American Marine green paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knot Lost

Vessel Name
Seaker
Vessel Make
1973 Grand Banks 32
Howdy everyone! I’m working on freshening up the engine (a Lehman 120) and “new” gearbox on my GB32. Anyone know where I can get my hands on that olive-y green paint they used on engines marinized in house? Or something close? Thanks in advance! Loving this place (and boat)

Howdy everyone! I’m working on freshening up the engine (a Lehman 120) and “new” gearbox on my GB32. Anyone know where I can get my hands on that olive-y green paint they used on engines marinized in house? Or something close? Thanks in advance! Loving this place (and boat)

What many do, me included, is take an engine piece to an auto paint store for a perfect match. I like getting some of the paint put in a pressure can for the "perfect" job. I've done starters, alternators, HXers, after coolers, water pumps and you name it this way on several engines.

What many do, me included, is take an engine piece to an auto paint store for a perfect match. I like getting some of the paint put in a pressure can for the "perfect" job. I've done starters, alternators, HXers, after coolers, water pumps and you name it this way on several engines.

Exactly what I did when I backed the motorhome into a branch, so needed to fix an abrasion in the fancy paintwork. A small Lordco Auto parts store in Port Coquitlam BC was able to make me a spray can that was so accurate I couldn't find the repair when selling a couple of years later. Luckily I had a 1"x 6" piece of trim to take into the store for a match.
If that little store could do it, you should have no trouble.

Many thanks!

Exactly what I did when I backed the motorhome into a branch, so needed to fix an abrasion in the fancy paintwork. A small Lordco Auto parts store in Port Coquitlam BC was able to make me a spray can that was so accurate I couldn't find the repair when selling a couple of years later. Luckily I had a 1"x 6" piece of trim to take into the store for a match.
If that little store could do it, you should have no trouble.

Didn’t even realize you could have a store make a spray can in custom color. Will go to work on this! Thanks for such quick replies!

Yes, paint stores, some of them, can mix custom colors in a spray can. My Lehmans are Royal Red which is an off the shelf color. Your green may also be available on the shelf. Maybe call Brian at American Diesel and ask him if it is available. 804-435-3107

I thought Lehmans were painted red,with olive green was reserved for Volvo Penta, until they discovered white. A Perkins owner told me never use red as it means "Stop". Ford Lehmans obviously don`t know that.

Yes, paint stores, some of them, can mix custom colors in a spray can. My Lehmans are Royal Red which is an off the shelf color. Your green may also be available on the shelf. Maybe call Brian at American Diesel and ask him if it is available. 804-435-3107

My Westy Genset is fire engine red. I hope it doesn't mean "Stop". Is it the same colour as Ford Lehman red?

My Volvos are green. On the can it is called "Volvo" and is darker than the colour of DD 2 strokes.
I have never seen a green Lehman. bronze, red, off white only.
However, when the need for paint arises, you can use whatever paint colour you have.

Marinization

Hey folks.
From what I’ve been able to research, the usual Lehman’s that Ford set up for marine use were apparently the red (and white?) ones. However, the same 2714Es that American Marine bought from Lehman and marinized themselves used their own green paint. Prior to buying SEAKER I’d only ever seen red ones and maybe some white. Definitely not the same green as on my sailboat’s Volvo Penta, nor the same as the 8V92 Detroit emergency generator on my ship.
Will definitely call that number and look into it. Thanks!

Hey folks.
From what I’ve been able to research,... the same 2714Es that American Marine bought from Lehman and marinized themselves used their own green paint.

That's how I understand it as well (information came from Brian at American diesel).

Up until sometime in the late(?) 80's, American Marine (Grand Banks) did their own Ford (Lehman) engines, and they were painted in what looks like a metallic olive green (or some seem to look goldish green).

Side note: Apparently some of these engines had an exhaust path that was too "straight" and could result in water ingress issues. Many would have been changed by now though.

Hi,

Ive been servicing my engines (new hoses and coolers etc) and wanted to touch up the chipped and damaged areas of paint. Ive taken various parts to the local auto supply paint shop as samples but they couldn't come up with an exact match, even using their sample camera. In the end we resorted to trying to colour match using sample cards. It was quite difficult to get an exact match especially with such small samples, in the end we came up with a pretty close choice which they could make in a rattle can in 10 minutes. The colour is Med Lime Effect from Nason Finishes, colour code 44421. It isn't an absolutely perfect match but is nearly so and much better than the dirty, chipped and rusty engine block before.

Attachments

• CF97234B-BE6C-4600-AD87-EB6ABFDC8A38.jpg
    CF97234B-BE6C-4600-AD87-EB6ABFDC8A38.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 18
  • CC055FAF-76EE-4635-86EC-683B86FB1799.jpg
    CC055FAF-76EE-4635-86EC-683B86FB1799.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 24
  • BD8E3F2C-F940-447B-8AFC-287C088B67D1.jpg
    BD8E3F2C-F940-447B-8AFC-287C088B67D1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 22
  • C69EF055-C7D5-42AA-A1AF-83D807CEC750.jpg
    C69EF055-C7D5-42AA-A1AF-83D807CEC750.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 84AEF9CF-503E-44CF-A65D-237D84D66A15.jpg
    84AEF9CF-503E-44CF-A65D-237D84D66A15.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 20
  • C4EF7D7D-1E74-48F1-94F5-5F36F4CF774C.jpg
    C4EF7D7D-1E74-48F1-94F5-5F36F4CF774C.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 9AA11F53-D34C-4097-9D5F-74DB45F99E1D.jpg
    9AA11F53-D34C-4097-9D5F-74DB45F99E1D.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 24
  • FA0FA541-CFB5-4E4A-9521-7EE5CE185095.jpg
    FA0FA541-CFB5-4E4A-9521-7EE5CE185095.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 20
Talked to Brian at American Diesel today. All American Diesel engines were Regal Red when they were new. Any other color someone else painted it!

Talked to Brian at American Diesel today. All American Diesel engines were Regal Red when they were new. Any other color someone else painted it!

This is correct. I used this color to touch up the engines in our last boat with Lehmans.

Mine is Ford Green. A little brighter than British Racing Green. According to Brian a rare color for Lehman's, but was done on the 135s.

The other green is as above a metallic green/gold. Very unique color.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom