Intruder Alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent over 1,000 nights at anchor and never had a problem.

Not in Haiti!!!

We cruise for pleasure so if there's an area where we don't feel safe, we just don't go there.

There's a chance of an issue anywhere including in your own home but I would hate to go through life feeling I needed a loaded gun by my side 24/7.

Besides, if you are asleep and half drunk and the intruders are awake, armed, and expecting an encounter, how do you think it's going to turn out?

We cruise for pleasure so if there's an area where we don't feel safe, we just don't go there.

Agreed.

Besides, if you are asleep and half drunk and the intruders are awake, armed, and expecting an encounter, how do you think it's going to turn out?

Badly for the intruder. They often times aren't expecting a defensive home/boat owner.

A boat is a target of oppertunity , (except off Somolia) .

When some kids or a sneak thief decides to target you is not that location sensitive.

Beggars along side or coming aboard IS more location sensitive.

Don't bring blanks to a gunfight!
Steve W

They make non-lethal loads for shotguns, for those who are interested. Me, I'm not going to bother warning anyone. They'll know they made a bad decisions when they get hit by the shot.

Badly for the intruder. They often times aren't expecting a defensive home/boat owner.

You are missing my point. This guy (or guys) is awake, armed, and ready for what he is about to do. You are not expecting to be attacked, you may be asleep or half drunk and not fully ready for what is about to happen.

Now if you plan to stand watch and are awake and sober, that's a different story. You will probably come out on top.

Most of us would stay away from an area where we would feel the need to stay up all night to repel intruders.

You are missing my point. This guy (or guys) is awake, armed, and ready for what he is about to do.

They're not really "ready" or expecting resistance. There had been two thugs from a neighboring county breaking into houses in the adjoining subdivision. One day after breaking into some homes and were heading back through the woods to the place they stay at were tackled by two work-at-home dads that had heard of the break-ins. They had previously scouted out the path these guys were taking to get there and back. The burgulars were armed, but not ready and not expecting to be attacked themselves.

My point is that the criminals aren't ready for resistance. So any they get is a surprise to them. Sometimes someone just yelling at them scares them off.

You are not expecting to be attacked, you may be asleep or half drunk and not fully ready for what is about to happen.

At work maybe... :angel:

No, we can't be expected to be ready for anything all the time. But any resistance you put up will be more effective than none at all.

We been living on the boat fore 15 years have not had anything stolen or intruder. Since the Eagle is old and ugly there are plenty of newer and fancier boats around, and we always have lights and the TV/music on, so it looks like somebody is on the boat or will be back shortly. Also our boat is high so people can not look into it, but they can see the flicker of the TV. We do not lock the vehicle and/or the boat either as there is really nothing of value worth taking. Please take our old stuff, so we can buy new stuff. Well look at it on the bright side at least the carried it off the boat for me! :thumb: Besides if you shoot some one they will probable sue you, and then you have to sell the boat to pay for the legal expense, and/or end up in jail.

As mentioned before, we will install a Boat Nanny that has light and loud alarm. Boat Alarms - The BoatNanny - Boat Security System

"Now if you plan to stand watch and are awake and sober, that's a different story. You will probably come out on top."

Murphygauges stand watch underway,

Sears stands watch at anchor.

With a slight touch of anything metal on the rail , the borders get what a 1200lb cow gets, A real surprise!!!!

Thieving boat bums probably do not have the training to remain silent.

Any one dumb enough to board a FL boat , or any of the other 30 or so free states that allow easy carry permits , should not be surprised at being repulsed with force.

Last edited:
Anyone with a little training (muscle memory training like the military) can come out of a dead sleep, half in the bag and still pump 5 center mass. Proven time after time...read not too long ago some 92 year old former Air Force WWII vet woke up and popped a couple burglars... it's all about attitude and training.:thumb:

:oldman:Remind to self... "Self" do not board any of our boats at 2am... mine included.. drunk or not drunk :cry:

We were boarded by teenagers one night at lock 23 on the Erie canal. I flipped on the spreader lights and went outside with a nightstick and a diving knife. They took off. My wife and 10 year old daughter had mace and frying pans at the ready. Don't mess with Jersey girls.

From that night on we pulled ourselves away from the dock with a side anchor and had trip lines running around the decks. If I had tacks I would have used them. .

So the question is, if you had a gun on board, would you have shot the teenagers? Can you legally even have a gun on a boat in NY state?

Gun laws are different in every state (of the USA) and very different in other countries. Just having a gun on your boat could be a criminal offense in some places. In some states, you can legally kill an intruder on your boat. In others, you could be charged with murder. Depending on the state and who you kill, you could face a civil lawsuit as well as criminal charges.

I support the Constitutional right of American citizens to bear arms but I don't think shooting people is the best solution for most problems.

Sure beats some of the alternatives! :D :thumb: :D

I support the Constitutional right of American citizens to bear arms but I don't think shooting people is the best solution for most problems.[/QUOTE]

I would say you are not shooting people You are shooting a criminal or at least someone with criminal intent.

I am not saying shoot first but at least be prepared to defend yourself.

What if there intent was more than theft.
Perhaps murder or mayhem.

When seconds count the cops are only minutes away.

They are extremely efficient at taking reports.

SD

Last edited:
As far as going armed, people are going to do what they're going to do--hopefully with some appreciation of the potential consequences. I'm sure George Zimmerman never thought he'd become a household name.

It's also very situational. Personally, I would hate myself if I shot an unarmed teenager for doing something I might have done on a dare when I was a kid. At the same time, if an armed, strung-out crack addict boarded my boat because he saw an opportunity, I would not count on simply the sound of me racking a 12-gauge stopping him. It most likely wouldn't.

Bottom-line: it could be the most important split-second decision with life-long consequences none of us ever wants to face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom