Adding cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdresdner

Vessel Name
Sleeko
Vessel Make
2003 Grand Banks Europa 52
I need to add a back down camera to my Grand Banks Europa trawler for single handed docking. Extremely difficult getting wires from my electronics crib (which has wired video feeds to upper and lower helm Raymarine chart plotters) to a rearward location. I’d much prefer to view camera feed on the existing Raymarine(s) then on yet another device.

Anyone have success with a local network and Bluetooth compatible cameras feeding my phone or any iPad or tablet or best yet integrating to my Raymarine plotters? One other question would be how long do batteries in Bluetooth compatible cameras typically stay charged?

I had a similar problem after I moved the boat from Portland, OR to SF Bay. I have a 23ft2in beam power catamaran and back into a 28ft wide slip. I found most off the shelf wifi cameras had too much latency (delay) to be useful. I found these cameras and added the necessary battery and changing circuits. I velcro them to the outside rails when I am coming in to dock and they work great. I use several other ESP32 boards to transmit data via SignalK already, so it was not too much trouble to get them working.

https://www.instructables.com/Getting-Started-With-ESP32-CAM-Streaming-Video-Usi/

Attachments

• 20211023_161440.jpg
    20211023_161440.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 60
Thanks for the feedback. you are clearly more trchnilogically savy than I am!

Take a look at Wyze wireless outdoor cams—$59 and drop dead easy to set up and operate. Battery operated and they can link directly to a phone or tablet, avoiding the base station. Not sure about latency, but other Wyze cams I run on WiFi have maybe a one-second delay. I’ll be using an articulating mount with a clamp that will allow me to move the cam to wherever I need it.

anguss99 - Am I missing something? It looks like the Wyze cam either needs a internet connection via WIFI or you need to change the firmware to RTSP and connect to it via a onboard WIFI router with some video software such as VLC.

anguss99 - Am I missing something? It looks like the Wyze cam either needs a internet connection via WIFI or you need to change the firmware to RTSP and connect to it via a onboard WIFI router with some video software such as VLC.

My understanding is that the Wyze Outdoor Cam has a “travel mode,” which can be connected directly to your mobile devices and does not require an internet connection to operate. (It does, however, require an internet connection to set up.) We maintain a WiFi network on board as long as we’re in cell range and, as I plan to use this mostly for docking, WiFi shouldn’t be a consideration for us. At least that’s how I read this.

https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038031831-Travel-Mode

We have a WIFI network on board that connects to the marina WIFI system when we are in our home port and use Wyze cams for monitoring the boat.

Wyze has never been good at clearly describing there products. In reading about there "travel mode" function I'm not sure it will work as you describe. They say "Travel Mode records motion & time-lapse videos locally to a MicroSD card for when you’re without an internet connection or base station." I think this is more like a game camera function then a live viewing WIFI camera.

I'd be interested if you get this up and running as a live camera without an internet connection.

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html#pageDetails

Pretty much all the MFD's out there (Raymarine included) want you to use their "crappy" WAY OVERPRICED cameras. The camera tech they are using is for cams 7-10 years ago (1-3MP) and they cost around $400-$500 vs. 8K capable cams for ~$50-$100... :(

As far as I know Raymarine still doesn't enable the use of wifi/wireless cams on their network. I've heard it has to do with the limited network capabilities (amount of data that can travel across their network).

That all being said, there are some "work-arounds"... :)

Here's a link to Panbo. There's quite a few people testing various options on cam integrations (me included).

https://panbo.com/broad-ip-camera-support-a-raymarine-advantage/

For a "simple solution" and something I have found to be a great add-on, I have added a Reolink PTZ camera wifi w/ a solar charging panel <$150 total. I have mine mounted high on my radar arch. I have 360° visibility 24/7 day/night. I do have a wifi network on the boat so I can also view when away. Besides the SUPER SIMPLE install, no wire to run, just mount and GO... I have really liked the ability to check on things at the boat when I am not there. I have even used it a few times at night while moving. It's got night vision and with it being up so high, gives me pretty good visibility of "stuff/logs" in the water and the IR reflects off unmarked buoys as well... :) I also like the fact I can be laying in bed and do a 360° check of the boat from my phone/iPad...

If you want to get a bit more in-depth and technical, you can add cams to your Raymarine, they just have to fall within their specs. This week I have added 4 cams in my engine room and adding cams to the cockpit area (generator). Simple little TP-Link ~$20 8 port switch to connect them all into the Raymarine network.

1st pic is the Reolink (not on Raymarine) but visible on everything/everywhere else...

The rest are all ~$50 IP cams I am connecting in. LOL, please excuse the mess, still in the process of installing everything... :)

Attachments

• Video input sources for MFD's using LightHouse II and LightHouse 3.pdf
    159.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20220119-100716_Reolink.jpg
    Screenshot_20220119-100716_Reolink.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220114_181419.jpg
    20220114_181419.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220114_181414.jpg
    20220114_181414.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220114_181309.jpg
    20220114_181309.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220114_181347.jpg
    20220114_181347.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220114_145917.jpg
    20220114_145917.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 42
Scottwb, many thanks for the comments on Reolink as I have been looking at their PTZ also. Do you happen to know if it has a mirror image mode, which would let it be used like a “conventional” backup camera?
And FWIW, the Wyze Outdoor Cam does not have that capability (mirroring display, that is), just in case someone else was thinking along those lines.

Many thanks! If the latency is within bounds, that may be the way to go.

We have a WIFI network on board that connects to the marina WIFI system when we are in our home port and use Wyze cams for monitoring the boat.

We do likewise when we have decent marina WiFi. Otherwise, our Peplink router pulls from cell towers and we (usually) have WiFi underway. When underway, I only want the outdoor cam for docking and rear viewing when we’re at the lower helm.

Wyze has never been good at clearly describing there products. In reading about there "travel mode" function I'm not sure it will work as you describe. They say "Travel Mode records motion & time-lapse videos locally to a MicroSD card for when you’re without an internet connection or base station." I think this is more like a game camera function then a live viewing WIFI camera.

I'd be interested if you get this up and running as a live camera without an internet connection.

I’m installing an outdoor cam at home today—where we’ll normally use the base station/WiFi. Not sure why the instructions for travel mode would have me pair it to my mobile device, but it’s certainly possible I misread. I’ll try the travel mode in the next day or two and will post what I learn.

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html#pageDetails[/QUOTE]

Well, I won’t get to test mine today, but here’s a tutorial that shows the camera connecting directly to the phone without an internet connection. (Config starts at 02:00.) Latency looks to be about one second, which should work fine for us.

https://youtu.be/TPUoXeBD4g4

I was able to test the Wyze Outdoor cam in travel mode today and it works exactly as described: no internet connection required. I paired it directly with my iPad (home WiFi turned off) and am very pleased with the image quality and latency which, typically, is one second or less.

Attachments

• 9E51E2DD-98EB-4029-9E1A-5287A3E024A9.jpg
    9E51E2DD-98EB-4029-9E1A-5287A3E024A9.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 33
Does the Wyze outdoor support external power from solar? Or is it just internal battery only?

I have some Blink outdoor cams and their latency would not make them ideal for backup camera purposes. They're great for monitoring but not fast enough for live viewing for maneuvering.

Turns out that the Blink outdoor cams also do not support a mirrored display, which further sours their use for backup.

Does the Wyze outdoor support external power from solar? Or is it just internal battery only?

I have some Blink outdoor cams and their latency would not make them ideal for backup camera purposes. They're great for monitoring but not fast enough for live viewing for maneuvering.

Internal battery, but I’m sure a solar USB charger could be adapted. Also, the cam is held to the base magnetically, so removing it to charge is a snap. The one-sec +/- latency* doesn’t look like it will be a problem for us—hopefully I won’t be moving fast enough around any structure that it would matter.

*occasionally it can be a couple of seconds, but closing and reopening the app gets me back to one second.

Internal battery, but I’m sure a solar USB charger could be adapted.

Some have support on the lid/door/cover to allow for a 'weather tight' connection to be made, I checked the Wyze page for it and it wasn't clear if that was supported or not. There is an accessory cable listed, but I don't know how well that 'seals' with the camera.

I installed 4 of these cameras over the past couple of years:

https://www.amazon.com/Foscam-1080P-Outdoor-Security-Camera/dp/B011US2ADK

There are newer ones available now, but I've been happy with them. I did wire 12v power to each from a switch panel at the helm to turn them on/off. I've got forward, aft, cockpit, and engine room. I don't really need the aft camera backing up, but I use it to keep an eye on what is coming up behind me. Typically I split screen the aft camera with a nav app running on a tablet.

A bit more than was asked, but since installing I've set-up a raspberry pi to capture the video while underway and to store images. It's nice when we away from the boat to see what is happing around the boat, especially in bad weather.

I put together a time-lapse of a sunset from the foward camera a few days ago: https://youtu.be/raDlSJk-KOw

-Mark
m/v Positive Latitude
Mainship 430

Some have support on the lid/door/cover to allow for a 'weather tight' connection to be made, I checked the Wyze page for it and it wasn't clear if that was supported or not. There is an accessory cable listed, but I don't know how well that 'seals' with the camera.

It doesn’t seal weather-tight when the cable is connected, but does when the cable is removed. I’m guessing the cam will need recharging after a couple days’ constant use. This works fine for me since we’ll only use it while docking or piloting from the lower helm. I have a clamp-on arm to move it from place to place and will not mount it permanently anywhere.

Attachments

• 3FA8E0A1-ED4B-45AC-8E27-0074811C9B2E.jpg
    3FA8E0A1-ED4B-45AC-8E27-0074811C9B2E.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 20
Camera

I use. A small Garmin monitor with wireless backup camera wired to a 12v switch. Inexpensive and effective with no latency.

Wyze CAM v3 - Night Navigation

In addition to the Wyze "Outdoor" CAMs, that have the rechargeable battery in them, Wyze makes a CAM v3 which requires a USB power connection to operate. I have two permanently mounted on our boat, one facing forward, and one facing aft. As one post already pointed out, a camera or display that can do a left-right mirror image flip would be very desirable, as a boat overtaking me on my port side, shows up on the right side of my iPad display at the helm! Sorry. Not very intuitive for your backup camera use case!

However,
One thing NOT yet mentioned in this post is the "low light" feature of the Wyze CAM v3. These two blog posts show two different times we found the low light feature to be very helpful underway at night.

https://shellerina.com/2021/10/26/night-time/

https://shellerina.com/2021/10/15/low-light-cameras-help/

These also come in handy to bring USB power to the right places on the boat:
Scanstrut ROKK Charging USB socket Available at Crutchfield and other places online, including Amazon.

I got it confirmed that the Wyze "Outdoor" Cameras do not have this same amazing low light feature as the CAM v3. (Something that was not 100% clear when the "Outdoor" camera came out.)

Backup camera

I need to add a back down camera to my Grand Banks Europa trawler for single handed docking. Extremely difficult getting wires from my electronics crib (which has wired video feeds to upper and lower helm Raymarine chart plotters) to a rearward location. I’d much prefer to view camera feed on the existing Raymarine(s) then on yet another device.

Anyone have success with a local network and Bluetooth compatible cameras feeding my phone or any iPad or tablet or best yet integrating to my Raymarine plotters? One other question would be how long do batteries in Bluetooth compatible cameras typically stay charged?

You see about killing two birds with one stone by looking in to a ding security camera.

Last edited:
Ding security camera.

Back-Up Camera

We went to Costco and bought a automotive back-up camera - built into a license plate surround with built-in solar cells. The receiver is about the size of a smart phone and plugs into a 12V cigarette lighter. We attach the camera to the rail around the upper deck/flybridge with two hook-and-loop straps; when in port we put the unit inside the pilothouse up under the forward ports so it’s in the sun and can recharge. We also find the camera useful for when we’re helming from the pilothouse to watch for overtaking traffic.

Spend the money and get a proper fit for purpose marine camera. The cheap Chinese camera systems are designed for security not active situations like backing down (delays and reversed images on your display). The potential for confusion and damage will cost far more than a decent marine camera. And it’s an investment - Unlike a cheap camera in a marine environment 5 years later it will still be working .

Last edited:
angus99 is the photo you're showing from a live stream or from a recording from the SD card?

angus99 is the photo you're showing from a live stream or from a recording from the SD card?

The photo in post 14 is a grab from livestream. I don’t have an SD card loaded yet. Still haven’t been able to try the cam out on the boat.

Dear Scottwb96. Thank you for the detailed explanation. I would like to connect one camera with an ethernet cable to my Raymarine Axiom chartplotter. Which camera could I take? Second question: how am I going to see the camera image on the Raymarine chartplotter? Is there a cameraApp for that? Can I easily switch between navigation map and camera? Thank you in advance for your suggestions! Best regards Jan from the Netherlands

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom