

Thanks!

Hey All,

$200,000 budget.

We are closely looking at Mainship 400, we love the sabre 42 FB, but they are out of our price range.

Thanks!

Sounds like you have found it.

The right boat on paper could prove to be the wrong boat in reality. Your $200K purchase budget should have a "fix it" line attached. Only you and your hired hands can ascertain the "fix it" amount on vessels you are considering. Chances are very good the current owner will do his best to mask and hide lurking problems.

Take 6 months (or more) and do your homework looking at as many as 20 different vessels. Some may be far away, that is OK. Things will start to come together if you are diligent, circumspect and patient. Hopefully you have previous experience to fall back on so "wax job" deals can be tossed aside.

Hey All,

I was working with Chuck Neville on a boat, I never built it but would love to see it on the water.
http://www.nevilleboats.com/stock_plans_jollyman_57.htm

We are not first time boat owners and are pretty experienced, we had our old boat for 8 1/2 years and cruised it extensively throughout Florida and the Bahamas. I did virtually all of the maintenance and upgrading myself. I was a professional fishing guide for 17 years. We have done a good bit of chartering as well.

Our plan is, or was, to look at a lot of different boats, but as we have cruised over the years we have built up a list of things we like and things we don't. It is a little strange in that I thought we would find a ton of boats that met our wants, but in truth when you start to filter it down there are very few. Or at least very few in our price range. I'd love a Krogen express, but you know how that goes...

The engine room is a big thing for me, I've grown weary of working in a cramped space. I worked really hard to keep our old engine room clean and bright but there is only so much you can do with a boat that has 40 plus year old motors in it.

I understand the costs associated with owning and maintaining a boat. I don't expect to get taken by a boat in poor condition, but it could happen to any of us, I guess.

The engine room is a big thing for me, I've grown weary of working in a cramped space. I worked really hard to keep our old engine room clean and bright but there is only so much you can do with a boat that has 40 plus year old motors in it.

That's my big thing now too! You and I almost are searching for the same boat.

Look at Defever 44 or 49 CPMY, Tollycraft engine room isn't too bad, Mainship Pilot (no flybridge though. JD's Mainship's 400 engine room isn't too bad either.

OK, go up 4 feet and look at the Meridian or Bayliner 4788 pilothouse model. (exace same boat)

It meets every criteria you mentioned, including the age, except its 4 feet longer than you specified.

Nothing easy about access to the Bayliner engine space from the one I saw. That said, the engines might have pretty good access, but that's it. The batts, AC units, and other support systems are in impossible spaces. It's why we have scratched it off our list.

Nothing easy about access to the Bayliner engine space from the one I saw. That said, the engines might have pretty good access, but that's it. The batts, AC units, and other support systems are in impossible spaces. It's why we have scratched it off our list.

You are thinking about the 45' models.

On the 4788's and 490 meridians (1994-2008) the extra 2' of room allowed them to relocate that stuff.

Everything is now accessable. The batteries are in the lazarette, AC units could be there as well. pumps etc... are all right where you can reach them for easy maintenance.

The only challenging space to reach on my boat is the outboard side of the starboard engine. That requires some wiggling to get around the transmission. I had to replace a starter and it was admittidly a little challenging to get to it properly.

Last edited:
Yep... It was a 4588.

Hey All,

I was working with Chuck Neville on a boat, I never built it but would love to see it on the water.
http://www.nevilleboats.com/stock_plans_jollyman_57.htm

Thanks for the link, she's a pretty bird! At following partics... she's quite thin of beam. What height from wl and nmpg fuel consumption is projected?

LOA
58'-11"
LWL
56'-06"
Beam:
13'- 09"
Draft:
5'- 06"
Weight:
89,350 lbs

Fuel:
2525 gal.
Water:
450 gal.
Power:
250 hp
Hull/House:
Alum/Alum

I don’t have drawings with me, but recall starting with a 10 knots boat at 100 horsepower; to get this we needed a slippery/light hull that would reach its theoretic hull speed at as low a horsepower per ton number as possible, something a little better them 3hp/ton. 8.4 knots or about 200 miles per day was our economy cruise speed goal; this is about 1.1 x sqr wl. From the start we wanted this boat to be an adventure platform not a true live aboard, we talked about a boat that could follow the Gray whale migration and have the endurance to enjoy the Asian cruising grounds.
The think the 89,350 lb weight and 250 Hp was a little conservative but Chuck’s work at the time involved lots of steel trawlers and I was working in carbon so I thought we would bring this boat in lighter. I was thinking of a boat like a comfortable long legged Nordhavn 46 more than a Nordhavn 55.
The European canals or the like were not considered when this boat’s air draft was being worked on.

I don’t have drawings with me, but recall starting with a 10 knots boat at 100 horsepower; to get this we needed a slippery/light hull that would reach its theoretic hull speed at as low a horsepower per ton number as possible, something a little better them 3hp/ton. 8.4 knots or about 200 miles per day was our economy cruise speed goal; this is about 1.1 x sqr wl. From the start we wanted this boat to be an adventure platform not a true live aboard, we talked about a boat that could follow the Gray whale migration and have the endurance to enjoy the Asian cruising grounds.
The think the 89,350 lb weight and 250 Hp was a little conservative but Chuck’s work at the time involved lots of steel trawlers and I was working in carbon so I thought we would bring this boat in lighter. I was thinking of a boat like a comfortable long legged Nordhavn 46 more than a Nordhavn 55.
The European canals or the like were not considered when this boat’s air draft was being worked on.

TY Boatgm!

The 130,000 lb Nordhavn 55' single engine versions have been built with a 310HP JD 6081 or Lugger 1276 rated at 340 HP

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom