GB newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Souvenir

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Considering the purchase of a 1984 Grand Banks 36.
Couple of basic questions for the group:

- What is the typical bridge clearance I'd expect?
- How big of an ordeal is it to lower the mast if I have clearance issues?

-- EDIT: OK, I'm seeing a height to top of mast around 22' 3".
-- Also, it appears that mast can be stepped, but it's a hassle. Probably wouldn't want to do that each time I come back into the covered slip. Agree?

- Has anyone installed a bow thruster? Is that a reasonable thing to consider doing for this make/model boat?

Thanks

Last edited:
The previous owner of our GB 42 Classic cut down the mast to 18' for Great Loop purposes. We have lowered it a couple of times for maintenance purposes over the past 4 years. The crutch that holds it while lowered is already in place, loose the stays , minimum of two people to lower it by hand. Not a complex process but a little nerve racking. Bad stuff if it slips and drops. A halyard at the top can be used to help control lowering it but the lower it gets the less it helps of course but it does get it into the hands of the other person helping on the cabin top. Pretty heavy but not a killer. Remember that you are going to have to do it out on the water, up and down. Not sure where you are but you might have to have three people onboard with one to handle the helm.

I guess it depends on how you use the boat. For frequent day cruising it would be a pain. If you use it for more extended cruising a few times a year and have enough hands on deck then sure. Having an older GB42 and being in South Florida I would jimp through some hoops to have a covered slip.

On the bow thruster, we have one and use it on occasion. When I need it I NEED it because I am newer to handling twin diesels (which make things much easier to begin with). I find that my use of the BT has diminished over time as I"ve beome more proficient. Some will go with the "Real Captains don't need a bow thruster" attitude but I take advanatge of every tool I have or can get. It should be fun. If you have the money to spare, are new to handling a boat such as this, get it. I promise there will be a time when you think "Wow, I sure am glad I got that bow thruster!"

Last edited:
36' Grand Banks Classic

Hi, welcome to Grand Banks ownership. You won't regret it. The best quality is some of the best. And best of all is the Grand Banks camaraderie.

To help answer your questions, here goes. Our 36' GB Classic has a 11' airdraft at the top of the flying bridge windshield, 14' with bimini up but closer and the mast is around what you mentioned.

Our GB has a mast/boom crutch to lower the mast into and a block and tackle arrangement for lowering the mast. My wife and I can raise and lower our mast very easily and I wouldn't hesitate to do it. When we strike out for great loop I will have the crutch modified to accept the boom at level and to accept the mast at an angle that will make top of the mast when lowered, the same airdraft as the top of fly bridge windshield. This will enable us to cruise the entire Erie Canal and back without raising and lowering for all the bridges.

We had installed a 7.5hp Vetus bow thruster. It has been great and worth the $outlay. We have a single engine, with large rudder but thought with our limited experience in larger boats, this would be a worthwhile addition. We don't use it much but when we need, we need it....it's been great.

We live on the Maine coast and checked for pricing from three local boat yards, price ranges from $10.5k to $15k. It seemed expensive and would have taken the boat to their yards and paid for hauling. I did some searching on the interweb and found a well regarded mobile company. I contacted them, East Coast Bow Thrusters from upstate New York, told Joe Molinaro (845-551-1975) about our boat, make, model and location (in my back yard) he told me the exact thruster needed for our GB and have me a price, $9500. I told him yes, and a little while later he came to my house with 2 partners from New York and in one day, was done and gone. Guaranteed the thruster for 3 years and his and his crews workmanship for as long as we own our boat. Also, because our main engine start battery was close enough to the thuster, he did have to install a dedicated battery and shaved off a couple more hundred dollars. They wouldn't even take a coffee or lunch break...my wife and I had to eat all the donuts.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to Me for any questions.

Best regards,
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36'Grand Banks Classic, 1988
Potts Harbor Maine
207-833-5080
mbdana54@gmail.com

Attachments

• IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 18
There!

Attachments

• B4C26D3C-B727-450C-A04A-27520594D51F.jpg
    B4C26D3C-B727-450C-A04A-27520594D51F.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 38
36' Grand Banks Classic

Thank! What did I do wrong? She looks a lot better on the level than on the vertical.

Following and also curious about the block and tackle arrangement.

I’m guessing that Mikes block and tackle is under a lot of snow right now. We are using a yardstick to measure today. However I would also like to see a picture of that block and tackle setup when convenient.

We used East Coast Bow Thruster on Mikes recommendation. Couldn’t be happier. Done in one day by a very professional group of individuals. Would highly recommend them to anyone.

Ray, can you explain where you have the block and tackle to lower the mast located/attached on the boat?

Hal, must be another GB steward! I don’t have a B&T to lower the mast. I have too much stuff on my mast to make an attempt to lower. I keep her in an outdoor slip.

Thank! What did I do wrong? She looks a lot better on the level than on the vertical.

For some reason I’ve never had success in attaching a photo that’s in the “portrait” orientation. Has to be “landscape”. I just cut off the bottom of your portrait photo to make it landscape. Voila!

Hal, must be another GB steward! I don’t have a B&T to lower the mast. I have too much stuff on my mast to make an attempt to lower. I keep her in an outdoor slip.

Sorry about that! mbdana is the one who said he had the block and tackle, not you. You only fixed the pic for him. I should have scrolled up one more post. Just curious on how to use block and tackle to lower the highest thing on the boat. I know that once we lower it enough to where other hands and arms can get it from the aft cabin top we are fine. Also, I don't have a boom, only the mast which is shortened and lighter than the normal GB42 mast/boom.

Third Reef Mast block and tackle

Here is our block and tackle set up. Our boat is under shrink wrap so don't get confused with the pics. Don't hesitate to holler for more pictures or questions. She is in our backyard and available 24/7

Best regards,
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36'Grand Banks Classic
Potts Harbor Maine
207-720-0531 (c)
207-833-5080 (h)

Attachments

• image0-4.jpg
    image0-4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 37
  • image0-3.jpg
    image0-3.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 32
  • image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 38
Here is our block and tackle set up. Our boat is under shrink wrap so don't get confused with the pics. Don't hesitate to holler for more pictures or questions. She is in our backyard and available 24/7

Best regards,
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36'Grand Banks Classic
Potts Harbor Maine
207-720-0531 (c)
207-833-5080 (h)

It appears that you have it anchored to the hand rail on the flybridge dash?

GB Mast Lower/Block and Tackle

The previous pic aren't the greatest. I can take more pictures with better clarity if needed. My wife and I do the raising and lowering with this set up very easily. And intend to use it often when we are in the Erie, Champlain and Canadian canals.I

If you are cruising on the Maine Coast this summer give a holler, we love to meet and see GB folks and their boats.

Best of luck.
Mike and Janet Dana
Third Reef
36'Grand Banks Classic
Potts Harbor Maine
207-720-0531 (c)
207-833-5080 (h)

GB Mast Block and tackle

Yes, I attach a loop of line to the hand grab on top of FB console, attach another loop of line to the radar bracket/foundation. Attach the B&T to these loops.

My wife takes a steady strain on the b&t tag line. I then remove the side stays, then the wing nuts at the mast base. As she maintains the strain, I gently push the mast back while Janet pays out, maintains the steady strain. As the mast lowers, I grab it when it gets to me while standing on the aft house top level step and I guide it into the crutch. Reverse when raising.

The previous pic aren't the greatest. I can take more pictures with better clarity if needed. My wife and I do the raising and lowering with this set up very easily. And intend to use it often when we are in the Erie, Champlain and Canadian canals.I

If you are cruising on the Maine Coast this summer give a holler, we love to meet and see GB folks and their boats.

Best of luck.
Mike and Janet Dana
Third Reef
36'Grand Banks Classic
Potts Harbor Maine
207-720-0531 (c)
207-833-5080 (h)

Mike,
Thanks so much for the pictures. I wondered where the block and tackle was anchored. We dont have the grab rail on the port side. Now I have another good reason to add one.

Also thanks for the tip on East Coast. They made it easy and did a great job!

Cigatoo, that hand grab rail comes in handy when rocking and rolling up there too. Did East Coast do your now thruster this year? I know Joe was thinking of retiring and the young guys was going to be the heir apparent.
Are you in New England? We are in South Harpswell so if you want make comparisons of even back in our Grand Banks glory give a call. My email is mbdana54@gmail.com.

12-14 weeks to cruising time!

GB Mast / Boom Lowering

Our 'newish' to us GB 36 CL (#958) has a mast lowering 'system'. I'll try to attach a couple photos to show. Used Block&Tackle from mast to a vertical pole that is structurally part of our bimini. I additionally brace the Bimini 'post' forward with temp lines. Our Toping Lift & 'Mast Lowering' lines run down to cabin top and to sheet stoppers & winch - giving as much purchase as you want. I have lowered / raised the mast 4 times and only used the winch on first. We have a mast cradle that 'catches' the mast before horizontal the cradle crutch includes a rest for the boom as well. When I've wanted to completely lower the mast (to reach masthead from dock), I remove the boom - seems a bit simpler but adds another process.
I have had assistance for lowering the first time - however, I have been in a slip or on the hard the other times. If you have any additional questions please ask. Always curious how others adapt / modify tasks to accomplish. My masthead is just under 23' from waterline. In my opinion a bit higher than I'd prefer along the East Coast - I am considering decreasing the height to 20' for bridge ease.
Best
m/v 'MOLLY B' GB 36 currently berthed in NewBern, NC

GB Mast Boom & Cradle (Cbn Turning Blks & Stoppers).jpg

GB Mast & Boom (rear view).jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

GB Mast Lowering - Don't know if you are on fb, this topic has been discussed a bit on that forum as well. If you search you can find some additional perspectives. Regards Dale

GB Newbie

Considering the purchase of a 1984 Grand Banks 36.
Couple of basic questions for the group:

- What is the typical bridge clearance I'd expect?
- How big of an ordeal is it to lower the mast if I have clearance issues?

-- EDIT: OK, I'm seeing a height to top of mast around 22' 3".
-- Also, it appears that mast can be stepped, but it's a hassle. Probably wouldn't want to do that each time I come back into the covered slip. Agree?

- Has anyone installed a bow thruster? Is that a reasonable thing to consider doing for this make/model boat?

Thanks

Lowering the mast is possible but it’s heavy.

I have a single engine and no thrusters. Hasn’t been an issue. A couple of days practicing backing into your slip and you’ll get the feel for it. If you are new to handling boats of this size, there are a couple of schools where you have a skipper that teaches you how to handle the boat over a three day “cruise”. I believe one school is in Southwest, Fl.
If I were going to add a thruster on my boat I would probably go with an external stern thruster.

Btw, my boat listed with Galati Yacht Sales in Orange Beach, Al.

Last edited:
On my 36CL, I installed a large eye bolt in the dash area midline with a large backing plate, block & tackle to just under the radar platform, would just curve around the back of the Bimini frame but at that point, there’s minimal pressure on the B&T/ Bimini frame since mast is vertical. I installed gate latch type shackles on the forward mast stays for quick release, the aft stays don’t need to be detached. Takes 5 minutes up or down. Depending on pool heights may or may not need to lower Bimini also on the loop or Western Erie.

Hi, going for a survey, haul out and sea trial on a 87 36 Grand banks classic, single 120 Leaman and a bow thruster, very solid and well maintained boat, I am hoping all goes well as I am getting excited, the mast has a 2 piston hydralic set up about 2/3 down from top and looks like it would provide enough clearance for my boathouse which is about 15 ft, have you seen this setup or had an experience with that type,
Thanks
Ray

Hi, going for a survey, haul out and sea trial on a 87 36 Grand banks classic, single 120 Leaman and a bow thruster, very solid and well maintained boat, I am hoping all goes well as I am getting excited, the mast has a 2 piston hydralic set up about 2/3 down from top and looks like it would provide enough clearance for my boathouse which is about 15 ft, have you seen this setup or had an experience with that type,
Thanks
Ray

Sounds interesting. Do you have a photo?

I am going to see the boat on Sunday and will take a picture, if this system works well I will need to buy new stainless steel struts (Shocks) as the old ones maybe failing
!

We have a 36 Europa, single.

Would not be without bow thruster. Takes all wear and tear off transmission.

Our mast is 21' and takes two people, one to lower and one to break connections. Boom drops in cradle first, then mast.

If in your area I would make a cut down mast for the shed and store the original.

Thanks
Ray

Welcome Rippy. From my memory, The book for our 84 Grand Banks 36 Classic lists the height to the top of the windscreen at 11’2”. If you have a Bimini 15’ should be real close one way or the other. The hydraulic folding mast sounds interesting. Keep us posted.

Mast Hydraulics

Hi Ray,
Cigatoo is correct, our wind screen is 11', bimini up but not deployed is 14' and bimini deployed is somewhat less than 15'. With mast down, there would adequate room to get into you covered slip.

The hydraulic pistons on your mast sound like an engineer's add on and a good idea if you are single handing. However, really not necessary as the decent of the mast can be controlled with the block and tackle. Stays disconnected and mast guided into the crutch by a second person.

Although our 36' GB Classic was 30 years old when we bought it, we chose to have a bow thruster installed. It has been great for the times we have needed it. We had ours installed by the mobile thruster company, East Coast Bow Thrusters, (Joe Molinaro, 845-551-1975, www.ecbowthrusters.com) they came to our house in Maine from New York and in one day complete installation and ready to go....and several boat$$$units less than our local boat yards quoted.
Good luck and yes! Would love to see a picture of your lower hydraulics.
Best
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Classic #819
Potts Harbor Maine
207-720-0531

Yes, the bow thruster with a single is almost as good as twins for docking, apparently the current owner removed stock proper in thruster for some newer blade confiruation that actully increased the thrust, looking forward to using for docking,
the mast set up is possibly a great way to drop with the strut pistons and it breaks at roughly 2/3 's down so it will help if I can update the struts, it also breaks at the deck so either way its not a deal breaker, I will post pictures later,
Newbi question, where do they put the vessel # placard usually ??
Thanks
Ray Rodolf

Thanks for the elevation info, I will first stop at our guest dock and lower any bimini restrictions and mast then go to my boathouse and from there I can confirm how I can enter without restrictions
Thanks
Ray Rodolf

Hull #Placard location

Hi Ray,
I have seen them in various locations but ours is to the left of the lower helm wheel on the small vertical surface just below the center window slide locking rod.

I have seen them also above the lower helm on the valence near overhead. I have seen one on the port cabinet above the refrigerator.

Always wonder why, as fine tuned as Grand Banks are, why wouldn't there be a standard location for this placard.

It is a bronze oval, with Grand Banks in it on the top and general the country where built (Singapore, Hong Kong,Malaysia) on the bottom with the hill number in the middle.

I will send a picture of ours when I get aboard ours, shortly.

Best regards,
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36'Grand Banks Classic Hull#819
Potts Harbor Maine
207-720-0531

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom