View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 08:02 AM   #1
ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Windlass dies, dead lift anchor and chain?

As many have seen in the other thread, I've begun shopping for a replacement anchor because some dufus (PO) seems to have replaced our original inadequate anchor with an even less useful, less adequate anchor...

And then it happens, this time our likely fix will be much heavier than I can usually lift manually.

Our Lofrans vertical windlass has a manual capability, but there's not much leverage available... and while I haven't tried it, I doubt the little twirly winch handle will raise an 80-100 lb anchor with maybe 20' or remaining chain rode to complicate matters...

And, our anchor "crew" is mostly me. I do the launching and recovering, etc, from the bow, and wifey stays at the helm to control the boat.

So... if the windlass craps out for whatever reason... what are likely ways to haul in something heavier than I can easily haul?

Best I've theoretically come up with so far is to add a temporary shackle to the chain rode -- ahead of the windlass and large enough so I can thread a decent line through it -- and then use that line to haul in a few feet of weight. Tie off the line to a cleat somewhere. Go to the windlass and crank in the slack. Repeat until exhausted. Something like that...

Ideas?

-Chris