Old 01-24-2022, 06:43 AM   #12
Iggy
Guru

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Winners!

Steve, LiFePo4 is not a drop in technology. A proper install would entail a revamp of the charging system (alternator(s), chargers, and wiring) to take advantage of the charging requirements for the lithium bank. Your current setup is not sufficient.

We made the change last year, from 600aH of AGM to 600aH of lithium for the house bank. The start bank remains 1 8D per engine. Along with the batteries, the following changes were made:
  • removal of the house bank (40A) and start bank (20A) chargers, and a 2000W standalone inverter. All were replaced with a Victron Quattro inverter/charger feeding only the house bank. A Victron DC-DC charger feeds the start bank from the house bank. shorepower AC and the generator output feed into the Quattro.
  • removal of the stock 55A alternators, replaced with 2 Lee-Niceville 105A externally regulated alternators, controlled by Wakespeed WS500 regulators. The alternators feed the house bank.
  • installation of the Victron Lynx distribution system to manage the house bank and feed DC to the Quattro.
  • all DC wiring replaced, properly sized, lugged, and fused.

There a whole lot more to it, and i plan on posting a complete description with photos shortly. One major benefit is that we no longer worry about transferring loads (shorepower to genset), as the Quattro does it all automatically. Also, using the Victron Cerrbo GX, I can monitor/manage my power systems from anywhere in the world.

So, plan your install, then execute.
Yep, to the above.

I to am changing over as soon as spring hits. Too cold out right now! I have been reading and talking to the manufacturer that I am buying from.

You may want to upgrade ALT and install a temp sensor. Just in case it over heats. Its cheap insurance!

I am approaching it by separating the Li house bank from the starting bank. By removing the combiner and adding A DC to DC charger from the starting bank to the Li house bank. So the ALT and on-board charger can remain the same. In other words, there charging profiles.

The DC to DC charger can be set up to the new house bank. Once the DC to DC charger seances charging voltage it turns on charging the new house bank. As a VSR or a combiner would.

But the other very important thing is that any set up must meet ABYC standards. Good forbid there is a Ins. claim, the install must be done properly.