Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HI FWT
For the weather - To be very clear, I am primarily trying to solve weather when I dont have cell or VHF.

Inside passage - Twice out of about 6 times, we went into areas deep passages for a couple of days+ with not seeing another boat, no vhf and no cell. Checking the forecast prior for the next 5 days said flat and clear. Good to go.
Coming out we had passed up the last anchorage several hours ago (on limited fuel) and came out once in a storm and another time just basically uncomfortable with opposing winds and rough seas. Had I known I would have not exited and stayed put for a couple more days. The weather can change that much.
For all of my cruising I'd use cell and apps and a laptop 90% of the time. If I invest in this hopefully that all I need is right in front of me. Watching the vids I found Garmin a bit clunky with the interface. I guess worst case, I'll fill in the holes where the dome went and replace it with whatever Elon comes up with.

Ah ha

For what you have to worry about in those cruising grounds that makes a ton of sense. No contest if you can get the Sirius signal when cell is unavailable.

One thing we haven’t discussed much, but Tom’s concern about the weather brings it to the forefront. I plan to buy an EPirb and also self inflating life jackets with PLB’s. Neither are needed on the river close by home, but would certainly be something I want for the gulf and the Bahamas. Is anyone else considering them? Also, anyone going to spring for a life raft?

One thing we haven’t discussed much, but Tom’s concern about the weather brings it to the forefront. I plan to buy an EPirb and also self inflating life jackets with PLB’s. Neither are needed on the river close by home, but would certainly be something I want for the gulf and the Bahamas. Is anyone else considering them? Also, anyone going to spring for a life raft?

You are ahead of me on this, but:

We will be getting good self inflating jackets. I have not really begun to make a selection. The inexpensive Mae West style stuff can do the job, but my experience from sailing (decades ago when there were few other choices) are they are so bulky you avoid wearing them until things get really dicey. The newer ones that self inflate are more likely to be put on earlier because they appear to be more comfortable and one can do the needed thing on deck with more mobility.

My bride is very aware of saftey. I have assured her we will invest in all reasonable precautions. That's a good thing, not a complaint from me.

We ordered some boat upgrades to add handholds.

Its unlikely I'll spring for a true life raft initially. I will be spending the first season or two on the Chesapeake and ICW. If / when I begin to plan for the Bahamas / Exuma I'll begin to think about any upgrades I want for that.

My wife is drawn to the Portland Pudgy as a dingy due to the options for life raft upgrade options. Those options come at a serious increase in price. Yes, I am quite aware that when things go bad deploying a dingy isn't the most reliable plan. If we go with that dingy and upgrades I'm less likely to later get a true life raft. If we go with a different model dingy, probably more likely, but later. In any event, a true raft isn't something I'll do in the first season.

I just picture season one being a focus on extended shakedown, practice with THIS boat, and outfitting with the long list of tools and spares, getting the galley and sleeping quarters functional, and so forth. We won't be immediately setting off on long journeys but instead more like a series of 3-7 day jaunts around the Bay.

SiriusXM weather concluded

Hi everyone,

Just to close out, Im the one who started the ask on SirusXM weather for the PNW and concluded I am going to pass on that solution. It's currently a nogo. Reviewed other long strings and speaking to some folks in Seattle and Anacortes, I'd say 80-90% said it doesnt work in PNW or is poor. I called sirusXM and escalated to get the scoop on coverage. Getting a 1st then 2nd level supervisor, I got the same pitch word for word from the marketing website with no real conversation about real performance that it works well.

I will review IridiumGo and PredictWind after I get the boat, as that appears to be favorable (but slow). It's the choice by most coastal and offshore sailors and cruisers. Maybe in the meantime Elon might solve it someday.

If I was fishing in Florida, it might be a GO-get.

Hi everyone,

Just to close out, Im the one who started the ask on SirusXM weather for the PNW and concluded I am going to pass on that solution. It's currently a nogo. Reviewed other long strings and speaking to some folks in Seattle and Anacortes, I'd say 80-90% said it doesnt work in PNW or is poor. I called sirusXM and escalated to get the scoop on coverage. Getting a 1st then 2nd level supervisor, I got the same pitch word for word from the marketing website with no real conversation about real performance that it works well.

I will review IridiumGo and PredictWind after I get the boat, as that appears to be favorable (but slow). It's the choice by most coastal and offshore sailors and cruisers. Maybe in the meantime Elon might solve it someday.

If I was fishing in Florida, it might be a GO-get.

Thanks for passing along the info. I have found that a lot of the companies don’t have any idea when it comes to real world use. I usually go the route you did and talk to actual users.

#51 out of the molds

Hi,
Just got internet and scott and team informed us our hull and deck were out of the molds this past week. Pretty pics. Getting pumped up.
#51 is in two big pieces!
- Tom

Hi,
Just got internet and scott and team informed us our hull and deck were out of the molds this past week. Pretty pics. Getting pumped up.
#51 is in two big pieces!
- Tom

It kind of accelerates on you ? They are building out the interior in ours now. They have received the engine though it will be awhile before that goes in.

Congratulations!

Over the past couple of months I have been considering where to place a grill on board, and also another refrigerator. A good friend of mine who ordered a helmsman 43 with a couple of innovative enhancements a month or so after I ordered mine asked for a combination grill/fridge cabinet on the flybridge, just behind the FB Settee. While I liked the idea (a lot), placing a cabinet up there would eliminate the possibility of ever adding all but the smallest dinghy up top. Working with Scoot, we found that we would be able to place the cabinet behind the two helm seats, parallel with the aft side of the settee, and still have plenty of space to walk through. Bear in mind that we ordered an arch, which will allow for the configuration. While I don’t plan to have the dinghy up there, I wanted to be able to change my mind in the future.

There aren’t a whole lot of builders out there willing to accept the challenge later in the build like Helmsman does. This is just another example of the personal touch which differentiates Helmsman from so many other boat builders out there.

That's a terrific idea.

Having a flybridge was a "must have" for my wife. It was pretty much up to her to decide the configuration. For a time, I toyed with the idea of doing L settees up there to both port and starboard, with a single centered helm seat. To add guest entertainment space. Scott said that was very do-able, but no one had asked for it. In the end we just went with the single L settee and 2 helm seats.

But I do love your idea.

If you are going with the L settee and 2 helm seats, what's your plan for a table at the settee? The small triangle top one I've seen in pictures is pretty small. We didn't get one. I figure on getting a folding teak table (to use if dining up there) once I have a clear vision of what size will work.

That's a terrific idea.

Having a flybridge was a "must have" for my wife. It was pretty much up to her to decide the configuration. For a time, I toyed with the idea of doing L settees up there to both port and starboard, with a single centered helm seat. To add guest entertainment space. Scott said that was very do-able, but no one had asked for it. In the end we just went with the single L settee and 2 helm seats.

But I do love your idea.

If you are going with the L settee and 2 helm seats, what's your plan for a table at the settee? The small triangle top one I've seen in pictures is pretty small. We didn't get one. I figure on getting a folding teak table (to use if dining up there) once I have a clear vision of what size will work.

That will work. We weren’t going to keep the triangle table, but we did. Will hold a couple of drinks, for those sitting there. We may put a drink holder by the helm next to the settee, too. We will probably have a couple or three folding chairs and a table up top to eat outside when it is nice. And to lounge on at the end of the day. So, the back will be for relaxing, or sunning for the younger members of the family. We want to keep the area flexible.

You will have a ton of good space. Good plan

That is a great idea. That location would also work for a portable refrigerator/ freezer.

https://www.whynter.com/product/fm-...one-portable-fridgefreezer-12v-option-wheels/

Yes, it would. We had a NovaKool 9200 which is the old version of the 9000 on our Carver. Worked well for us. When we would head up for tailgates with the Vol Navy at UT, we would take a big Yeti cooler in the cockpit to carry the extra food we would need for the weekend. Most of the time the fridge was plenty for us. It will be nice to have the extra capacity, and nice to grill up there. With everything on a boat there is a compromise. In this case, the helm area won’t feel as open. But, it will still be as “roomy” as my Carver. We will probably spend more time up there, than down below, particularly in the spring, summer and fall.

Freezer #2

Hmm, your just one step ahead of me.
We need a spare freezer to carry special foods etc for allergies.

Nancy and Rick were shopping for a frig as well.

I had decided on two locations. 1) where the gen-set would have gone (they say engine room doesn't get hot (fans/vents), and 2) right of the door at the cockpit. My discussion with Scott was a long time ago and he pointed to a frig that would work at the gen-set location (we are not getting a generator). I am asking him to put 12/120v plugs at both locations.

The current frig/freez we were thinking of is: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/vitrifrigo-vf65p-portable-refrigerator-and-freezer-2-3-cu-ft/vf65p

However, I need to go find the emails and double confirm with Scott prior to pulling the trigger.

Not super sure if the cockpit will work. might be tight on a 38.

I think I want the bridge clean. I am however, having him install a vented box under the bench seat for a small gas tanks for the ding and maybe I can squeeze my baby 2.2k yammy gen if I decide to ever take it. Doubt that would fit.

Hmm, your just one step ahead of me.
We need a spare freezer to carry special foods etc for allergies.

Nancy and Rick were shopping for a frig as well.

I had decided on two locations. 1) where the gen-set would have gone (they say engine room doesn't get hot (fans/vents), and 2) right of the door at the cockpit. My discussion with Scott was a long time ago and he pointed to a frig that would work at the gen-set location (we are not getting a generator). I am asking him to put 12/120v plugs at both locations.

The current frig/freez we were thinking of is: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/vitrifrigo-vf65p-portable-refrigerator-and-freezer-2-3-cu-ft/vf65p

However, I need to go find the emails and double confirm with Scott prior to pulling the trigger.

Not super sure if the cockpit will work. might be tight on a 38.

I think I want the bridge clean. I am however, having him install a vented box under the bench seat for a small gas tanks for the ding and maybe I can squeeze my baby 2.2k yammy gen if I decide to ever take it. Doubt that would fit.

As an east coast boat it would be kind of difficult to go without a generator, but for your boat it would make sense to do that. Another possible site is the access door in the day head, if there isn’t a planned washer dryer there. I agree on the cockpit. I think it would be a little tight on the 38. There is a picture of a cabinet on the 43 cockpit I posted earlier in the thread. One of the pluses to the 43 is that the cockpit is larger.

What makes sense about no generator? I must not fully understand the situation.

What makes sense about no generator? I must not fully understand the situation.

Sorry, probably wasn’t clear. What I was trying to say is that a lot of boats (not all) in the PNW don’t have generators, from what I understand, due to not needing air conditioning. They lower their requirements for AC electricity by using gas stoves, diesel or engine heaters for heat and hot water, and use solar for battery replenishment along with their alternators.

In the southeastern area of the country, most folks (not all) use generators, principally due to air conditioning requirements. As a result, many “east coast” boats have electric stoves, electric grills, and electric hot water, since the generator can carry those loads. Probably shouldn’t throw the whole east coast into that equation, since many boats in the northeast go without air conditioning.

Last edited:
ok that makes sense. I don't generally run AC away from the dock though I could if really needed to, but still use the generator for stove and microwave and battery charging when on the hook. Water heater too, but not as critical.

ok that makes sense. I don't generally run AC away from the dock though I could if really needed to, but still use the generator for stove and microwave and battery charging when on the hook. Water heater too, but not as critical.

I never left the Tennessee River on my previous boat. If we wanted to go out in July and August, we would run the AC quite a bit, due to temps in the nineties and high humidity. The ability to open the Helmsman windows should result in reduced usage. I am really looking forward to that aspect, though I haven’t really discussed prior to this. Even in warmer weather, I think it will make a big difference in enjoying boating.

I never left the Tennessee River on my previous boat. If we wanted to go out in July and August, we would run the AC quite a bit, due to temps in the nineties and high humidity. The ability to open the Helmsman windows should result in reduced usage. I am really looking forward to that aspect, though I haven’t really discussed prior to this. Even in warmer weather, I think it will make a big difference in enjoying boating.

It's probably not as bad in CT, but we get our share of hot humid weather. But even getting a mile away from land can make a big difference. However, there are a few times when it's nice to be plugged into a marina dock with the AC blasting nonstop and a short walk to a pool.

It's probably not as bad in CT, but we get our share of hot humid weather. But even getting a mile away from land can make a big difference. However, there are a few times when it's nice to be plugged into a marina dock with the AC blasting nonstop and a short walk to a pool.

Just as an example we had an all time record breaking last week of June in 2021, we thought we would die during that 4 day period ;)

Check out the 25th through 28th. Normally we get the first 80F day on the 4th of July and it is back in the 70F degree range in a few days. If this is what the future brings then you will see people buying A/C and generators on their boats up here.

As an aside not related to boating it is fun watching the big box stores when those few 80F days occur every year as people flock to them to buy window A/C units (some even go across state lines to bring back units for their neighbors ;) )

We typically have no cooling but use diesel for heating, cooking and hot water.

Attachments

• Hot_June_2021.jpg
    Hot_June_2021.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 28
There’s a fascinating blog post on the Helmsman website. Two 43Es and a 38E were shipped together and recently offloaded in Surrey, B.C. Helmsman did some unusual logistics to get these boats delivered. What they are accomplishing in this unusual environment is certainly impressive and reassuring.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/news/blog/

Reactions: FWT
There’s a fascinating blog post on the Helmsman website. Two 43Es and a 38E were shipped together and recently offloaded in Surrey, B.C. Helmsman did some unusual logistics to get these boats delivered. What they are accomplishing in this unusual environment is certainly impressive and reassuring.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/news/blog/

The team there knows how to get things done, even with the hurdles that keep getting put in front of them. The picture of the three of them lined up shows the difference in size between a 43 and a 38. I noticed that they all have arches, too.

The team there knows how to get things done, even with the hurdles that keep getting put in front of them. The picture of the three of them lined up shows the difference in size between a 43 and a 38. I noticed that they all have arches, too.

Is the radar arch the now default instead of the previous mast?

You can select either one. Its just personal preference. No difference in cost.

For what its worth, I went with the arch. The mast is the more traditional look but takes space in the middle of the flybridge deck. The arch frees that up.

Both can hinge down to drop air draft for low bridges such as the need on The Loop.

Hey, Sharked. FWT answered, and it is personal preference. I happen to like the lines of the boat better with the arch and is why I brought it up. In addition to the space it provides, you can spread instruments across it, which can help with the recommended spacing guidelines from electronics vendors. Not a major deal, but certainly a consideration.

Back
Top Bottom