Of interest to those that single hand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grahamdouglass

Vessel Name
Summer Wind 1
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 41
I came across a YouTube video channel of a Sailor in the Netherlands that single hands a 49' Trawler through the canals and seas of Holland. His boat is well set up and it may be of an interest to those who regularly single hand their vessels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpAMwM1Am9g5bCWCY01lJ4g

I sent him a link to this forum

Last edited:
I was just watching his videos last night. Very interesting and was impressed with how his boat is set up

Interesting for sure. I watched his first video and I was surprised when he was leaving the dock, how little he used his bow thruster, and how he seemed to sit for a very long time in what seemed to me to be a vulnerable position at an angle.

Easy to criticize I know, I’m one season into a Mainship 390 and am only a total $hit show about half the time lol, but when I use the thruster I tend to “get on it” and move the boat before something else moves me.

I question his offshore experience. That boat was in no way secured for sea. He learned a lesson I hope.

No need to secure for sea if not going there...maybe they don't get big wakes there. But when I run the ICW, it's not the same as going to sea.

People are amazed when I dock solo, that I walk around the boat while it is moving (engine not engaged) and how slow or long I sit checking things out before I return to the wheelhouse....its just experience.

I question his offshore experience. That boat was in no way secured for sea. He learned a lesson I hope.

Agreed. I only watched one video where his helm seat was a high chair on wheels! Then he gets into a little swell (not breaking) and his seat is careening back and forth. Who would have guessed? And the sound track has crashing "housewares" in the back ground. Maybe the video is intended as sarcasm? It is the vessel Lady Lies Alot?

Ooops...guess I should have watched...but I generally don't watch suggested videos as few are really useful to me.

Sorry.....

Hi,

He doesn’t have to move off shore. The EU Inland waterway allows you to travel on sheltered routes in the Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium even Switzerland, not very salty, but cruising ...

NBs

I came across a YouTube video channel of a Sailor in the Netherlands that single hands a 49' Trawler through the canals and seas of Holland. His boat is well set up and it may be of an interest to those who regularly single hand their vessels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpAMwM1Am9g5bCWCY01lJ4g

I sent him a link to this forum

He has about 3 camera each side plus one aft and one fwd plus at least one in the pilot house plus one on a tripod.
He is not afraid to run one one engine.
He is very confident in boat his boat and auto pilot.

People are amazed when I dock solo, that I walk around the boat while it is moving (engine not engaged) and how slow or long I sit checking things out before I return to the wheelhouse....its just experience.

I’m looking forward to a little more experience and slowing things down a bit.

I’m looking forward to a little more experience and slowing things down a bit.

It's a great feeling.... it does take some time/practice.

Like the joke goes...it's recreational boating... it shouldn't be stressful.

He has a low cost boarding ladder.

Must confess I didn’t watch the videos. Have any of you met Herb Seaton aboard Phantom a 53’ trawler. Former AGLCA Port Captain & quite a character. He has single handed the loop twice. After I watched him doing the Trent Severn Waterway, I added a Bluetooth remote to my Sidepower bow & stern thrusters. Now I single hand all the time.

Have single handed twice from Anacortes to Sitka and back. 34ft CHB. Last time was in Dec. and Jan, 2015. The secret is preparation and extreme safety decisions. That means mustang suit for all the trip. Tethered to boat all the time. Plan every day and every leg completely prior to each days departure. Plan and prepare (spare parts) for everything that can be repaired while underway or at anchor. Expect everything to fail. Remember the weather controls your trip, not a fixed schedule. File a float plan and stick to it. In 22yrs of SAR I've found that if people (family) know where you are and where you should be, You will be found if needed. Single handing can be a great time if you've planned each evolution and followed the plan. It also makes for great cruising.

Back
Top Bottom