looks like Canada cancelled all nexus appointments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Got an email my nexus appointment has been cancelled. They said all appointments are being cancelled and to check back later.

What is a Nexus appointment, just for the uninitiated - like me for instance..? :)

Nexus is a secret society of cross border travelers that can mostly travel between Canada and the USA with mostly a wave and a smile, trusted travelers pre screened. With a boat you phone in your intentions and have a nice day.

Wasn't that done in December already?
Maybe the backlog is such they are just getting to you now.
Edit...
Yeah, here it is; "DECEMBER 17, 2021...the CBSA will again temporarily suspend NEXUS interviews at enrolment centres in the United States starting Monday, December 20, 2021 until further notice."

What gets me is even if they are eliminating travel again across the border wouldn't it make sense to keep up with the backlog of applicants so when the border does open at some time there wont be so large a backlog.They can do the zoom interviews. Just seems nuts to ignore there will be an end to this madness or perhaps they dont want it to end.

Wasn't that done in December already?
Maybe the backlog is such they are just getting to you now.
Edit...
Yeah, here it is; "DECEMBER 17, 2021...the CBSA will again temporarily suspend NEXUS interviews at enrolment centres in the United States starting Monday, December 20, 2021 until further notice."

I received an email warning of that back in September and suggested to renew early, which I did and have the new card. No interview, however recent emails are confusing since it says interviews postponed indefinitely, but I have not re interviewed since original registration, so not sure it these emails are for renewals too.
New candidates are on hold until they open again.

I received an email warning of that back in September and suggested to renew early.
Yup.

NOVEMBER 16, 2021; Existing NEXUS members who renew their membership before the expiry date printed on their card will retain their membership privileges for a 24 months grace period beyond their scheduled expiration. Therefore, please apply to renew your NEXUS membership before it expires.

my wifes interview was on the day and she hasn't got an email yet but like you say they have already shut it down the are just slow at notifying. I wish i would have caught the news. We usually go south in the winter but cancelled our plans so we would be here for the interviews .Did use the time for boat work though.

Technically, they have not announced that either the US or Canada is closing the border. They have announced that they are suspending all nexus INTERVIEWS. This also doesn't mean you can't travel to Canada. It simply means you must follow the normal process, rather than a phone call and a thank you.

Let's not blow this out of proportion.

Shrew; said:
Technically, they have not announced that either the US or Canada is closing the border. They have announced that they are suspending all nexus INTERVIEWS. This also doesn't mean you can't travel to Canada. It simply means you must follow the normal process, rather than a phone call and a thank you.

Exactly and I’m glad you point this out. How many cross border travelers use Nexus anyway? This has more to do with (covid) human contact and staffing, than anything else.

Shrew; said:
Let's not blow this out of proportion.
Well that’s what happens when people spend their day scouring the internet for headlines and don’t actually read the content. Or worse, leave the research and reality for others to post.

The delay in contacting pass holders should also be acceptable, how often on here do we read about the slowness of bureaucracy? And it WAS announced well in advance.

The Nexus program survives. It is the application for a Nexus pass from someone not yet in the program that was suspended early in Covid that has again been shelved, indefinitely. It is all about human contact for that interview, a very important step in the process, that won't be resuming any time soon.

The Nexus program survives. It is the application for a Nexus pass from someone not yet in the program that was suspended early in Covid that has again been shelved, indefinitely. It is all about human contact for that interview, a very important step in the process, that won't be resuming any time soon.
:thumb:

It will be interesting to see if NEXUS will be shut down altogether this coming summer. Last summer NEXUS cards were not accepted.

I renewed my nexus just when covid started, did not need an appointment but was informed that they closed any appointment and postponed them and gave a year of extension because request processing was slower.
If nexus was not accepted last summer it was certainly because border was closed.

L

Alaskan Sea-Duction; said:
Last summer NEXUS cards were not accepted.
When you cleared Customs northbound last year, did CBSA remove anything from your boat?

Nope. We were good.

I asked because, with the land borders closed, there were a number of landlubbers staffing the marine border.

Some didn't understand boat travel on our coast and so were a little overzealous.

Potatoes were a frequent target, leading me to think some of the agents were from PQ and into poutine.

I asked because, with the land borders closed, there were a number of landlubbers staffing the marine border.

Some didn't understand boat travel on our coast and so were a little overzealous.

Potatoes were a frequent target, leading me to think some of the agents were from PQ and into poutine.
The Admiral does a good job looking at the rules and making sure we were in compliance. Last year anything with seeds were not allowed. She leaves her priced Orchie at the plant sitters.

The one thing they did hit us hard on was firearms. They asked us several times if we had any firearms on board.

1. Do you have any firearms on board?

2. Do you have any ammo on board?

3. Do you have any firearms cleaning products on board? (Good thing I threw the cleaning patches over)

4. Do you own firearms?

5. Specifically which firearms do you own.

6. Where do you store your firearms?

7. Do you have any firearms training?

8. Do you have any concealed weapons permits. Which States?

They then again asked me if I had any firearms? Do you understand what will happen if we find firearms?? Last chance!

I have taken firearms across when traveling to Alaska by road. Just long guns. No pistols.

I do have a nice ss 410 shotgun that I would like to take to shoot the big halibut, but it's just too much of a PIA. As NEXUS holders, I like the fact of just calling in. With a shotgun on board, reporting to a land base border station is required.

So we just leave it at home.

In years past I've had potatoes taken off at Sidney. They were Idaho spuds. So I walked up the road and bought more Idaho spuds.

The Admiral does a good job looking at the rules and making sure we were in compliance. Last year anything with seeds were not allowed. She leaves her priced Orchie at the plant sitters.

The one thing they did hit us hard on was firearms. They asked us several times if we had any firearms on board.

1. Do you have any firearms on board?

2. Do you have any ammo on board?

3. Do you have any firearms cleaning products on board? (Good thing I threw the cleaning patches over)

4. Do you own firearms?

5. Specifically which firearms do you own.

6. Where do you store your firearms?

7. Do you have any firearms training?

8. Do you have any concealed weapons permits. Which States?

They then again asked me if I had any firearms? Do you understand what will happen if we find firearms?? Last chance!

I have taken firearms across when traveling to Alaska by road. Just long guns. No pistols.

I do have a nice ss 410 shotgun that I would like to take to shoot the big halibut, but it's just too much of a PIA. As NEXUS holders, I like the fact of just calling in. With a shotgun on board, reporting to a land base border station is required.

So we just leave it at home.
I've had a similar experience. They also asked about drugs. Repeated the full set of questions 3 times then said "Last chance. Do you want to change any of your answers?". When I declined to change answers they conducted a thorough search. I don't want to imply that was a typical border clearance. Usually it is quite smooth and straightforward.

While asking if you have firearms or ammo aboard is within their rights, the questions about whether you own firearms, have training, or a concealed carry permit in the US seems downright creepy. What possible business is it of Canada what you do solely in the USA? This has some deeply disturbing overtones and one assumes they're sharing data with and getting data from the US. I assume that they're aware that criminals don't permit weapons and would lie anyway.

Going to canada from seattle to see relatives has always been easy but just before covid we went up with the motorhome for a few days and had trouble getting back into the states. I have air brakes and was told to turn off the engine but not to engage the spring brakes likely because they dont like the sound. He kept asking me questions about what the rig cost and what i did for a living to afford it. As time went on the air pressure kept going down since i had the brake pedal pushed. At around 60 psi the spring brakes automatically went off as designed. This caused the guy to get pissed off and ask us to get out of the rig while they detained us for an hour or so with the rig still blocking the lane and them trying to direct traffic. Just a total joke. Going into canada they are happy to have us and very accommodating at the boarder. Getting nexus for me was not to get into canada easy it was to get back.

I've always found US customs more of a pain. Each year they seem to choose which US sourced vegetable that can't re-cross back into the US. One year they yelled at us because my son jumped off to help with the lines in a 40' single screw. They threatened a $50,000 fine. Really? They certainly weren't helping with the lines and landing a 40' single is much easier if a young person can jump ashore, but don't dare do it near a customers person. Just plain inane.

While asking if you have firearms or ammo aboard is within their rights, the questions about whether you own firearms, have training, or a concealed carry permit in the US seems downright creepy. What possible business is it of Canada what you do solely in the USA? This has some deeply disturbing overtones and one assumes they're sharing data with and getting data from the US. I assume that they're aware that criminals don't permit weapons and would lie anyway.

Why is it disturbing? This isn’t the state line between Washington and Idaho. They don’t have to let you in.

And yes there is a tremendous amount of data shared between law enforcement in both countries. Much of which I’m aware of from working before retirement, some of which I’m probably not.

And I agree, despite still being a little sore about being busted by them for untaxed bear spray back in 1999* [emoji6] I would take Canadian Border Services every day of the week and twice on Sunday compared to USCBP.

*sore because, like the anecdote about potatoes above, I continued my drive to Waterton and bought the same brand and size that they had just confiscated.

Last edited:
Slowmo; said:
While asking if you have firearms or ammo aboard is within their rights, the questions about whether you own firearms, have training, or a concealed carry permit in the US seems downright creepy. What possible business is it of Canada what you do solely in the USA? This has some deeply disturbing overtones and one assumes they're sharing data with and getting data from the US.

Downright creepy? Really?
Are you naïve or just didn’t think this through?

They also ask if you have ever smoked weed. Not ok?
Pretty much any question they ask is related to things done solely in the US.

Would your exceptionalism lead you to believe they shouldn’t be allowed to ask about (pick a crime) done solely in the US? Would you say anyone entering your country, from anywhere south of the US, should be exempt from the same questions by CBP?

CBSA, as with any country’s border agents, can ask any question they like and you have every right to tell them it’s none of their business. More often than not, the question and answer are not meaningful. How you answer, is.

More than once I’ve had border agents in both directions ask about my motorcycle or boat for purely personal reasons, unrelated to travel, just because they had a similar interest.

And yes. Huge amounts of data are shared. They might know more about you than your family does and that works going both ways.

They might even have your Facebook open before you come to a full stop at the booth.

Last edited:

With only a tiny bit of training in cross examination (I hope they get more than a tiny bit) the border agents will only be interested in you when your answers are "interesting" to them. It is those interesting answers that will generate the next question, then the next.......

As for data sharing, they have never stared at their screen while I have waited, long enough for even a speed reader to see more than just what my license plate number will bring up about my history of contact with authorities in the country I am entering. If, as a result of "interesting" answers, you get moved to the parking area and need to go inside, they have time to look further, but do they?

When I have gone inside (never for a secondary inspection) it was always clear to me that the agent inside had not looked at even what the guy outside had time to see.

I am not concerned about that level of interrogation.

Must say some nice things about US border guys.
We were clearing customs at the airport and I could tell this guy was a newb the way the other two observed him before it was my turn. Got the wand and then the pat down. Then have a seat and take off the shoes. (I have Nexus) I knew he was going through the motions. So he proceeds to feel, not pat my foot, going so far as a gentle massage.

He then stops and starts to get up from one knee and I said wait, you missed a spot. That felt good, can you do it some more. He was shocked but the other two guys could not hold the laughter back.

Don't get me wrong, I have lots of respect for both sides. Regarding firearms, it's their job to ask and didn't bother me. The above was just my experience at the dock. Love NEXUS.

The last couple of years when crossing back to the U.S. I was asked for my LAT/LONG.

... Would your exceptionalism lead you to believe they shouldn’t be allowed to ask about (pick a crime) done solely in the US? Would you say anyone entering your country, from anywhere south of the US, should be exempt from the same questions by CBP?

CBSA, as with any country’s border agents, can ask any question they like and you have every right to tell them it’s none of their business. More often than not, the question and answer are not meaningful. How you answer, is.

Have a DUI on your record? Good chance Canada won't let you in.

FWIW, I've always had a harder time with USCBP getting back into the US, than entering Canada.

Regarding NEXUS. We have been preliminarily approved for NEXUS pending our interview. The interview was cancelled due to Covid last year. We have continued to try to maintain contact for an interview but, about a month ago we received an email that our application has been cancelled. Have not been successful contacting a human and emails have gone unanswered.

Back
Top Bottom