Old 01-29-2022, 09:20 PM   #9
socalrider
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
So how expensive are these moorings compared to dock rates? I need to spend a few days in San Diego before heading South into Mexico, anchoring out in the bay doesn't seem to be an option.
I keep my boat in that mooring field (America's Cup Harbor). It's the best field in SD, with a 7+ year waitlist for a ball. Part of the reason is how absurdly cheap it is - I was paying $1200/mo at Kona Kai (probably the nicest marina in SD, but I couldn't find anything appreciably cheaper at 45'LOA), and the mooring ball is $145 or so per month, up to 54'. That buys a lot of boat parts.

Moorings are Catalina-style as described. They are indeed tight. Single-handed with a breeze on things can get dicey, but it's pretty easy to plan for calm conditions in San Diego. I love it there.

If you're looking for a transient slip, you can get them as described above, but you can also sublet a mooring ball from someone who's not using theirs, for 2x the standard monthly rate - so under $300/mo. Very cheap way to stay in SD for a few months! Disclaimer: if you sublet my ball while I'm off cruising for the summer, they'll cut me a check to refund me my monthly fee! Here's the contact: Welcome to the San Diego Mooring Company!
socalrider is online now   Reply With Quote