Minnimec Delivery Valve Seal Leak - Lehman 120hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am so glad I found this post about the refurbishing of the fuel pumps. Am having my cylinders, pistons, valves, injectors etc cleaned by a mechanic, for which he is charging me a very nice amount, but it needs to be done.

Today he came with the 'suggestion' to do a complete overhaul of the fuel pumps, so that I know for sure they are functioning fine. Never had any problems with them, they are not leaking, oil gets changed every 100 hours, so I don't see the need for taking them apart.

The quote for the rebuild alone is 2000 euro, after that comes the installation and re-timing and oh yes.................I have 2 of these pumps.

So glad to find out I can basically keep those 5000 euro (in total) in my pocket and exchange the parts myself for 250 euro max (for 2 pumps).

Is it just me who always finds these mechanics that want to overhaul your engines when you just come for some cleaning or does this happen to others as well ?

Just wondering.

Am so glad I found this post about the refurbishing of the fuel pumps. Am having my cylinders, pistons, valves, injectors etc cleaned by a mechanic, for which he is charging me a very nice amount, but it needs to be done.

Today he came with the 'suggestion' to do a complete overhaul of the fuel pumps, so that I know for sure they are functioning fine. Never had any problems with them, they are not leaking, oil gets changed every 100 hours, so I don't see the need for taking them apart.

The quote for the rebuild alone is 2000 euro, after that comes the installation and re-timing and oh yes.................I have 2 of these pumps.

So glad to find out I can basically keep those 5000 euro (in total) in my pocket and exchange the parts myself for 250 euro max (for 2 pumps).

Is it just me who always finds these mechanics that want to overhaul your engines when you just come for some cleaning or does this happen to others as well ?

Just wondering.
Nope. Not u usual. There is shortage of guessers quite willing to replace and hope.

Thanks Dan - an excellent post !
Grateful FL120 owner,
Nick

Dave, good point. I measure the volume of oil drained from the pumps. Even at 150 hours I have never seen oil in volumes in excess of the initial fill. So, doesn't that mean fuel dilution is really not very much? I once talked with a FL120 owner who did not become aware of the oil change requirement for FOURTEEN years. He did find that there was a lot of fuel dilution when he changed the oil but with no apparent damage to the pump because he had continued to use that pump for several more years and was continuing to do so. This was not a lightly used vessel. I have a sense that there has never been a real test of how long these pumps would last with infrequent oil changes. Still, I will continue to change my oil every 150 hours. Easy enough to do and not costly.

I have heard that scenario too. I have never owned 120s so I don’t know how important it is or isn’t. I was just passing along what Bob Smith said. I would certainly change the small amount of oil rather than having to rebuild the injection pump. Much cheaper. But everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with. 14 years seems like a long time to not have learned about your engines…

I change the injection pump oil when I change my regular engine oil.....if it is much more than 15/16 Oz, then I would be worried. Or if it smelled like diesel instead of hot motor oil.

In 3700 hours on the engine and changing oil between 125 and 200 hours...never saw a change in the injection pump oil.

The 50 hour interval I would guess is for older engines or you suspect an issue...otherwise what a waste of time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom