Cost of flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Hippocampus
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
Recently bought a Nordic Tug 42. In process of refurbishing to Bristol. Wife doesn’t like carpet. Carpet is in good condition but a hard surface is easier to keep clean especially for sand and doesn’t harbor mold spores or other allergens. She prefers the aesthetic of natural teak and holly which we had on the last boat. I’ve convinced her synthetic is preferable on a boat due to absence of maintenance, durability and non porous surface. The factory option is Amtico (teak)as a upgrade on original build. Boat’s in Deltaville VA at present but documented to R.I. and expect to return to R.I. sometime this early summer. Quote was generated by installer who resides in my home town-Plymouth MA.
Got a quote of $8k to replace all flooring including staitrs, kickboards etc. with Amtico (teak). Quote includes all labor and materials. This will need reconstruction of stairs with some natural teak (not veneer) in places. Gentleman from whom I received quote was said to be “the man” for this job by Wilde (major east coast NT dealer) and other NT owners.

?Does $8k sound like a reasonable quote?
The Amtico product looks really good. Is there anyone anywhere on the US east coast to whom I should ask for another quote?
Is there another product I should consider? Another installer?
Thanks

Last edited:
WE are with you on the carpet question. Especially in the case of LIBRA, the PO had lived aboard her and we really wanted rid of that carpet throughout.
I like teak and I am a fan of wood floors in general, but we already had plenty of teak and holly floor on KLEE WYCK at the time and were acquiring more on DOMINO.

So, after much searching and consideration we went another direction. Probably not most folks cup of tea, and we were nervous to start, but really ended up liking the result and expect it will be quite durable.

This is Acacia and all in cost was 14K.

Attachments

• Libra floor companionway.jpg
    Libra floor companionway.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Libra floor down.jpg
    Libra floor down.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Libra floor up.jpg
    Libra floor up.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Libra floor.jpg
    Libra floor.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 60
klee wyck - is the acacia a pre-cut flooring product? If so, is it free floating, glued, or just the borders glued? It looks good.

I did quite a bit of research on flooring products before doing my install and I couldn't find a wood (or wood-like) product that met my specs and still looked good. I think your acacia flooring looks interesting even though not a traditional sole material.

Hippo,

I estimated a similar sized boat about a year ago and came up with a very similar price.

Rob

klee wyck - is the acacia a pre-cut flooring product? If so, is it free floating, glued, or just the borders glued? It looks good.

I did quite a bit of research on flooring products before doing my install and I couldn't find a wood (or wood-like) product that met my specs and still looked good. I think your acacia flooring looks interesting even though not a traditional sole material.

We chose a residential (as opposed to marine specific) product and installer.
The material is 3/4" thick prefinished real hardwood in 4.75" width and random lengths.
We were obsessive about faring the floor under the installation to dead level and then the wood was groove nailed as it would be in a residence.
In the LIBRA, the floor underneath this wood is high quality plywood over steel stringers. We had to re-screw some of it in order to get perfectly flat before laying the floor.

I've been looking at flooring options to get rid of the carpet in my boat at some point. And unfortunately that probably means getting rid of the teak parquet in the galley, as without carpet in the salon, it just wouldn't look right to have 2 different floors without enough visual divide (the teak in the heads can stay).

$8k doesn't sound out of range for having someone else install it. I haven't found pricing for Amtico yet, but I ballparked Nautikflor as about $1200 in flooring, plus any other supplies needed. And that doesn't account for doing something about the carpeted steps and maybe a few other spots. So I'm thinking I'd probably end up spending an easy $2000 to DIY it by the time I'm all said and done.

Thanks guys.

BTW did our new house in all synthetic to decrease maintenance except for the decks. Aluminum is too hot as is any synthetic underfoot. Don’t like Ipe look but there’s a host of exotic woods as dense and durable as Ipe. We went with a form of balu. Comes with a 50 year guarantee even if not oiled or treated. For looks did oil it with Armstrong-Clarke which you do after a light pressure wash every other year. Friends tell me after three treatments you can go 4-5 years between. Stuff is so dense it absorbs very little. Being hard need to predrill everything and it eats sawblades.

Plantation teak ain’t what it once was.Not nearly as dense. Will dent, split and soak up stain. Need to be real careful with mahogany as well and look real close. Lots of stuff is called mahogany which isn’t. So agree with Klee Wyck. There’s so many excellent choices in natural woods if you just take a look.

Thanks guys.

BTW did our new house in all synthetic to decrease maintenance except for the decks. Aluminum is too hot as is any synthetic underfoot. Don’t like Ipe look but there’s a host of exotic woods as dense and durable as Ipe. We went with a form of balu. Comes with a 50 year guarantee even if not oiled or treated. For looks did oil it with Armstrong-Clarke which you do after a light pressure wash every other year. Friends tell me after three treatments you can go 4-5 years between. Stuff is so dense it absorbs very little. Being hard need to predrill everything and it eats sawblades.

Plantation teak ain’t what it once was.Not nearly as dense. Will dent, split and soak up stain. Need to be real careful with mahogany as well and look real close. Lots of stuff is called mahogany which isn’t. So agree with Klee Wyck. There’s so many excellent choices in natural woods if you just take a look.

Yeah man...you are correct about being hard, predrilling, and eats sawblades. I had to soothe the installer many times over how hard that Acacia was. But that was the point.

Recently bought a Nordic Tug 42. In process of refurbishing to Bristol. Wife doesn’t like carpet. Carpet is in good condition but a hard surface is easier to keep clean especially for sand and doesn’t harbor mold spores or other allergens. She prefers the aesthetic of natural teak and holly which we had on the last boat. I’ve convinced her synthetic is preferable on a boat due to absence of maintenance, durability and non porous surface. The factory option is Amtico (teak)as a upgrade on original build. Boat’s in Deltaville VA at present but documented to R.I. and expect to return to R.I. sometime this early summer. Quote was generated by installer who resides in my home town-Plymouth MA.
Got a quote of $8k to replace all flooring including staitrs, kickboards etc. with Amtico (teak). Quote includes all labor and materials. This will need reconstruction of stairs with some natural teak (not veneer) in places. Gentleman from whom I received quote was said to be “the man” for this job by Wilde (major east coast NT dealer) and other NT owners.

The Amtico product looks really good. Is there anyone anywhere on the US east coast to whom I should ask for another quote?
Thanks

It sounds about right to me. We just recarpeted the interior of our new boat. I ripped out all the old carpet and the installer said I saved $1,500 by doing that. The new carpet was $2,900 installed so it would have been $4,400 for carpeting and installing hardwood or a synthetic would be much more labor intensive.

20-years ago I replaced carpet in my Willard 36 (less than half the size of your N42) with teak parquet. Small space to say the least. Of the 100 12x12 squares installed, exactly 3 went in whole (I. E. no cuts or trim). At the time, I'd guess I had about 50-60 hours in it. Teak alone with $10/sf and this was a long time ago.

I can easily see how this would be an $8k project. Might even be a deal. Lot of work.

Good luck

Peter

Thanks again guys. Going to drop the boat bucks. Find supporting wife’s boat decisions is always worth the price of admission. Want it to always be OUR boat.

Vinyl Plank interlock is getting popular in dirt homes. Anyone consider that for a boat?

I looked at it and actually bought it. But I was going to use C channel to trim the edges. We have a bunch of hatches in the deck and I ultimately decided that there wasn’t a way to get it all to come together at one time. Too many pieces of trim so we went back with carpet.

Thanks again guys. Going to drop the boat bucks. Find supporting wife’s boat decisions is always worth the price of admission. Want it to always be OUR boat.

$8K sounds like a bargain to me, and happy wife is priceless! Good luck and be sure to take before and after pics.

I looked at it and actually bought it. But I was going to use C channel to trim the edges. We have a bunch of hatches in the deck and I ultimately decided that there wasn’t a way to get it all to come together at one time. Too many pieces of trim so we went back with carpet.
I can see C mold would be a pain, did you consider T molding?
I look at the old school parquet and plan for when I cannot find anything else to do.

I did but also decided that the floor would be too busy looking with all the trim. Besides our dog, Radar, for whom the boat is named like carpet best. We have hardwood floors in the house with small carpets by the doors. He will detour across the room to walk 3’ on the carpet instead of the hardwood.

Way back teak and holly was used as no skid , the holly stood slightly proud of the teak seams , it worked.

Today most folks have pretty flush floors so no skid must be added.

Both bartender and gym varnish are no skid when wet.

Way back teak and holly was used as no skid , the holly stood slightly proud of the teak seams , it worked.

Today most folks have pretty flush floors so no skid must be added.

Both bartender and gym varnish are no skid when wet.

Some of the vinyl fake wood options have the grain a little bit exaggerated plus a non-slippery wear layer (like the previously mentioned varnish) for that same reason. The correct coating is definitely a concern with actual wood.

FWIW, the teak parquet floors I have are coated with Cetol Natural Teak and are pretty non-slippery.

Gentleman from whom I received quote was said to be “the man” for this job by Wilde (major east coast NT dealer) and other NT owners.

Thanks

I don't know the region or the gentleman in question, however the price sounds very reasonable in 2022 and in recent years I have really appreciated having the best craftsman for the job, even if they are more expensive. The difference in any price is more than compensated for in the satisfaction I get from a job well done. That plus the fact that having worked on your boat's model previously he will be aware of any idiosyncrasies. So if it were me I would not bother with another quote IF you are confident in Gentleman's work (perhaps ask to see a previous job if you are unsure?).
~A

Besides our dog, Radar, for whom the boat is named like carpet best. We have hardwood floors in the house with small carpets by the doors. He will detour across the room to walk 3’ on the carpet instead of the hardwood.

Agree. Our dogs are in their last couple of years and on wood floors they often splay (falling with their legs out) just due to our home's wood floors. We put a hessian runner on our stairs for this reason and have throw rugs everywhere we can, but the wood still catches them both out. :(
~A

I did but also decided that the floor would be too busy looking with all the trim. Besides our dog, Radar, for whom the boat is named like carpet best. We have hardwood floors in the house with small carpets by the doors. He will detour across the room to walk 3’ on the carpet instead of the hardwood.

Friend with a 61' did the galley floor with vinyl plank. It looks really good. Hatches have completely disappeared. He uses a suction cup to lift them out, but nobody else knows where they are, as there is no trim and the vinyl fits nicely, tight together.

Friend with a 61' did the galley floor with vinyl plank. It looks really good. Hatches have completely disappeared. He uses a suction cup to lift them out, but nobody else knows where they are, as there is no trim and the vinyl fits nicely, tight together.
Did he glue down each plank. Suction cups suggest that

Did he glue down each plank. Suction cups suggest that
I suspect the original hatches had pull rings, so the plank flooring just sat on them until lifted, thus exposing the original pull rings. Been a few years since that was demonstrated for me. Otherwise probably glued down, to ensure no movement. Last time I was aboard, this past summer, all that was more than 5 years old and still looked like new.

A couple of years ago we had Amtico installed on our NT-32. The installed cost was a little over $4k. Given our small footprint, the OP's estimate of $8K for a NT-42, sounds like it's in the right range.

Cheers,

we went w/ synthetic. Maintenance free 20 or 25 year warranty, waterproof, fairly easy DIY install...

I did go back-n-forth (fiancé won this argument) about changing the colors completely or keeping with the "honey colored" walls/theme of the interior... I think the total cost was about ~$500 in materials... :)

Now we just have a "cheap" Costco (throw-away) rug in the main area. Nice in the colder months...

Attachments

• Floors 1.jpg
    Floors 1.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 30
  • Floors 2.jpg
    Floors 2.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 26
I just finished doing a self install in our fwd (master) and side (guest) cabins, about 50 square feet, using Nautikflor. I have a thread posted on it, if you are interested. I spent $650 for materials, including the glue. I would not use their glue again as it comes in a sausage instead of a caulk tube and was kind of messy to work with. I'd go with liquid nails or similar. I trimmed it out with 1.5" teak trim that I had lying around, so that is not included in the $650.00 cost.

Personally, after doing it myself and admittedly being kind of cheap, I would not pay someone to install it. It was time consuming but well within my middle of the road skills and turned out really great.

Flooring

The estimate seems to be very reasonable. We replaced the salon carpet on our Mainship 350 in CT with teak and holly for just about $10k.

Attachments

• 2FEAFD07-8DD1-4582-969F-A7B7E17AB41E.jpg
    2FEAFD07-8DD1-4582-969F-A7B7E17AB41E.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 6E3CDAD6-F6B5-4A28-B510-228655C15B1A.jpg
    6E3CDAD6-F6B5-4A28-B510-228655C15B1A.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 28
Nice job. We did the same but went with synthetic teak since some of it is out in the weather. Great upgrade, money well-spent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom