Trash handling aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time I went thru NYC the city was still using dumping garbage barges , and going out to sea.

I knew they used to, but didnt know they still did. In any case its true that most sea garbage originates from land. Most in asia, but tons of the stuff from all over the world. From yachts its a minuscule percentage.

That's an interesting definition of littering. Glass object are found in the Mediterranean that were tossed overboard by the ancient Greeks. So if it takes longer to decompose than 2,400 years, it still isn't littering? Well I've got a few junk cars that I would like to dump in your front lawn. Guaranteed to dissolve in 4,600 years. Any problem with that? Maybe the "not in my front yard" objection? But the ocean floor doesn't belong to anybody, so dump away?

False analogy....a glass bottle from ancient times isnt even noriced, but a car on somebodies front lawn is. A better comparison would be with a buried bottle in your yard.

False analogy....a glass bottle from ancient times isnt even noriced, but a car on somebodies front lawn is. A better comparison would be with a buried bottle in your yard.

Yeah... Glass bottles buried in a yard are definitely noticed. I've seen houses built on old farmland that had plenty of glass and other junk dumped over the years. In some cases, the yards actually seemed to grow glass. Pieces would just randomly appear at the surface every now and then.

I'd agree with that. I haven't thrown anything overboard in a long time, but back when I drank a lot on small boats the bottles went over the side, either smashed or filled with water to ensure they didn't float.

One thing often ignored is that 'proper disposal' of most trash means burying it in a local landfill. I don't see why that's any better than burying at sea for a lot of items like glass or organic waste.

Exactly. Its mostly a 'feel good', symbolic move.

"Rules we follow"? Apparently most dont, and ill bet if your cat dies, you wont obey the dead animals rule ether.

Well, obviously you don't and won't follow the rules, because all you have done is argue against them. You asked for suggestions on how people manage trash/garbage on board, and you were offered many good suggestions, along with info on the current regulations. But all you have done is argue/reject all the suggestions (all with no good reason, I might add), and seem intent on continuing to do what you have been doing. Your behavior is the problem, not the solution.

I think nearly everyone one here wants to and tries to be a good mariner, follow the various rules, and be courteous towards their fellow boaters and our boating environment. Many don't know the rules, or have gaps in their knowledge of the rules, but are here to learn and fill the gaps. You might consider doing the same with respect to your trash management on your vessel.

Well, obviously you don't and won't follow the rules, because all you have done is argue against them. You asked for suggestions on how people manage trash/garbage on board, and you were offered many good suggestions, along with info on the current regulations. But all you have done is argue/reject all the suggestions (all with no good reason, I might add), and seem intent on continuing to do what you have been doing. Your behavior is the problem, not the solution.

I think nearly everyone one here wants to and tries to be a good mariner, follow the various rules, and be courteous towards their fellow boaters and our boating environment. Many don't know the rules, or have gaps in their knowledge of the rules, but are here to learn and fill the gaps. You might consider doing the same with respect to your trash management on your vessel.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

My OP was about specifically bottles, and why some people break them before tossing overboard. I think there were two serious answers to that, not 'many'. As to the rest, I already stated that I dont care if others cruise around with their garbage and sewage. And I promise not to dump anything within miles of and land, not even in any of those places where they dump municipal waste in the sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom