Induction, cast iron and pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janice142

Guru
Vessel Name
Seaweed
Vessel Make
Schucker mini-trawler
The boat next to me has an induction burner. He uses cast iron pans. His pancakes always come out with a blackened circle and uncooked edges. So, as a pancake maker of long years I went over to his boat to prove it can be done. Ha. Mine were awful!

So, is there a secret for browned pancakes?

My other thought was for him to purchase one of those waffle makers with the pancake burner inserts that swap into the unit. Not sure how much galley space he has available though...

Does anyone have advice? Thanks.

Put the cast iron on a lower temp for a longer time, let the heat i the pan fully radiate up the side of the pan before you add anything to the pan to cook, just because you get the center of the pan hot almost instantly that doesn’t mean that the heat has transferred out to the edges or up the sides of the pan and that is probably your problem.

We make wonderful crepes and many other things on our induction cooktop using a Mauviel teflon crepe pan. Works great (but don't get the copper versions - they won't work on induction). I admit, we've never tried it with Aunt Jemima, but if it can do delicate crepes without burning, I think it would manage pancakes just fine!

https://www.amazon.com/Mauviel-8620-30-Mstone3-MStone3-Nonstick/dp/B00WTF47DA

I have never thought to cook pancakes in a cast iron frypan.
Maybe that is the problem, try another type of pan.

Last edited:
Put the cast iron on a lower temp for a longer time, let the heat i the pan fully radiate up the side of the pan before you add anything to the pan to cook, just because you get the center of the pan hot almost instantly that doesn’t mean that the heat has transferred out to the edges or up the sides of the pan and that is probably your problem.

That's it. The induction element is usually about 5 inches that heats the center of the pan almost instantly. If you want to cook evenly in a larger pan, you have to wait for the heat to migrate out from the center.

Carbon steel pans work just fine at 1/5th the weight of cast iron (and 1/5th the cost of fancy pans.)

Pancakes are fine, but I'm going upscale with English muffins. Good for breakfast and makes a nice sandwich for lunch.

My induction cook top will only work with pans designed for induction cook tops. I don't "think" cast iron is induction compatible... at least on my cooktop.

We make wonderful crepes and many other things on our induction cooktop using a Mauviel teflon crepe pan. Works great (but don't get the copper versions - they won't work on induction). I admit, we've never tried it with Aunt Jemima, but if it can do delicate crepes without burning, I think it would manage pancakes just fine!

https://www.amazon.com/Mauviel-8620-30-Mstone3-MStone3-Nonstick/dp/B00WTF47DA

A visit to your market will reveal that sadly poor Aunt Jemima has been erased and another woke corporate genius has thrown away decades of good will, marketing expense and customer loyalty. RIP dear Auntie. Generations have trusted you. I've switched to Krust eez and Log Cabin.

I feel so enlightened now that I have had the latest alert posted here about the decline of western white civilization.

Thanks to the input Gents. The neighbor did end up purchasing a fancy waffle maker with removable plates. The unit also comes with inserts for pancakes.

It works perfectly. As an Eggo waffle in the toaster I'm not certain I personally prefer the frozen ones though I've not had any for a very long time -- limited freezer space. Belgium waffles (Hungry Jack brand) are rather sweet in my opinion.

As the boat owner is pleased, I'm glad for him. He/we have not tried pancakes yet in this fancy unit. Cleanup is a breeze -- removable plates makes a world of difference.

Anyway, thank you for the ideas, suggestions and helpful advice. It's appreciated. J.

I feel so enlightened now that I have had the latest alert posted here about the decline of western white civilization.

The story of "Aunt Jemima"/ history of the brand will put the post you find so enlightening in a different context. The family may feel a little slighted by the 'woke' movement.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....:)

The story of "Aunt Jemima"/ history of the brand will put the post you find so enlightening in a different context. The family may feel a little slighted by the 'woke' movement.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....:)

What about it. Since 1889 that pancake mix was sold so it must have been widely accepted. But now the new woke want to change history. The descendants of those live persons who represented the brand opposed the change. What else do you want changed that many of us grew up with and never thought once we were being racist. :banghead:

From Wikipedia:
The term "Aunt Jemima" is sometimes used colloquially as a female version of the derogatory epithet "Uncle Tom" or "Rastus". In this context, the slang term "Aunt Jemima" falls within the "mammy archetype" and refers to a friendly black woman who is perceived as obsequiously servile or acting in, or protective of, the interests of whites.

If being more conscious of derogatory racial terms is being "woke", then I'm glad PepsiCo woke up.

From CNN:
the Aunt Jemima logo is based on a "'mammy,' a devoted and submissive servant who eagerly nurtured the children of her white master and mistress while neglecting her own.

From The Associated Press:
Aunt Jemima was seen as a “mammy” character, a racial stereotype of a slave happy to please her white masters

From the New York Times:
outgrowth of Old South plantation nostalgia and romance grounded in an idea about the ‘mammy,’ a devoted and submissive servant.

From Quaker Oats:
“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, vice president and chief marketing officer of Quaker Foods North America

From The Chicago Tribune:
The smiling Aunt Jemima logo was inspired by the 19th century “mammy” minstrel character, a Black woman content to serve her white masters

From Encyclopedia.com:
From the beginning, many African Americans found the image of the fat, smiling Aunt Jemima with a bandanna on her head to be an insulting glorification of slavery.

My induction cook top will only work with pans designed for induction cook tops. I don't "think" cast iron is induction compatible... at least on my cooktop.

Induction does work with cast iron.

L

Induction does work with cast iron.
ditto

I'm a terrible cook, but induction made me better. I mostly use cast iron and can do pancakes fine. Some cast iron pans have a fluted bottom for gas flame cooking and doesn't work as well for induction.

You can also buy a disk that transfers heat from the induction to any pan type.
I have a diesel stove and usually cook pancakes directly on the stove top.

Cast iron doesn't conduct heat all that well, so if the heat source is smaller than the pan, it takes a while to get it all good and hot. But it's great for pancakes, as it holds heat well. So even without a super powerful stove turned up to 11 it won't lose much temperature when you put the pancake batter in.

Induction is not a heat source but a magnetic field source that induce current in your pan that in return create heat when current flows in a resistive conductor. So cast iron is very good for induction as magnetic but also resistive. This is also why copper is not as it is a very good conductor so very less resistive so produce very little heat.

L

Maybe we need a "Boat Cookery" Section.

As with all types of electric cookers the pan must be the same size as the burner for even heat.

I have to make a couple comments because I do all the cooking on the boat and at home, for the most part. I don't have an induction stove but a normal electric one. I use a quality aluminum non-stick Caphalon pan on the boat and it works well. I have gone through a couple sets of Caphalon in my life and always was happy with them. Until recently when I bought these on sale at Costco for $60.

https://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-J-H...ocphy=9003386&hvtargid=pla-700498185095&psc=1

I have tried different nonstick teflon and ceramic pans in the past and have never found anything that works as well as these. They are good quality and heavy weight aluminum, but the coating is very tough and more nonstick than anything I ever tried. They actually work like shown on TV with things just sliding out of the pan. I have had them several months now and they still look and perform like new. The coating is amazing, try them! BTW, I own a cast iron pan, but wouldn't think of using it for pancakes anyway.

Regarding Aunt Jemima. I get it that some may find it offensive. What I find hilarious and more than a little hypocritical, is that they removed the picture and changed the name, but not really. Notice in the bottom of the front label it says "New Name, Same Great Taste - Aunt Jemima". So although the company made a sympolic jesture to the woke pressure, they were not willing to completely give up on the name and the loyal following to that brand. Anyway, if you really like Aunt Jemima, it's still the same product in different packaging.

https://www.amazon.com/Peal-Milling...2b291&pd_rd_wg=j1Zi7&pd_rd_i=B08ZZVL6TV&psc=1

Well there's almost no point in boating if you can't have good pancakes!

cast iron pancakes

I use cast iron for virtually everything and make pancakes often. Very simple. Use very low heat and a lid. Flip when top is pretty much done, but not quite, with lots of bubbles. You can get them as brown as you like, but they will be done just fine with very little color. Clive

Wife’s grandfather made one of the cast iron frypans we use. One of my kids will inherit it. They last forever. Like several of our ceramic stoneware pie plates which aren’t glazed on the inside it never sees dish soap. Both wife and I enjoy cooking and have done courses for entertainment. Prefer electric conduction for baking, steam oven for delicate things but prefer a gas range. Except for pancakes. Then a steel griddle is best imho. Knock off a bunch quickly. Freeze the majority with parchment paper or tinfoil in between. . Easy to have pancakes for one if she wants to get out of bed later or wants something else. People tap trees around here. Anything but true maple syrup is a sacrilege.

Regarding Aunt Jemima. I get it that some may find it offensive. What I find hilarious and more than a little hypocritical, is that they removed the picture and changed the name, but not really. Notice in the bottom of the front label it says "New Name, Same Great Taste - Aunt Jemima". So although the company made a symbolic gesture to the woke pressure, they were not willing to completely give up on the name and the loyal following to that brand. Anyway, if you really like Aunt Jemima, it's still the same product in different packaging.
We used have the cheese brand,"Coon Cheese". I believe there was a Mr. Coon involved. Now called "Cheer Cheese".

We used have the cheese brand,"Coon Cheese". I believe there was a Mr. Coon involved. Now called "Cheer Cheese".

Bruce, what is the inference of coon & cheer down under.

I know coon was a reference to a black or a racoon.
From a company that used coon, Cheer Cheese sounds like a reference to Cheesecake which in turn was a reference to scantily clad women. :popcorn:

Bruce, what is the inference of coon & cheer down under.

I know coon was a reference to a black or a racoon.
From a company that used coon, Cheer Cheese sounds like a reference to Cheesecake which in turn was a reference to scantily clad women. :popcorn:
I suspect "Coon" has a racial aspect for some, not for me. As to "Cheer", "Cheers" has some context of toasting with a drink, or a pleasantry in a farewell. Probably liked by some Focus group.

I suspect "Coon" has a racial aspect for some, not for me. As to "Cheer", "Cheers" has some context of toasting with a drink, or a pleasantry in a farewell. Probably liked by some Focus group.

Cheers would not have gotten my previous question. Ok, if cheer is not a slang so be it. Cheers Cheese has a better ring.

Back
Top Bottom