Interesting small trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many guys like small trawlers, 25-40 feet or so. Turns out a lot of them are made by those clever Norwegians. They're usually aluminum, and apparently very well designed, real tough to ply artic waters around Norway and Iceland. Of course proper heating, including heated windows, and some even the main deck. Well appointed interiors, etc. A lot to like about these Scandinavian beauties.

Attachments

• R (8).jpg
    R (8).jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 116
  • FB_IMG_1642988039727.jpg
    FB_IMG_1642988039727.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 11434884.jpg
    11434884.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 100
They are rather interesting. Doesn’t appear the easiest to get on or off, or tie dock lines. Does that one painted red have indented steps up the hull?

They all have deep drafts. In some close up pics, Ive seen various types of gates, etc. Also, some guy in another group says he's seen guys who have converted them to liveaboards, put in watertight hatches on the stern, just above sea level, for extra access, swimming, etc. Even using those for dinghies.

IMO, in the video it looks like it is about to fall on its face.

Looks hopelessly inefficient as well.
There has to be a legal or tax advantage in the shorter LOA in that region.

Huh? those are "rule beaters" stretched beam fish boats designed because they have been exclude because of length in paticular fisheries.

I assure you, the designer would discourage anyone taking these boats as built for yacht conversions.. They need weight

EU coastal fishing boats are limited by definition to a LOA of 12m.

Norway is not a member of the EU, and they limit thier fleet LOA to <11m.

That why the colourful ads show 10.99m length.

This way it encourages boatbuilding in Norway to service their own fleet.

Clever. But not in the way the OP proposes.

Would Love to view this rig like:
Now that would be a hoot!

Building "rule beating" boats is a common game world wide.

In NYC many dinner cruise boats have the rudder 25 or 30% of the LWL forward of the stern.

The coasties measure from bow to rudder post to size the boat, so captains with smaller licenses can be employed cheaper on the "smaller" boat.

For awhile boatyards would "lay down a keel" on spec.,so they could beat the air police Tier whatever rules for that next hull.

Last edited:
Guys, we know there are all sorts of crazy gov regs on boats. Yet these, and the wide boats in Alaskan waters, actually manage to moror about . And apparently those clever Norwegians figured out how to make them safe. In other groyps, naval architects have trstified that thae can be, and are converted to long distance cruiser, and we have seen examples of such. My OP points out these new ones people have told me about. Would you rather be in one of these tough, artic proofed boats when you round the horn, or your 30' plastic boat?

They are not leisure boats. When they return to the fish dock to unload there will be hands to take the lines. Ditto on/off, steps available.
The design, while being weatherproof and warm, leaves a lot to be desired for leisure use.

They are not leisure boats. When they return to the fish dock to unload there will be hands to take the lines. Ditto on/off, steps available.
The design, while being weatherproof and warm, leaves a lot to be desired for leisure use.

Neither were all the other sorts of workboays that have been converted to liveaboard cruisers. And they are already well appointed re the cabins, galleys, etc. Would you rather round the horn, do the northwest passage in one of these, or the flimsy plastic boats so many people have?

Neither were all the other sorts of workboays that have been converted to liveaboard cruisers. And they are already well appointed re the cabins, galleys, etc. Would you rather round the horn, do the northwest passage in one of these, or the flimsy plastic boats so many people have?

I certainly would not "round the horn, do the northwest passage" in the very low aspect ratio commercial near coastal trawler depicted in the OP. I'll chose a properly designed for the mission GRP boat over the 'mini' trawler...no question.

if those are the choices, neither one. granted, those fishing rigs are built to use in the north sea, but i bet they watch the weather pretty closely. and i've been in some pretty tough water in alaska, i don't think those would have a comfortable ride when things get sloppy.
and fuel efficient? i doubt it judging by the size of the gear.
i think there would be lot of better choices for an expedition type vessel.

Aren't Florida Coasters kinda doing the same thing?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 461
if those are the choices, neither one. granted, those fishing rigs are built to use in the north sea, but i bet they watch the weather pretty closely. and i've been in some pretty tough water in alaska, i don't think those would have a comfortable ride when things get sloppy.
and fuel efficient? i doubt it judging by the size of the gear.
i think there would be lot of better choices for an expedition type vessel.

So you admit they were buit for the north sea and Icelandic waters, but you cant decide if you 'd rather round the horn with one, as opposed to a flimsy plastic boat? How about in alaska, as compared to the Fred Wahl 'famous 58s'...2:1 ratio? And nobody mentioned fuel efficiency, but they wouldnt take much at 5kts.

Aren't Florida Coasters kinda doing the same thing?

Yes....and no....the name "Florida Coaster" says a lot. Not for rounding distant capes.

Even the designer discusses the basic hull shape designed for relatively protected waters but the beam does help with initial stability. There's another hull design that has a wide relatively shallow draft hull with small twin engines that's become popular...but I never heard of one of those owners discuss rounding the horn.

Having been there several times...not sure I want to do the "Horn" in any "boat"... just rather large ships. But as been said...much better a solid, capable plastic boat than a rule beating fishboat.

Why is fishing one of the most dangerous professions? One reason is captains often ignore the weather limitations of their boats and never return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes....and no....the name "Florida Coaster" says a lot. Not for rounding distant capes.

Even the designer discusses the basic hull shape designed for relatively protected waters but the beam does help with initial stability. There's another hull design that has a wide relatively shallow draft hull with small twin engines that's become popular...but I never heard of one of those owners discuss rounding the horn.

Having been there several times...not sure I want to do the "Horn" in any "boat"... just rather large ships. But as been said...much better a solid, capable plastic boat than a rule beating fishboat.

Why is fishing one of the most dangerous professions? One reason is captains often ignore the weather limitations of their boats and never return.

Designed for North Sea, Baltic Sea, north atlantic, up to Spitzbergen, etc. Heavily strenghtened, heavily insulated, heated windows, some even heated decks, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Designed for North Sea, Baltic Sea, north atlantic, up to Spitzbergen, etc. Heavily strenghtened, heavily insulated, heated windows, some even heated decks, etc.

Kinda like saying boats out of New Jersey, USA are familiar with the North Atlantic.

Just because they operate there doesnt mean they can operate there safely or comfortably in all weathers.

Did you see my oist on commercial fishermen Nd kniw how many I had to search for and never found? Or even just how many I had to help save?....all from boats suited for their fishing grounds but not necessarily THAT day?

I think there is a grave misunderstanding between a coastal fishing boat and an offshore fishing boat.

Newfoundland has more coastal fishing boats than Norway without the benefit of the coastal archipelago.

What do you think of those vessels?

I did notice the video in the OP showed that bubble of a vessel underway in only flat, protected waters... would love to see one in 40 footers rounding Cape Horn. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It should...many think its cool and their boat is "tough"...etc...etc...

Right up until you have a fire onboard or a steering casualty and doing anything aboard is nearly impossible and now your survival chances dwindle rapidly.

Been there done that... went Pole to Pole in WWII vintage icebreakers that needed more overhauls than the assigned trips.

The OP doesn't get it, never will based on his typical responses.

It must have been particularly difficult to get to the South Pole on an icebreaker of any vintage ;-) .

Always one....... :rolleyes:

Point was...nobody's comin' to save you in places like that...... ;)

Ignoring the OP's wind up posts for a moment, imagine is someone did try to take that around the Horn.
Is there a record for the most 360 rollovers?
Come to think of it that design would probably rotate faster pitchpoling than rolling.
You would just get beaten to death flying around the wheelhouse.

I certainly would not "round the horn, do the northwest passage" in the very low aspect ratio commercial near coastal trawler depicted in the OP. I'll chose a properly designed for the mission GRP boat over the 'mini' trawler...no question.

You guys obviosly have no idea about the sea conditions found around Iceland. The North Atlantic/North Sea in that area is serious stuff.
Icelanders have made a boat suitable for their conditions. Dissing the design after looking at a picture is perhaps premature.

My previous post re 'they are not leisure vessels' was to address specific points previously made re high freeboard, mooring lines etc.

Last edited:
Do you have an idea of the conditions found around Cape Horn? :whistling:

Besides..... that is not the issure...a coastal fishing boat though well found doesn't make it a suitable open water cruiser/circumnavigator. :banghead:

True, without seeing a bunch of data or realistic sea trials, knowing exactly how the vessel would perform is only an educated guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom