Attaching video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William983

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tortuga Roja
Vessel Make
Oceans PT Sundeck 46
Is it possible to attach a video?

Yes William. I think you just follow basically the same process as for any photo, following the process explained here in the sticky in this same section, called 'How to post pictures.'

You can embed a YouTube video (provided it's on topic) in a post. Just copy the url of the video from your browser address line and paste it into your post. The video will display when you make the post.

Yep, that works for Youtube stuff - let's see if a simple iPhone video works like I said. We had this visitor at our home just this evening - cute young kanga...cropping the nature strip outside our house. No, only a still loaded, not a short video. Ok, sorry. You obviously have to save it to a URL outside your photos file, then link to that URL.
Let's see...

Attachments

• 80596E80-8A70-43EE-BCCC-BA7917834DB5.jpg
    80596E80-8A70-43EE-BCCC-BA7917834DB5.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 21
I could not insert video directly. Had to upload to YouTube first, took about 5 minutes. At the end copy the link and paste here.

https://youtu.be/TAtQLY8Yy7g

Tip
Your youtube account uses your email address, I used the one listed on this forum

YouTube has three categories of video visibility : Public - Private - Unlisted
Change the visibility of your video to Unlisted so it won't show up in search results , Unlisted videos are not searchable unless you have a link : You have YouTube content you want to show or post to an audience without the world seeing ? the Unlisted setting does the trick

For video-sharing YouTube was OK in the pre-cloud days ; now today’s world of file and video-sharing offers nearly endless better and safer options , many file-sharing services have evolved into full-blown collaboration platforms from basic consumer to professional-level : Giants like Dropbox , Box, Google , Microsoft, and Apple , as well as smaller companies like MediaFire and Tresorit , all offer online cloud storage options that include file-sharing and collaboration features

Nowadays with the big players and some lesser-known services , video sharing is as easy as clicking a “share” button and then posting or sending the link ; with way better enhanced security and privacy than your YouTube account

I have never been able to post a YouTube link or embed code and have it show up here in the video player. For me it always appears as just the link. As an example I will post the link to a public video I made:

https://youtu.be/53hzlYfw5c8

No video player.

And some people think I am a professional video guy... Ha!

I have never been able to post a YouTube link or embed code and have it show up here in the video player. For me it always appears as just the link. As an example I will post the link to a public video I made:

No video player.

And some people think I am a professional video guy... Ha!

Open your YouTube link in Safari or Chrome or Firefox instead of YouTube App,
An Internet browser will create a YouTube.com link instead of YouTu.be
Copy the YouTube.com link from your internet browser then paste into your TF post, You will be fine

OK La Mer, here goes...

Woo hoo!!!! Thank you, La Mer!

After 10 years I can finally do it right!

Apologies, William, for hijacking your thread. Hope this helps, though...

You can embed a YouTube video (provided it's on topic) in a post. Just copy the url of the video from your browser address line and paste it into your post. The video will display when you make the post.

And thank you, Larry, for spelling it out in plain English so even an idiot could understand. Except me, evidently... Doh!

They say you can make things foolproof but hard to make them idiot-proof! No disrespect intended!

Back
Top Bottom