AnyExperience with Mabru A/C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I’m still researching A/C vendors to replace three split systems on our DeFever. I’ve looked at all the usual suspects (Dometic, Webasto, Marine Air—even Flagship, Mermaid and CTM). But I see very little on Mabru Power Systems (one member here, AquaDestiny, has posted a positive experience).

The build quality and specs they claim are impressive: cupronickel condenser tubes, copper fins, lifetime warranty on the compressor, significantly quieter than other self-contained units). All this, of course, comes at a price, putting Mabru somewhere between the middle and upper end of the spectrum.

Has anyone else installed these units and if, so, what’s your experience been? Particularly interested in your impressions of cooling ability and sound.

No experience with Mabru A/C but I would suggest adding "Marinaire" to your list, I bought one last season, I bought new from and ebay seller, it shipped promptly from Florida and I had it within a week. I self installed it, replacing a relatively new cruise air (made by Dometic) and I'm satisfied with it.

No experience with Mabru A/C but I would suggest adding "Marinaire" to your list, I bought one last season, I bought new from and ebay seller, it shipped promptly from Florida and I had it within a week. I self installed it, replacing a relatively new cruise air (made by Dometic) and I'm satisfied with it.

Thanks, I misspelled Marinaire in my post above. I have checked them out and physical fit is an issue.

Following along on the hunt for reviews of Mabru. Interested in maybe a 7,000 btu unit if I buy an Albin 25/27.

Pricey, pricey for the Mabru, but low energy draw, at 28/29 A.

Screenshot_16.png

If the 29A draw if legit for both air and heat, this could run off a small battery bank! AC on a small boat without the need for a generator or shore power would be sweet!

Jim

Mabru has put out a lot of information (and several video) of their AC system install in boats. As a natural born skeptic, I take this information with a grain of salt.

I have seen a few instances where boaters have confirmed the power draws that Marbu claims. However, I am looking for more real life experiences, NOT posted by the company.

Jim

Panbo article on 12V A/Cs

DC Air Conditioning - Comfort on the water, no generator required

Topic of Mabru has come up a couple times on CruisersForum. Issue I have is the manufacturer (or distributor) surreptitiously posts as a user vs disclose their commercial affiliation. Not a good harbinger....

Peter

I’ve noticed that and attribute it to a small manufacturer with a generally unpolished in-house marketing approach. (The owner has started signing his name to such posts.) I also saw where a poster says Mabru flew a tech to his boat to replace a malfunctioning unit under warranty.

The video below detailing the choice of construction materials and methods, the lifetime compressor/two-year rest-of-unit warranty and the uniformly positive (albeit limited) reviews are all on the plus side, in my mind. Still, I’d like to hear from actual users.

(12 volts seems to be the current rage, but not for me.)

It was approximately 1 1/2 to 2 years ago I put in my Mabru. I've never tested the amp draw. All I can tell you is I have had no issues with it or the company. It is quiet and sufficiently cools the v-berth and dinette areas of my Trojan 10.8 meter. I have never been to their location but they do have the feel of a small outfit. I was in Maryland when I had to order it and they shipped it to me prompltly and I installed with no issues.

It was approximately 1 1/2 to 2 years ago I put in my Mabru. I've never tested the amp draw. All I can tell you is I have had no issues with it or the company. It is quiet and sufficiently cools the v-berth and dinette areas of my Trojan 10.8 meter. I have never been to their location but they do have the feel of a small outfit. I was in Maryland when I had to order it and they shipped it to me prompltly and I installed with no issues.

Thanks; I appreciate it.

The O'Kelly's recently did a video about their new Mabru:

Good tutorial, most of which applies to the 115V models as well. Thank heaven they’re half the cost of the DC gear. Thanks!

Just occured to me. It may have been coincidence, but I noticed that the reverse cycle heating feature provided heat beyond the point where my previous cruisair unit would be unuseable. Fortunately I do not need that feature any more. :dance:

We replaced the original 16k marineair unit in the salon of our 40' Mainship with a 12k Mabru unit and could not be more satisfied. The last two years in the Keys it has cooled as the larger Marinair never could, and a few weeks ago on a trip to Sebastian we used the heat function for the first time. It would drive you out of the boat within 10 minutes if left on.

We replaced the original 16k marineair unit in the salon of our 40' Mainship with a 12k Mabru unit and could not be more satisfied. The last two years in the Keys it has cooled as the larger Marinair never could, and a few weeks ago on a trip to Sebastian we used the heat function for the first time. It would drive you out of the boat within 10 minutes if left on.

Thanks. How would you describe the noise level?

Have you, by chance, measured the energy draw (amperage) of your unit? If so, is it close to what Marbu claims?

Jim

Sorry guys, I have never measured amperage used on the unit. It did however run fine on my failed experiment to utilize a Honda 2k generator instead of replacing our old diesel genset.
The noise level is extremely quiet, basically the sound of air being blown by the fan. Our unit sits underneath an enclosed seat in the dining area in the salon, original cooling pump is more noticeable.
Saw the post regarding Maribu' s 12-volt system, may have to look at that to replace existing 6k Webasto FCF unit in the forepeak, which is somewhat noisy for such a small unit, plus would love to have a/c overnight w/o running the genset. New 4.5k Phasor genset is quiet, I just don't sleep well with it running, old school thing, I guess.

Don't know much about Mabru, but we installed a 16,000 btu CTM unit last year around this time, and we've been happy with it. Quieter than the Dometic DTU it replaced, and easy to install. Hooked right up to the old Dometic cables and control.

Customer service was knowledgeable and helpful throughout the install as well.

Last edited:
Last summer I replace my 1600BTU Mermaid and a Mase 4.0 generator with the Mabru 1200 BTU unit and 2 Iron Phosphate 12V/250AH batteries.
Results: I am VERY HAPPY ! No more noisy generator, smaller AC unit cooling better than the Mermaid. I can get 10 hrs with the batteries. Customer service: A+

We have installed several of the DC units on our customer's boat. They work great and are extremely quiet. The actual current the units draw is significantly less than they advertise. I believe the specs for current the list are just startup voltage.

I finished installing my 10k BTU unit in March, 3 years ago. I sleep with my
head separated from the unit by 1/4" plywood and 1" of SoundDown insulation.
This unit replaced a 15k CruiseAir , the air handler and intake is where the
Mabru unit is installed. I had to sleep at the other end of the bed with the
CruiseAir running. Nick (from Mabru) answered all my questions and made
sure I had everything needed for the installation and care of the unit.
I would make the same choice today.,

Update: 2.5 years in. I no longer recommend Mabru. I was quite happy with the performance of my 12k unit but it has since failed. I brought it in to be checked and was told it had a “massive evaporator failure”. I was told that it leaked because it was not properly supported because of a small point of damage where the evaporator attaches to the frame. This was the same shipping damage it was received with when new and I documented and they assured me it did not affect the serviceability of the unit. Full disclosure there was also corrosion from poor condensate drainage (installation error). However, no evidence yet of leak from this. They offered to repair for 900 or new unit for 2400. I felt they should have been much more accomodating since failure was from documented damage. They refused. And have lost my business.

Back
Top Bottom